Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New from Texas - Need a grow plan

peterd

I have modified v6 with much shorter legs.

The previous version came to 38.33 board feet of lumber, of which the current most economical 2x4 $/foot configuration to purchase seems to be the 2x4x8. All up, lumber investment is $32.50.

Reading through the store descriptions, the LED shoplights come with 10" adjustment chains. The tallest typical transplant size are usually my peppers which are at or around 7" tall at transplant with most other vegetables being transplanted at much smaller heights.

1020_Shoplight_Frame_v6.png

With the shortened legs, board feet only drops 4 feet down to 34.33 in lumber. The height reduction is better for getting lights closer to seedlings at the cost of using the frame to overwinter taller potted plants indoors.

1020_Shoplight_Frame_v6_Front.png

At maximum 10" extension the chain gets you approximately 2" off the surface of the grow trays (after you have removed the taller plastic domes from the trays) and shortening the chain length to maximum will get your shoplights close to 12" above the seedlings, this appears to be plenty of height capacity before the seedlings get hardened off and transplanted.

Looking at the a quick shop competition on the market, Amazon for $56 has a frame but it handles only a single light.

56dollar.png

The only other competition on Amazon at $98 but has parts I don't need or want and again limited to a single shoplight.

96dollar.png

For myself at least, even at the cost of lumber today this has a stronger argument to build rather than looking at alternatives to buy.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
One approach to a seed starting/seedling station:

Bob

billy

if your trying to save money 2x4's are pretty overkill. my growing station is 6 feet tall with different shelves, junk piled on it and lights hanging from 2 layers and trays of wet dirt. and 2x2's holds that just fine. your design could probably hold a motorbike parked on top.

and idk what your situation is like for space or whatever. but if you build up with shelves out of 2x2's its very convenient in the off season cause everyone needs more shelf space. rather than something you take apart and put away.

Last edited:

peterd

I have the floor space, the room is low south facing windows perfect for natural sun assist to the lights on the seedlings and lets light and views in general so I don't want shelves or plants in the way year round, only for seedling starts so for me a temporary design is best fit solution.

I was already shown the metal shelving setups by other local growers and I shopped around and looked at them with a critical eye and to me, everyone is different, cold metal shelving looks pretty cheap and nasty in my house or cold and industrial. Its not for me.

shelve3.jpg

Maybe someone else wants this and that's fine, I don't try to tell anyone what they should get if they want metal, plastic, wood, in the house, on a shelf, on the floor or out in an outside facing enclosed room c'est la vie. If I had my wish, not likely with my HOA, I'd have an outdoors greenhouse with wire shelving and instead of 1020 trays I'd be using plug trays for market gardeners and plug nursery trade.

shelve1.jpg

Not in my house.

shelve2.jpg

Not in my house.

peterd

648276AB-C722-43A4-8966-81C5219234CD.jpeg

Of more import to the crowd here, the germination station is now operating at capacity. The first round of early seed starts have been cleared off and the second round of seed starts is now in play. This includes all my tobacco varieties to trial this year in the mulch system this year. The rest are 80% of annual flowers and vegetables up to the brassicas.

Once germination has commenced trays are removed from the heat and put under lights.

peterd

397A0FE7-6C18-4199-9F82-E6704C7AEEF5.jpeg

Legs are done

0A8628DB-534C-4D29-B8E8-51DC5E60FBE0.jpeg

No glue needed. The Japanese LegZilla Forrest monster is complete.

7ED422FA-987A-4428-9E3F-73A5D85B35C1.jpeg

And six hangers done. Which means this project is done. The only other piece is the 2x4 support spine which needs no cuts.

Edit: UPS arrived with the lights, perfect timing!

burge

I am someone that likes to do things themselves, I've brewed beers, meads, wines, I make my own tools, repair things and even program my own micro-controllers for automation projects.

That said I want to start growing tobacco but have "zero" idea where to start. What I need is a plan of attack, timings and varieties for my area.

First my details:-

a. Texas, USDA Zone 8b -- Summers are hot and humid and its green everywhere come spring/summer. There doesn't seem to be much of a fall/autumn period it just seems to go from hot to having to put on the heating for the start of winter.
b. My frost-free growing season is around 238 days -- I may be able to do more than one crop? -- they grow corn across the road, maybe being in the farmland border to the city means I will have more farm crop pests?

My area's Dave's Garden report:
Each winter, on average, my risk of frost is from November 13 through March 20.
1. Almost certainly, however, I will receive frost from December 1 through February 28.
2. You are almost guaranteed that I will not get frost from April 10 through October 29.

My tobacco use:
Pipe and Water Pipe, occasional cigar. No inhale, no cigarettes.

I may be able to squeeze in a crop this year since I could go out to just about December before frost if I am lucky but its most likely I will need to plan for first start next season.
I need some help figuring out dates and if anyone has a clue about what varieties I should start with based on my use cases that would help as right now I don't know how many of what variety I will need to blend with so I could end up growing a lot of something I would only use 5% of in a blend in too much quantity and not enough of what I need as my main tobacco mix ingredient.

I can grow tomatoes and vegetables, but I just moved to Texas recently and every plant I brought with me got eaten by the local pests with my guess is its from having hobby farms across the street and proper farms just behind them.

My backyard is all grass so I would need to prepare it but this is the first time I am working with clay soils of Texas. I can rent a tiller if needed and till the grass under to make beds.
Welcome how did your grow go?

peterd

Here is a test setup. One thing of note, my latest 2x4x8s were short by 3 1/2”. First time I’ve run into this all my 2x4x8s I measured from prior buys are the full 8 feet. I don’t know if it’s pandemic related sawmill shorting on board foot length or I’ve just not run into this before.

I’ve used an old warped board as a temporary support beam. I’m now looking at this and thinking maybe I’ll just make single units for each set of four trays. The overall hanger system is working great no changes there. With the physical lights to take measurements from I can make sure there is no cord or light frame impact at all chain lengths and adjust the design as needed.

Chain length is perfect one first go out of the CAD/CAM design. Even though I didn’t design it for overwintered pots they seem to fit perfectly under the lights when the chains are raised near maximum adjustments.

B9FD5B44-28D2-4672-99F1-07EE54E3D5F0.jpeg

peterd

7F257B0A-8D48-4A4A-9508-5B6E4D4CCB02.jpeg

Using the same concept but with my workstation replacing the legs. Now I have an extra grow light space. If I was really pressed I could lay a shelf on top and get another.

Orchard order arrives today, last chance to work on this for a few days dedicated to planting.

peterd

Definitely, I just used all that solarization plastic cover on my entire front garden. Just removed it now, neighbors still have their pillow case covers out. I am meeting up with the sheriff behind me one street over in a bit. I am going to give him my grape vines in my orchard order as they need to go into the ground within a week of receipt but I am starting jury duty Monday. My trees can wait in dormant mode in the garage but the vines need to go out after jury duty is done.

peterd

On the tobacco seedling front, I did both the jar method and the tray method this go around. So far my jars are outperforming the 1020 trays in both number of germination and quality of seedlings. I am going to grow out both but I may be a jar guy from now on for at least tobacco starts. Fun times comes later with the tweezers to do transplantation out of jars.

peterd

Yes. I have used domes on 1020 trays, and I have used cling film plastic wrap on 1020 trays and then jars sealed. So far the jars win, primarily because germination rates are different amongst the varieties so unless you do an entire tray in one variety you'll either pull the dome off and trays off the heat too early for some variety but too late for another. With jars its all dedicated to a single variety. My most early productive variety out of eight that is reaching ahead of others for the growth spurt seems to be herzogovina flor this grow around.

Google maps satellite view is nice for estimations, but due to slant angles and large shadows you cannot get the exact corners or edges of walls. I did an actual tape measure of most of the wall to wall and wall to fence and fence to fence and I have gained more planting space.

Old satellite based start of planning

1644338491611.png

Current planning with only a few updated real tape measurements of most but not all wall to wall and fence to fence and fence to wall.

1644339380944.png

And a big block patch option for the sunny Southern side for corn or an extra 3x47 of tobacco or whatever. This last one has the most up to date wall to wall and fence to fence and fence to wall measures with only a few on the north side left to complete.

1644339362242.png

I've only a single European grape variety, they are susceptible to various disease in the south so I will see how mine fares side-by-side with native grape vines and if its trash, I'll remove it and fill it in with more native grapes which I have expansion slots for another 4-5 of them.

Edit: this style of row edge systems of inter planting under story trees, bush layer and annuals all mixed together is known as Grocery Rows.

Last edited: