Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Casing Recipes for Mildly Aromatic Pipe Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum. Do check out the Index of Key Forum Threads (link at top).

With regard to Latakia, there are a number of threads on the subject. The most active, currently is: https://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/making-latakia-at-home.5016/

Considering that smoke production for making Latakia must be nearly continuous for a minimum of 6 weeks, any ingredients that are costly (like frankincense, myrrh and mastic) seem unlikely to be used in commercial Latakia production.

Bob

TomF

Thanks, good sir. Yeah, I've lurked for a while here, and read a number of threads about latakia, whether the homebrew attempts or the Cyrian version or the late lamented Syrian. Seems to me that the most likely result in homebrewing appears to be a good version of smoke-cured tobacco, but not quite latakia.

No, what I wondered more is whether folks have ever played with using actual frankincense or etc. in the casings they apply to their blends, in part to get a hint of the aroma. I just acquired some very fine incense made by Benedictine monks in the UK as one of the products they sell to sustain their monastery. What I purchased is a blend of granules of 3-4 different gum resins - frankincense, myrrh, and a couple of others (their recipe is secret), and while it seems expensive .. a little goes a very long ways. Seems to me that if desired, a half teaspoon or so of such could be easily ground up and dissolved in alcohol much like some are steeping coffee beans in rum, and applied as a casing. I just dunno whether the result would be appetizing ... and if others had gone there before me and could comment.

I'm a very novice pipe smoker - used a pipe on stage in a theatrical production about 30 years ago and adored everything about it ... and could see that with no trouble at all I could acquire an expensive habit! I'm now nearly old enough that if I get the habit hard, something else will probably kill me before a tobacco related malady (if we rule out murder by my wife :D).

Status
Not open for further replies.