Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Organic Help for Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^^

totally agree, with this post,,,'' humus''... is very important,,,,,and trace elements, are essential for the small changes that takes place, metabolically in every plant,

but i comercially deliver, tons of granular fertilizer, to farming field's so you want hear me bitchin about man-made fertilizer,,,,

i line my pocket by it being used,

but those farmers, have a soil analysis, before they place thier order,

SOIL ANALYSIS very important,

Fisherman

:)

Chicken in all his honest glory!

Me too....... I inspect barges of the urea that comes in our area. We cant live without chemical fertilizer and that is a fact.. A gradual shift back to the past will happen but I think we are pretty well past the old manure days myself.

But myself as a future and hopeful retiree plan on using a lot of natural and free stuff to help stretch the retirement dollar.

Due to the locale I am in I am hoping to capitalize on using fish for fertilizer as well as manure eventually when I get resettled on a peice of good dirt.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^^^^^

fish is nothing but pure nitrogen, and gives the plant all it neds. to '' eat''

i use fish emulsion, as a concentrate, sometimes, when i start things,

if you can get past the smell... its good for starting anything.

Boboro

A note of caution about usein fish. I put a little pearch in the ground with each plant.the next morin all the plants were dug up a the fish gone.I spent the rest of the summer trappin coons out of my garden. I lost count of how many. Fish is a good fert. if you ant got a horde of coons in the neighborhood. An the Mean as hell its self. I give one to a guy to train his bull dog. He had to take it to the vet after the coon whuped it.

Fisherman

Dayum!

I got kitty-litterless cats is about all here to contend with.......

With a good castnet here this summer I could supply us all with enuff fish to farm acres I would bet.

Once my plants take hold and the potting mix doesnt killem... I will check out their responce to a few fish meals I am sure.

Eliko

Personally I use the organic choices because it's cheaper not the other way around. I throw the scraps from fruits, veggies, egg shells, and other stuff that it would normally just throw out and then that breaks down me me doing nothing to it (vermicompost) ad then instead of buying chemical fertilizer, which my main worry is burning up plant which I have yet to happen with compost, I get this stuff for the cost of the file bin I use for vermicomposting which is cheaper than a small bag of fertilizer.

Just makes sense to me.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Boboro brings up a good point. A lot of the organic fertilizers like fish, blood meal, kelp etc will attract dogs, cats, coons etc to your garden. They will dig everything up they can trying to find the source of that smell.

BarG

Founding Member
It would attract fire ants like crazy here. The indians had good success but that was before fire ants were introduced into the equation for the southern regions.

Fisherman

yesterday I broke down my lactobasilis culture... took the cheese offa it and fed it to the chickens............... and today got my first egg off them!

Will try on the plants later as soon as I can find some affordable molasasas.

The cheese smelled like blue cheese and looked like hard cottage cheese.

Fisherman

Interesting article about using fresh chicken manure as tea on plants.

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.echoco...-4DDE-8AB1-74D9D8C3EDD4/Chicken_ManureTea.pdf

I had to save file and use adobe to open.

The method of preparation of chicken manure tea that was most efficient in terms of recovery of nitrogen was to
soak 20 or 35 pounds of fresh manure in burlap bags placed in 32 gallons of water for 3 weeks. The greenhouse
experiment showed that in a three month growing period, manure tea could perform nearly as well in the
production of tomato plants as a chemical fertilizer. This was true in all media: redwood chips, redwood
sawdust and sand. Laboratory analysis showed that raw poultry manure tea is not a complete fertilizer solution,
but that nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium and zinc are at adequate levels in the solution. Nathan suggested a
further experiment might look at the possibility of using dilute seawater to provide some of those
micronutrients.

Also note the use of wood chips in potting medium:

GREENHOUSE EXPERIMENT WITH TOMATOES
In order to evaluate the efficiency of the manure tea beyond just mineralogical analysis, it was used as a
fertilizer solution in an actual growing situation using tomato seedlings (Cal Ace variety). Each plant was
grown in a separate 5-inch deep wooden lug of the type used in the table grape industry. The fertilizer solution
was delivered to each plant by an inverted hard plastic milk jug. The mouth of each jug was fitted with a plastic
cap which had a flat piece of corrugated plastic attached by a ringshank nail. Three holes were drilled through
the piece of plastic and the cap so solution could flow into the tray. Each time the level of solution dropped
below the depth of the plastic spacer (about 5 mm) in the mouth of the jug, air would bubble into the jug and
more solution would gurgle into the tray. This assured a constant supply of both fertilizer and moisture.
A total of 24 plants were used. Half of the plants were fed a chemical hydroponic fertilizer solution (Bridwell
mixture) while the other half were fed the manure tea. Three different growing media were used: sand, sawdust
and woodchips. These served as models of the kind of media that might be available for rooftop gardens in the
Third World. Plants were arranged in a complete randomized block design and standard statistical tests were
run on the results.
The author (Duddles) believes it was unfortunate that the Bridwell mixture was used as the standard hydroponic
formula for the greenhouse trials, because it is quite low in micronutrients. Nevertheless, the concentrations of
nitrogen, potassium, phosphorous, calcium and magnesium were near ideal.
Conditions in the greenhouse and the season were sufficiently unfavorable (low light and cool temperatures) that
tomatoes had only reached the blossom stage when the experiment had to be terminated. Growth in woodchips
was superior in every case, including greater height, superior root mass, higher blossom/bud count, and fewer
nutrient deficiency symptoms. Plants in sawdust were very spindly with malformed stems and widespread
chlorosis of the leaves. Plants grown in sand differed visually from those grown in woodchips primarily in
height.
Roots were concentrated near the surface with sand or sawdust media, suggesting that the inferior performance
was due to insufficient air reaching the lower parts of these media. The coarser texture of the woodchips
prevented water saturation and allowed more air to reach the roots. It should be noted that a type of wood less
resistant to decay than redwood would likely have begun to decay and tie up micronutrients, resulting in
deficiencies.
It appeared that the chemical solution gave slightly better results in all measurements (dry weight, nitrogen
concentration, root proliferation and blossom/bud count). However, this was not significant at the 0.05
confidence level. The only significant difference in the concentrations of nutrients present in plant tissues was
that plants grown with manure had more sodium. The micronutrients must have come from the growing
medium (i. e. wood chips, sand or sawdust).

workhorse_01

I made a methane generator that i add rabbit & chicken manure and vegetable scraps to the banana peels create alot of methane but the discharge water is unbelievable fertilizer. It's like homemade miracle grow.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I made a methane generator that i add rabbit & chicken manure and vegetable scraps to the banana peels create alot of methane but the discharge water is unbelievable fertilizer. It's like homemade miracle grow.
Do you use the methane for cheap heat? If so what are you cookin' with it? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.