Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pics of some interesting tobacco flowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Since almost ALL tobacco flowers are pink I thought I'd show a few that don't fit the mold

This is Huehuetenango (PI 130978) a very tasty, mild cigar filler. The flower is pure white

Flowers 003.jpg

And this is a Peruvian Primitive type (PI 117026) A very dense red color. The only other red I've seen is when I grew Copan last year.

Flowers 002.jpg

DGBAMA

Still amazes me how many varieties there are and how different they are in growth and appearance.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Here's my Balikesir, from 2012:

Garden20120804_438_Balikesir_blossom_400.jpg

Bob

leverhead

I've got a few too.

One of my Ozbas plants had dark pink flowers, The rest were standard pale pink.

Ozbas 061413.JPG

Most of my Hungarians had at least one flower each like this, it looks like some kind of double flower.

Herzegovina 061813 a.JPGHerzegovina 061813 b.JPG

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if the relative lack of spreading and lengthening of the bud head (which I assume to be a genetic trait) on many Hungarian varieties increases the probability of those "twin" blossoms.

Bob

leverhead

The three Hungarians are Bitlis, Haskowo and Herzegovina Lecce. By appearance, they differ only in scale and leaf count and the leaves of the three are pretty puckered. Those double flowers make very large seed pods, I'll try to take a picture tomorrow. They're not big plants, the Haskowo and Herzegovina Lecce aren't quite 4' tall and the Bitlis is only about 1' tall. If the soil would stay firm, they'd be very wind resistant.

JessicaNicot

aberrant mutant flowers occur naturally as a chance developmental defect. oddly enough, when I see them they are usually the first open flower on the main plant or on a sucker. other common floral development defects include either 1 or 3 ovaries (instead of the normal 2) and 6+ pointed flowers that also have more than 5 stamens. the flowers are probably my favorite part and I've begun taking pictures of them in addition to the whole plant shots. they are very diverse with some having rounded lobes instead of pointy, and others having no lobing at all with just a circular disc basically. colors range in all shades from white to the very dark cerise (aka "red"), with some varieties even displaying shades that are more peach in nature than a true pink.

JessicaNicot

well, I had a couple more cool pics to share but the uploader apparently doesn't like them. its too bad because they were some of the most unusual flowers.

JessicaNicot

well the file loader and I are just going to fight today. here are two more (eventho I tried to upload 6! ugh...) TI 705_F.jpgTI 722R_F.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Some Genetic Hiccups

Garden20130719_805_geneticMosaic_FLSumatra_400.jpg

A splotch of chlorophyll deficient cells in an otherwise healthy leaf.

The Mutki blossom, below, has two normal stamens and one runty stamen.

Garden20130719_799_squareBlossom_Mutki_400.jpg

As Jessica predicted, this unusual square blossom (only 4 petals instead of 5) appeared as the first blossom to open on this Mutki.

Bob

JessicaNicot

ok so here is the info for the flowers above (in order):

TI#; PI#; name; origin

TI 158; PI 404994; Kagoshima-maruba; Japan
TI 275; PI 112234; (no name); El Verde, Sinaloa, Mexico
TI 288; PI 111459; (no name); Florencia, Comisario del Putumayo, Colombia
TI 450; PI 113561; (no name); Rastrojos, Tolima, Colombia
TI 197; PI 112164; "Cordoba type"; Veracruz, Mexico
TI 705; PI 116079; Copanico Flor Blanco; Honduras
TI 722R; (no PI or name); Santa Rosa, Cuzco, Peru

JessicaNicot

uh oh-- I just realized there is probably a seed mixup in the past as TI 705 doesn't have white flowers (flor blanco). i'll see what previous observations I can find for that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.