Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What need is there for a completely organic liquid or dry fertilizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
My personal business (Da Vinci Plant Services) is working on creating an organic fertilizer, non-salt based and completely biodegradable.

Our main product we are working on is the dried version of it. I want to know, what is your personal need as the at home tobacco grower for an organic fertilizer?

We are gearing our product line for the small grower, the guy who doesn't want chemicals all over his tobacco. (Isn't that half the reason we're on FTT?)

Questions I'd love if you guys could answer:

1. Do you fertilize?
  2. If so, how often
  3. What is the price per gallon you'd pay for fertilizer?
  4. What is the price per pound of fertilizer you would pay?
  5. Does the idea of organic, biodegradable, nonflamable fertilizer interest you?
  6. Would you buy this product over common store bought fertilizer if it was geared towards tobacco growing?

Thanks folks!

DonH

I would be interested because I avoid the non organic stuff because of the radioactivity in the phosphates. I've been using blood and bone meal but can't remember what I paid. I'll check the prices next time I'm at the farm store.

bonehead

i use miracle grow on the seedlings mixed weak.i use composted chicken manure mixed with the soil in the grow bed then use compost and worm castings made into a tea when i have a chance to hand water or spray. it doesn't cost much but it is a lot of work. when i change out my hydroponic tanks about every three weeks or so i hand water that into the soil but you have to be careful to not get that on the plants or it could burn them. i can't find tobacco spacific fertilizer around here. i use foxfarm (expensive for me) for soil and general hydroponics for my hydro growings and when it needs to be changed i use it in vegtable and tobacco garden. i could use a sustained release or long lasting fertilizer for tobacco. i would like to put it on once and be done for the seasons fertilizing.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
The dry fertilizer we're working on would be a slow-er release fertilizer. Full decomposition duration would be about 3 weeks. One thing I've discovered through my own experiments and through the research of other companies is that common salts used in fertilizing are what aid in the slower release rates.

Like Don said, Phosphates (Salt version of Phosphorus/Phosphoric acid) can be radioactive, they can also inhibit preferred burning characteristics of tobacco.

Fertilizer in my opinion is a give-and-take material. Get one feature, give away another.

Though multiple fertilizer applications isn't ideal, sometimes that is what is needed to grow a superior product.

bonehead

ive never grown for bulk or boundage. i grow small lots with the best quality that can be achived. sometimes i think my homegrown might cost more than comercial minus state taxes,fedral taxes and sales taxes on the taxes. i love america but how can you charge tax on two taxes. WTF is this.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I know, taxes are insane brother. Besides poundage, fertilizer aids in all of the metabolism/growing/chemical producing a plant needs. With sufficient/appropriate levels of fertilizer a plant will, as I (probably overly) keep saying, grow a superior product.

jerry thacker

I have been growing a vegetable garden for 50 years and use13-13-13 in the ground when I make my rows ,again when half up . In my corn field I use 28-28-28- an when the corn is 2 foot tall I side dress with amonianitrate .I buy from the co-op. How ever I hope I do my tobacco right ,this will be may first grow. I also use tons of lime ,petmoss,turn in the beds before planting . This done to bring up the PH level up to 7.0

DonH

I have been growing a vegetable garden for 50 years and use13-13-13 in the ground when I make my rows ,again when half up . In my corn field I use 28-28-28- an when the corn is 2 foot tall I side dress with amonianitrate .I buy from the co-op. How ever I hope I do my tobacco right ,this will be may first grow. I also use tons of lime ,petmoss,turn in the beds before planting . This done to bring up the PH level up to 7.0
Also, I've read that tobacco likes lower pH, more in the range of 5.8 - 6.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.