Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

State of the Forum address

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
My fellow Fair Trade Tobacco forum members. The past 18 months have been nothing short of a nightmare. C19 and all of its implications have consumed enormous amounts of time, money, and energy...I miss the daily banter with you guys. USPS has probably been the biggest headache. In the last tally, in the past year and a half, we've had close to 1000 orders missing, delayed, returned, confiscated, etc. etc. A full-time employee has been hired just to file claims and follow up on these orders. The worst part about these missing orders is the customers almost always blame us...and in a way, I can't blame them, but of course, the situation is completely out of our hands. I'm not sure if anyone here has received one, but we started putting GPS trackers in select packages (usually those with higher value) and we can now locate and call that post office to request they get the package moving again. I can go on and on about USPS, but I won't bore you and I think you get the gist.

C19 also forced us to comply with conditions by our overly protective governor which became a circus and then a joke, but in order to stay open, we had to comply, so we did. On April 18 at 3:00 in the morning, I received an email from our credit card processor that our account had been suspended and that all of our money would be held for 6 months to cover all potential "disputes" from customers. Any reasonable person would know that 100% of our previous 6 months of orders would not be disputed, but nonetheless, they held our money. They were nice enough to allow us to keep accepting orders, but we couldn't access any of the money from new orders either.

Luckily, due to the loss of customers because of our history with lost, missing, delayed packages, we were able to reduce the number of warehouse employees. Unfortunately, the remaining employees soon realized the government would pay them more to stay home than by having a good-paying full-time job. We had two choices...increase the hourly wage or go out of business. Even after raising the wages, we still kept losing employees...life is just a lot easier if you don't have to work. I ran help wanted ads, put the word out with everyone I knew that I needed help. One ad generated 12 replies, not a single person came in to fill out an application. This happened several times. Not one single person was hired from placing help wanted ads...not one. Our workforce is now largely made up of non-English speaking immigrants. We've had to reduce the number of grades of certain tobaccos to eliminate confusion. We have had to resort to using symbols to identify products because of the language barrier.

Many functions of the website and forum have been removed due to the cost of hiring a tech who is able to fix the issues. We've tried to find someone, but everyone wants a $10,000 a year contract just to do general maintenance. We have recently found someone locally who says he can fix the problems, but that is yet to be seen. A huge "thank you" to the mods who have been able to hold the forum together in my absence.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, but I think you've already suffered through enough.

I'm tired,
Don Carey (FmGrowit)

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Wow! Thanks for battling against the odds. Wouldn’t it be nice if the government sent those checks to business owners to help them pay people to actual work?
We did get a small assistance loan, but since one of my business partners past away, we can't do anything until his estate is settled. By the time that is done, I'm sure all of the gubmint money will have been claimed.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I know it's more expensive, but UPS or FedEx is so-much-more reliable, and has better tracking.
If you offered this option, I know I'd use it.
I've lost lots of online orders because of USPS, in the last decade.
Fedex won't touch tobacco of any kind. We've had a UPS account for about a year now.

Colorado Dave

My fellow Fair Trade Tobacco forum members. The past 18 months have been nothing short of a nightmare. C19 and all of its implications have consumed enormous amounts of time, money, and energy...I miss the daily banter with you guys. USPS has probably been the biggest headache. In the last tally, in the past year and a half, we've had close to 1000 orders missing, delayed, returned, confiscated, etc. etc. A full-time employee has been hired just to file claims and follow up on these orders. The worst part about these missing orders is the customers almost always blame us...and in a way, I can't blame them, but of course, the situation is completely out of our hands. I'm not sure if anyone here has received one, but we started putting GPS trackers in select packages (usually those with higher value) and we can now locate and call that post office to request they get the package moving again. I can go on and on about USPS, but I won't bore you and I think you get the gist.

C19 also forced us to comply with conditions by our overly protective governor which became a circus and then a joke, but in order to stay open, we had to comply, so we did. On April 18 at 3:00 in the morning, I received an email from our credit card processor that our account had been suspended and that all of our money would be held for 6 months to cover all potential "disputes" from customers. Any reasonable person would know that 100% of our previous 6 months of orders would not be disputed, but nonetheless, they held our money. They were nice enough to allow us to keep accepting orders, but we couldn't access any of the money from new orders either.

Luckily, due to the loss of customers because of our history with lost, missing, delayed packages, we were able to reduce the number of warehouse employees. Unfortunately, the remaining employees soon realized the government would pay them more to stay home than by having a good-paying full-time job. We had two choices...increase the hourly wage or go out of business. Even after raising the wages, we still kept losing employees...life is just a lot easier if you don't have to work. I ran help wanted ads, put the word out with everyone I knew that I needed help. One ad generated 12 replies, not a single person came in to fill out an application. This happened several times. Not one single person was hired from placing help wanted ads...not one. Our workforce is now largely made up of non-English speaking immigrants. We've had to reduce the number of grades of certain tobaccos to eliminate confusion. We have had to resort to using symbols to identify products because of the language barrier.

Many functions of the website and forum have been removed due to the cost of hiring a tech who is able to fix the issues. We've tried to find someone, but everyone wants a $10,000 a year contract just to do general maintenance. We have recently found someone locally who says he can fix the problems, but that is yet to be seen. A huge "thank you" to the mods who have been able to hold the forum together in my absence.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, but I think you've already suffered through enough.

I'm tired,
Don Carey (FmGrowit)
Have you considered providing info on individual growers/warehousers who would be able to provide your services? That info would be fantastic. Or provide your customer list to anyone able to take over your services.
Again, small dealers/farmers may just open up for sales. A possibility?

stdly

In Ontario Canada we have EI employment insurance for people out of work it pays around 55% of your wage it only last a certain amount of time and you need to have worked a certain amount of time.

But they also have something called Work Share it is the same EI benefits but a company applies for it, and instead of laying off people they will pay the employees 55% of their wage for any time off during this benefit period calculated from their regular hours.

My company has been on this for the past 8 months the employees only need to work 1 hour a week to qualify. It has saved us losing some valued employees.

I don’t know if this is a thing in the USA.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Have you considered providing info on individual growers/warehousers who would be able to provide your services? That info would be fantastic. Or provide your customer list to anyone able to take over your services.
Again, small dealers/farmers may just open up for sales. A possibility?
We aren't going out of business. All orders are still shipped within 24 hours of receiving them. The warehouse is full of inventory.

skychaser

the remaining employees soon realized the government would pay them more to stay home than by having a good-paying full-time job. We had two choices...increase the hourly wage or go out of business. Even after raising the wages, we still kept losing employees...life is just a lot easier if you don't have to work. I ran help wanted ads, put the word out with everyone I knew that I needed help. One ad generated 12 replies, not a single person came in to fill out an application. This happened several times. Not one single person was hired from placing help wanted ads...not one.
Pretty much the same experience for me this year. I had a friend who talked all winter about how he wanted to help me out all this year. Known him for 5 years now. I actually thought he was going to be the guy to take over for me when I hang up my hoe. When spring came I got 2 days work out of him over a week before he just stopped showing up. He actually said to me one day "why should I work if the gov is going to pay me not to?" heh I could give him several reasons, but what ever. He's 32. Hasn't worked in 18 months now and is fine with it. I'd hang myself if I didn't work for that long. We aren't friends any more. So I put an add on craigslist. Got 2 replies in 20 minutes. And another a couple hours later. Hired them all to help me plant 5000 poppies I needed to get in that week. The day before planting day one of them e-mailed me saying she had changed her mind. Didn't want to work out in the sun. This was the first of May when it was 70 degrees. At least she bothered to let me know. The other two guys just never showed up that morning. I was offering $17 an hour in cash at the end of the day. And a bonus for anyone who stayed until it was done. So I ended up working 14 hour days trying to get them all planted, which I did. But it set me back on everything else. I worked harder this summer than I ever have trying to keep up. I had contracts to fill and I keep my word, what ever it takes. If I ever hire anyone again my first question will be "what have you been doing since March of 2020?" Nothing? I will never hire anyone who has at on their ass for the last 18 months. When uncle sugar cuts off the free money, I hope they end up living under a bridge and they all starve! No sympathy here. I am about ready to go Galt and stop feeding the beast. It's the only way to kill it that I can see. Starve the beast until it dies! And all the lazy f***'s who live off it.

End rant.

peterd

By now, you've probably heard about the Great Resignation.

Coined by psychologist Anthony Klotz, the trend involves millions of Americans dropping out of the workforce throughout the economy as it reopened more and more. Over 3.6 million people quit in April, May, June, and July, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

According to a recent analysis by the Harvard Business Review that looked at 9 million employee records from more than 4,000 companies, midcareer employees are driving the quits. Resignation rates are highest among 30- to 45-year-old employees, increasing on average by more than 20% over the past year.

Brown Thumb

Thanks for hanging in there Don, Being in business myself I cannot get anyone to work.
I’m working 7 days a week trying to make ends meet.
I’m ready to throw in the towel sell the place and get a job at Amazon for 25 bucks a hr.

Homegrowngoodnes

I never knew anything like this was allowed or i would have probably started years ago! With our family situation and working full time plus "mandatory" overtime i dont really have the time to go fishing. Kudos on doing what you do, Fmgrowit! The world would be a better place if more of us had the same ethic.

Status
Not open for further replies.