Whole Leaf Tobacco

Squeezyjohn's homemade snus recipe and method

squeezyjohn

There is just enough room to float a 3 cup glass canning jar in the breadmaker pan.
Since the temperatures involved are below boiling, I assume no pressures are created that would break the jar.
I am fairly certain that the 10amp relay built into the W1209 controller would handle a crock pot as well.

My first batch of snus has been aging a week. I used 5 parts Virginia to 1 part Burley for this blend.
I may have made a mistake, and did not completely dry the leaves before grinding.

The taste is not horrible and the nicotine is certainly present. However the aroma leaves a bit to be desired.
It does not have the rich scent of commercial snus, it is more of a 'green', raw scent.
Does completely drying the leaves and rehydrating during snus making alter the scent profile in anyone's experience?
In my experience a snus made almost entirely of flue cured virginia does have a bit of an insipid, almost green, taste ... this is not caused by failing to grind the leaves when they were fully dry - the only reason I stipulated to make sure the leaf was crispy dry before grinding is that it makes the process easier and the snus-flour finer. I don't know what temperature you used to cook - but I find that if the snus is under-cooked you get a lack of richness in the flavour too.

Snusser

Thanks again for the recipe Squeezyjohn!

My first batch was cooked with salt at 85 degrees C for 24 hours.
The carbonate was added and a further 12 hours at 75 degrees C.

I have my favorite commercial snus on hand and find myself reaching for your recipe results as my preferred already.
Your recipe is going to save me a ton of money and the product is better. :D

Snusser

;) None of my batches are lasting that long...

I think the unappetizing scent of my first batch was from it being cooked way too wet and totally sealed to the atmosphere.
I also sprinkled in the carbonate dry, but I don't suspect that was the cause.
In garden compost terms, it may have gone anaerobic during the cook.

Batch 2:
100g Virginia Brightleaf, dried, ground and sifted into flour.
7g Salt
85g Water
24 hours @ 85 degrees C.
Remove from heat.
7.5g Carbonate solution in 16g of water.
15 hours @ 85 degrees C.
Results: Yes, it is insipid with only Virginia. Not much of a nic content either. I'll still use it. :D
The finished batch also needed to be dried in the oven to get the moisture down from the cook.
It was cooked in a sealed jar with no stirring. It took a week for the ammonia smell to settle down.

Batch 3:
150g Virginia Brightleaf, dried, ground and sifted into flour.
50g Burley, dried, ground and sifted into flour.
16g Salt
135g Water
6 hours @ 66 degrees C.
20 hours @ 85 degrees C.
Remove from heat.
16g Carbonate solution in 40g of water.
12 hours @ 66 degrees C.
I cooked this batch with no lid, and stirred the contents of the jar a few times during the cook to keep the snus 'breathing'.
Results: Batch 3 has been ageing for only a day and smells almost like snus should already. The ammonia smell is almost gone.
It hand bakes into a pris perfectly with this moisture content. Progress!

One notable thing about all of the batches. No drip at all. None. Every commercial brand I have tried starts dripping at some point. Not this stuff!

Snusser

There is plenty of store bought General and Camel snus in the fridge. It isn't getting used. Batch 4 is that good.
It is the same Whole Leaf Tobacco, Flue cured Virginia Bright Leaf and all naturally grown Burley I have been using for the other batches.

This blend has 4 parts Burley to 1 part Virginia.
The major difference in technique was to add the sodium carbonate dry and stir the snus every few hours during the cook.

48 hours after the cook, and the ammonia smell is 95% gone.
I added about 6 drops of propylene glycol to a tin holding about 10g of this batch. No difference in forming a pris as far as I can tell and a very minimal sweet taste.

With no drip, there is no taste to speak of. The tobacco will sting if it hits the tongue, but no problem of burning when placed in the lip.
There is no looking back when home made is better than any store bought. :D

raucher

Good luck with your batch SmokesAhoy! I've tried fire-cured and latakia in my blends even down to as low as 2% and I just can't stand the taste it ends up being after the snus processing has done it's job ... I find that the cooking and alkali tends to leave even a trace of fire-cured with a dreadful bitter and burnt rubber taste ... it ends up nothing like the fragrant smoky leaf it started off as!
I just made my first ever small batch of snus with the following tobacco varieties:
Maryland 609 55g
Tennessee Dark Fire Cured 87g
Homegrown B-grade and some green leaves of Unknown Virginia variety 31g
Katerini 74g

I used 25g of sea salt and 25g of sodium carbonate.

After one day from cooking I am using the product and am quite happy with the result. No burnt rubber smells or anything like that. The color is really black. Taste is excellent. Maybe slightly sweet thanks to the added Katerini? It will be nice to see if this develops to even better taste over time. If it will last that long that is...