Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Casing for Navy flake?

DaleB

Supposing a fellow wanted to press a batch of VA leaves - mostly flue cured bright VA, with some red leaf in there and maybe even a little bit of Samsun just for kicks - to make some Navy flake. What would be good to use for casing? I’m not looking to make it into an aromatic, but I’m open to suggestions. I’m a big fan of Newminster Superior Navy Flake, though I love English and Balkan blends as well. Love a little anise note; I wish Sen-Sen were still sold… if that makes any sense.

What I have on hand is some flue cured VA, a little air cured VA, and some Samsun. It’s been in the kiln for a month or so fermenting, and to be honest I’ve grown tired of fighting the leaky kiln so it’ll have to age the rest of the way on its own. I’ve got a few pounds right now at low to very low case.

Again, just looking for a good solution (so to speak) to make it smokable and smooth out any rough edges. I was thinking of starting with some dark rum and maybe a bit of sugar, but I’ve read somewhere that something citrusy helps. I don’t know, this is my first go at it so I’m hoping to get some input from those who have been there.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You might have a look at @ChinaVoodoo's Carotte Method:

Bob

GreenDragon

I was thinking of starting with some dark rum and maybe a bit of sugar, but I’ve read somewhere that something citrusy helps. I don’t know, this is my first go at it so I’m hoping to get some input from those who have been there.

I typically use rum as my casing when pressing tobacco. Just note that many rums on the market today already contain sugar as recent changes in import law no longer require them to list it as an ingredient. It's used to smooth out less aged rums and adjust color / flavor. Anyway, the point to my rambling is that you may not need to add additional sugar depending on the brand you buy. Have fun!

DaleB

I've got some rum here that we almost never use -- it's white rum, but I'm not really trying to add flavor as much as just something to help the melding of flavors from the leaf.

I do feel it appropriate that I use a bit of my own home made maple syrup, boiled down from the sap of the silver maple trees in my own back yard, for some of this. I think I'll probably make several batches with different approaches and see what works best.

Krausen89

i have been loving anisette. i add in some honey that was infused with vanilla. but any sugar will work. just dont go overboard its more about taking the edge off the smoke rather than sweetening it up or flavoring it. you can always add more. i get slight hints of flavor. some casing i have used water and a drop of vinegar. If im correct it helps with PH and helps prevent mold.

Im guessing the Superior Flake is blend of Virginias. some mixed info from online but its a "blend of Virginias from the USA, Brazil, and Africa" i would try Lemon VA with Bright and maybe a little Mature red. you can also use some air-cured VA to bring down the strength of flu cured. ....this may be next in my press.

also many flakes are made by steam presses. i am experimenting with an initial press, then wrap plug in damp towel and stoving it on warm setting and then pressing again.

Krausen89

Correction, I am wrong. VA tobacco is higher in PH and needs to be more alkaline. adding vinegar is the opposite. The obvious would be burley, perique and maryland to neautralize the virginias. but keeping it all virginia i wonder if sugar casing would help. i believe sugar is highly acidic. anise is alkaline when fresh. not sure about anisette. im sure its been discussed on here somewhere.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
VA tobacco is higher in PH and needs to be more alkaline.
VA flue-cured tobacco produces smoke that is lower in pH. That is, VA flue-cured tobacco creates greater acidity. [Low pH = higher acidity; high pH = lower acidity, which is higher alkalinity.] It's all just chemistry jargon.

wss-property-ph-scale-diagram.jpg

It's also important to note that it's the pH of the smoke that we're talking about, rather than the tobacco itself.

Bob

EDIT: Combustion of sugars creates organic acids, lowering the pH. Flue-cured Virginia tobacco contains a higher sugar content than air-cured Virginia.

Last edited:

Krausen89

VA flue-cured tobacco produces smoke that is lower in pH. That is, VA flue-cured tobacco creates greater acidity. [Low pH = higher acidity; high pH = lower acidity, which is higher alkalinity.] It's all just chemistry jargon.

wss-property-ph-scale-diagram.jpg

It's also important to note that it's the pH of the smoke that we're talking about, rather than the tobacco itself.

Bob

EDIT: Combustion of sugars creates organic acids, lowering the pH. Flue-cured Virginia tobacco contains a higher sugar content than air-cured Virginia.
Makes sense, thanks Bob. i deal with PH alot with making beer I should know that by now lol. I just know from trial and error what helped with the bite.