Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The Tobacco History, Books, and Resources Thread.

Levi Gross

It is my sincere desire that this thread will complement the works and efforts of those who helped cultivate my love and interest in tobacco, those long-standing founding members and the creators of FTT, without whom my love affair with Ladies N. & R. would have been brief. I hope this serves and continues grow the forums already vast number of informational resources.

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/nc01.ark:/13960/t6f26f00t History and Status of Tobacco Culture. WW Garner, EG Moss HS Yohe, et al. 1922
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/hvd.32044011263761 The Planters of Colonial Virginia. TJ Wertenbaker 1922
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uc1.b3128369 The Story of Tobacco in America. JC Robert 1949
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uva.x001042544 George Arents Collection. Duke Univ. 1941

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi Gross

Last edited by a moderator:

HillDweller

Tobacco. Its history, varieties, culture, manufacture and commerce, with an account of its various modes of use, from its first discovery until now.

by Billings, E. R
Available here: https://archive.org/details/tobacco...+Varieties,+Culture,+Manufacture+and+Commerce
Though I downloaded at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0082RB1WE/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title
and they have a paperback version.
The now referred to in the title is 1875. Gives a history of tobacco from it's discovery by Europeans up to that time. Talks about cultivation and curing methods around the world. Some of it seems a bit fanciful. Includes some song and poetry in homage to the plant.

Levi Gross

Here is what inspired me to have this History Section created. Thanks again @deluxestogie There is nothing here that the serious lover and student of tobacco does not already know. It is however the first APA style paper I have ever written, about two of my favorite Ladies!!!

A Brief History of Tobacco

Gross Levi E.

Ivy Tech Community College

Overview

Though this is not to be considered a full and complete history of tobacco, it is well intentioned to give the reader a formal introduction to the “obnoxious weed.” Tobacco has held a place in the hearts and minds of men since time immemorial. It has been deified as well as vilified to everything in-between. From ancient ritualistic use to its modern-day use for pleasure; tobacco has always been a subject of interest and debate. I hereby warmly introduce you to Ladies N. Tabacum and N. Rustica. “The Nicotiana sisters.”

A Brief History of Tobacco

Welcome to A Brief History of Tobacco. I hope you take as much pleasure in the reading as I did of the writing of this document. May it provoke within in you thought, interest, and the ability to draw your own conclusion about “that obnoxious yet most sacred weed.”

Origins​

In the jungles of Chiapas, southern Mexico lays the Temple of the Cross at Palenque. The foundation date having been translated as March 12, 432 A. D. This has been done by correlating Maya chronology day for day with our present way of recording time. Beside the doorway is carved an old man with a tubular pipe up to his lips from which smoke can be seen. It is believed that the old man is a Maya shaman performing a ritual offering of tobacco to the sun. The ancient Maya held many calendarial ceremonies and believed themselves to be theocrats and spokesmen for the gods.

One of whom is the Maya High Priest Ah Kin May. The name being translated as Lord Sun Keeper or Lord Sun Tobacco Incense. When speaking about the Maya and artifacts found in Peru and Ecuadoran grave sights one author states, “Indeed, it seems that Nicotiana Tabacum of commerce had its ancient origin in the eastern piedmont of Peru or Ecuador.” (Spinden, 1879-. (1950)) This tobacco is not to be confused with Nicotiana Rustica which is indigenous to North America and was the tobacco used by Indigenous tribes from Mexico, America, and Canada. From the ancient Maya peoples to the Iroquois of North America tobacco has played a vital role in their creation stories and religious customs.

Many volumes have been written, artifacts found, and many debates had concerning tobaccos origins, sacred uses, and abuses by Indigenous peoples. It has been widely accepted and established that Nicotiana Tabacum and Nicotiana Rustica are both indigenous to the North and South American continents. Being found nowhere else in the world until its introduction to the Europeans between 1492 - 1560 A. D... For many Americans and peoples around the world the story and history of tobacco starts with the formation of the British colonies; primarily one, that being known as Jamestown, Virginia.

“And in colonial Virginia history there is a key, which though it may not explain all, opens the door to much that is fundamental. This key is tobacco. The old saying that the story of Virginia is but the story of tobacco is by no means a gross exaggeration. It was this Indian plant, so despised by many of the best and ablest men of the time, which determined the character and the life of the colony and shaped its destinies for two and a half centuries.” (Wertenbaker, 1922) It wasn’t until the Virginia colony had exhausted every effort to produce useful and marketable raw materials that a colonist by the name of John Rolfe had a vision of what Virginia may be good for.

By the end of the sixteenth century smoking was virtually a universal practice. Rolfe himself being a user of tobacco. The tobacco of the Virginia Indians was Nicotiana Rustica. The plant itself being of small leaves and short in stature with yellow flowers. Rolfe was known to smoke this tobacco however, he claimed that the flavor was week, and it was biting on the tongue. He also claimed this tobacco to be inferior in every respect compared to the tobacco of the West Indies. The tobacco of the West Indies being the tobacco we know today as Nicotiana Tabacum. In 1614 Rolfe obtained from Ralph Hamor the tobacco that would forever change the Virginia colony. N. Tabacum [Orinoco].

“At the time that Rolfe was making his experiments England was spending yearly for the Spanish product thousands of pounds. It is not surprising, then, that the colonist turned eagerly to tobacco culture. The news that Rolfe’s little crop had been pronounced in England to be of excellent quality spread rapidly from settlement to settlement, bringing with it new hope and determination. Immediately tobacco absorbed the thoughts of all, became the one topic of conversation, and every available patch of land was seized upon for its cultivation. The fortified areas within the palisades were crowded with tobacco plants, while even the streets of Jamestown were utilized by the eager planters. In 1617 the George set sail for England laden with 20,000 lbs. of Virginia leaf, the first of the vast fleet of tobacco ships which for centuries were to pass through the capes of the Chesapeake bound for Europe.” (Wertenbaker, 1922)

Globalization​

Within three hundred years tobacco had made her impression on the world and for the vast majority of peoples she was welcomed and accepted. “It is estimated that world production for the period 1909 – 1913 averaged approximately 2 8/10 billion lbs., of which the United States furnished 35%.” (Garner, 1923) Some of the tobacco producing countries at the time being, British India, Russia, Hungary, the Dutch East Indies, Japan, Germany, Brazil, and Cuba. “The United States leads the world not only in total production of tobacco but also in the number and diversity of distinctive types produced.” (Garner, 1923)

One thing of consideration to be noted about tobacco being grown in various parts of the world is regional growing differences of soil and climate. Commercial value of two like crops grown in different global regions could have drastically different market values. This results in some regions tobaccos being highly sought after and highly valued. For example, the famous Perique tobacco of St. James parish in Louisiana and Latakia, a sun-dried fire cured tobacco from Syria which is predominately used in pipe smoking blends. While both tobaccos can be duplicated elsewhere in like fashion the demand remains for nothing less than the genuine articles giving those regions dominance of trade and market value for their particular tobacco.

Types of Tobacco​

“It was learned, moreover, that desirable characteristics of the tobacco leaf resulting from local soil and climatic influences could be further accentuated by modifying the methods of growing and curing. Thus, through a process of gradual evolution tobacco culture has become highly specialized, each producing district furnishing a distinctive type of leaf especially adapted for certain uses, based ultimately on the taste and preferences of the consumer.” (Garner, 1923)

Dark fire-cured and air-cured types are produced in the uplands of the Piedmont section of Virginia. However, the growing of these types and their method of curing was also done in eastern and southern Ohio, northern Tennessee, and Kentucky. Their main uses being that of the manufacture of chewing tobacco, snuff and as a condimental for pipe smoking blends.

Bright flue-cured tobacco is grown in Virginia, North, and South Carolina. The soils of these lands being infertile produce a lighter colored leaf than the dark air varieties. Along with its lighter color and a special process of flue curing the leaf once it yellows to retain that color, makes it a very desirable tobacco for cigarette and pipe blends.

Cigar leaf is produced in Cuba and Brazil but soon found its way into American culture. Around 1825 it was noted that the soil and climate of Hartford County Connecticut was also quite suitable for growing cigar leaf. This was the start of the Seed Leaf tobacco culture that spanned, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and the Connecticut valley.

White Burley. – “The extensive Burley industry owes its existence to the discovery of a new, distinctive variety of tobacco in Brown County, Ohio in 1864” (Garner, 1923) Its uses ranging from plug tobacco to cigarettes and smoking mixtures.

Within these main categories of tobaccos lay a broad range of other subcategories and their constituents. For a superior example of this, let us take the Virginia Bright Leaf. The average person would take it at face value and assume that is all to know. However, a true lover of the Virginia Bright Leaf will list its constituents in great detail and affection.

You have the genuine article which is air, fire, or flue cured. There is Virginia Red Leaf, Virginia Lemon Leaf, Virginia Cutters, or lugs being the first and weaker priming’s of the plant etc. Then there is a matter of stoved red Virginia, cavendish Virginia, pressed Virginia, all of which change its final character and taste. Finally, you have to account for all of the “Virginia Type Tobaccos” grown in other regions like Canadian Flue Cured Virginia Bright Leaf, grown in Canada and processed in all same ways as its southern counterparts. It soon becomes clear to one interested in this beloved plant that there is much indeed to learn as to variety, type, complexities, and nuances.

Yesterday & Today​

From the earliest uses of Nicotiana Rustica as a sacred and religious plant and gift from the gods to the much abused and considered unholy habit of today's use of Nicotiana Tabacum in all her forms; no other plant has so completely dominated the hearts and minds of men such as these two ladies have. I have left much unsaid as to her contributions to humankind. Let it be known dear reader that she has in fact a beautiful and most complex history. She has held a place in every field of human thought through the ages of yesterday and today. She is a much-cherished part of the discoveries, wars, philosophy, theologies, art, and literatures of the peoples of the world.

References

Garner, W. (. (1923). History and Status of Tobacco Culture. Washington D.C.: Dept. of Agriculture.

Spinden, H. (. (1879-. (1950)). Tobacco is American. New York: New York Public Library.

Wertenbaker, T. J. (1922). The Planters of Colonial Virginia. Princeton: Princeton University Press.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Two Books on the History of Burley, by Chris Bickers and Billy Yeargin

REFLECTIONS ON THE HISTORY OF BURLEY
A few years ago I had the pleasure of writing two books about burley tobacco in the South since John Rolfe first cultivated leaf in Jamestown in the 1600s. They were very similar format: The core of both books are interviews with "old time" burley growers who have grown the crop long enough to have special insights on burley production. In addition, I have provided notes on the historical events associated with burley.
  1. The Bluegrass & Beyond, concentrates on Kentucky and Ohio and their place in tobacco history.
  2. A History of Burley Tobacco in East Tennessee & Western North Carolina, centers on developments in those two states.
Both include a reflection on the history of tobacco auctions by my friend and co-author Billy Yeargin.
I have enjoyed sharing these books with my many friends in tobacco. Now, I find I have a few extra copies of both and can sell them to anyone who asks. The number is limited but I think I have enough for everybody. If we don't, I will print some more.
If you would like one, send $20, plus $10 shipping and handling to:
Christopher Bickers
903-9 Shellbrook Ct.
Raleigh NC 27609
Be sure to specify which book--Bluegrass & Beyond or A History of Burley Tobacco in ET/WNC. Questions? Call me at 984 810 9004 or email me at chrisbickers@gmail.com

Tobacco Farmer Newsletter fromThursday, December 22, 2022

Bob

EDIT: mailing address corrected
EDIT 2: SEE MY NEXT POST regarding ordering these books.

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20230116_6824_book_CTValleyTobacco_Dunlop_400.jpg

The was written by a historian of tobacco, rather than a person intimately familiar with tobacco growing and handling. So we have a lovely book on the history of tobacco growing in the Connecticut Valley. It includes scores of interesting, historical photos. It covers what was grown, who was growing it, market changes, varietal changes, and the ever-changing sources of tobacco farm labor.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Bright Leaves documentary. I have not viewed it yet.

edit: https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Leave...fix=bright+leaves+documentary,aps,1336&sr=8-4

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

loui loui

More history about snus!
The link is to the snus and match museum in sweden, it is in swedish but nowadays google translate is so good so it is not a problem, just open in google chrome and translate.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
This is a free-to-download copy of Constantinides' 1912 book, Turkish Tobacco: a manual for planters, dealers and manufacturers. It contains a lot of detail regarding different Oriental varieties (all still grown within the Ottoman Empire at that time), as well as some nonsense and a touch of travel log.

I posted the original link to this book on the forum in 2012 (100 years after its publication).

Bob