Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My Simple Kiln $31 Bucks and an old Fridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

grgfinney

Didnt see you put it together settings are good,is yours vented or not?I just put the last batch of suckers in the kiln,smells like wet hay, about 2to3 weeks in it smells really good

Rickey60

Right now I am not venting. I am going to bring humidity up to around 85%. I am only on third day of week one.

Muggs

Banned
My insulated wooden box looks a little smaller than your fridge. The main reason I am looking into compressed bricks for curing etc.

Running mine with crockpot on low setting, I could easily have a stable temperature between 125-135F with RH 70-75. I have a vent at the top to control humidity. Hardly need to touch it.

View attachment 7425

With no water in crock pot, it got to 167F on high setting which seemed close to the max. I don't believe flue curing is an option running a crock pot dry and on the high setting for too long.

Removing the knob on the crock pot lid, enabled me to insert the tubing to keep the water level topped up. This way, I have great control to keep the humidity down should I need to.
I have a small crock pot.highest temp I get with that is 140.
On high,not sure on the Humidity.the leaves are a little damp,
Using it to Flue cure.at least I think.still not sure on the different methods of curing

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Color-curing occurs at temps below 104°F.

Kilning requires a temp of about 125-130°F. Higher than 140°F destroys the primary oxidizing (aging) enzyme. Flue-curing requires reaching a minimum temp of 165°F.

So, if you are attempting to flue-cure at 140, it is capable of producing nice bright leaf. But that temp will not kill out the stem, and may present a problem with mold during storage. 140°F is definitely too hot for tobacco kilning.

Bob

Muggs

Banned
Oh no,I'm not running the temp at 140.thats as high a temp as my crock pot will go on high,at the low setting it runs around 110,not sure what the Humidity runs.the leave are not wet just damp.

Status
Not open for further replies.