Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

WLT Corona Wrapper impressions

PressuredLeaf

The idea of a Corona leaf wrapper is absolutely bonkers to me, so naturally I had to buy some. I was expecting small, thick, and dark leaves. Surprisingly, the leaves are pretty decent in size, definitely suitable for most normal cigar sizes. The leaves are dark in color, and the coloration is fairly uneven (being darkest at the tips). The leaves are soft and leathery, and actually kind of sticky. What I find very interesting is the aroma. To me the leaves do not remind me of cigar tobacco, in fact they remind me of the smell of the WLT red Virginia with a little something else. I had to wrap something with one of these leaves.

I happened to have pretty beat up cuban Partagas series D from like 2014 that I couldn't convince myself to through away. So, I spritzed the cigar with some water and put it in a bag for an hour. Next, I removed the wrapper and put the bunch back into my robusto mold for another hour. I then prepared the Corona wrapper. I found the veins to be quite pronounced, which requires quite a bit of moisture to smooth out. Once the wrapper was smoothed out, I cut the leaf rather close to the edge to avoid the larger veins ( the cut out piece could probably be used as a binder if you are careful). I then wrapped the cigar. Although the wrapper is thick and flexible I found it susceptible to tearing if you aren't careful. Thankfully there were no issues. The finished cigar is drying, and I will smoke it tomorrow. All I can say is the wrapper is incredibly oily/shiny when stretched over a cigar.

If anyone has used the Corona leaf, I would be very interested in your impressions.

IMG_3844.jpgIMG_3845.jpgIMG_3846.jpg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Mine arrived a couple of days ago along with some Nicaraguan. I may have to run down after awhile for a quick roll it up and fire it up test and taste. It sure looks good. I’m curious if it’s as nice as the Ecuadorian Maduro I bought from Don about five years ago. I’m still hoarding a little of it. :D

ChinaVoodoo

Mine arrived a couple of days ago along with some Nicaraguan. I may have to run down after awhile for a quick roll it up and fire it up test and taste. It sure looks good. I’m curious if it’s as nice as the Ecuadorian Maduro I bought from Don about five years ago. I’m still hoarding a little of it. :D
I used my last leaf of the Maduro a couple days ago, but my Corona is doing the covid customs hurry up and wait.

PressuredLeaf

It’s interesting you mention the Ecuador maduro. Of all the tobaccos I have, that one smells closest to the Corona wrapper. Kind of a honey like sweetness crossed with the rich red VA smell. I’m definitely hoarding my Ecuador maduro wrapper as well.

greygoose

The idea of a Corona leaf wrapper is absolutely bonkers to me, so naturally I had to buy some. I was expecting small, thick, and dark leaves. Surprisingly, the leaves are pretty decent in size, definitely suitable for most normal cigar sizes. The leaves are dark in color, and the coloration is fairly uneven (being darkest at the tips). The leaves are soft and leathery, and actually kind of sticky. What I find very interesting is the aroma. To me the leaves do not remind me of cigar tobacco, in fact they remind me of the smell of the WLT red Virginia with a little something else. I had to wrap something with one of these leaves.

I happened to have pretty beat up cuban Partagas series D from like 2014 that I couldn't convince myself to through away. So, I spritzed the cigar with some water and put it in a bag for an hour. Next, I removed the wrapper and put the bunch back into my robusto mold for another hour. I then prepared the Corona wrapper. I found the veins to be quite pronounced, which requires quite a bit of moisture to smooth out. Once the wrapper was smoothed out, I cut the leaf rather close to the edge to avoid the larger veins ( the cut out piece could probably be used as a binder if you are careful). I then wrapped the cigar. Although the wrapper is thick and flexible I found it susceptible to tearing if you aren't careful. Thankfully there were no issues. The finished cigar is drying, and I will smoke it tomorrow. All I can say is the wrapper is incredibly oily/shiny when stretched over a cigar.

If anyone has used the Corona leaf, I would be very interested in your impressions.

View attachment 32761View attachment 32762View attachment 32763
How was the wrapper over the D4?

greygoose

It was quite good, surprisingly smooth. But holy cow it had some nicotine, I could only make it 2/3rds of the way through. I think the combination of a ton of natural oils and high Nic makes it a good candidate for aging.
Nice, guess also the 2014 naked Partagas also helped it along. Burn was ok though? looks like a thick leaf