Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco strain selection guide for minimal processing

hooyoo

Does anyone have experience with growing Cuban varieties like Criollo or Corojo? I'd love to know if they need extensive curing/kilning/etc or can be minimally processed and still have good flavor

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

I have grown a number of varieties of Corojo as well as Criollo. As with most Caribbean cigar varieties, they need to be fermented in some manner, which usually means kilning for a home-grower.

Of those, I have NOT grown Criollo 98, which is said to be superior in a number of ways to other Cuban Criollo varieties. Corojo 99 is by far the best Corojo I've grown, in terms of productivity, curing and kilning. The Criollos that I have grown required an additional year or so of aging after kilning, to lose a "raw" quality.

For cigars, really every variety should be kilned, to get the best smoking experience from them. Building a kiln is a $100 to $150 project that takes about 1 weekend for anyone to build. Constructing a kiln requires no special skills.

Bob