Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pics of your sticks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyL

Well here are my first hand rolls! They are not the best cigars I've ever seen but honestly they came out far better than I expected.
As advised I went small for my first tries. They are 5.5" Petit Coronas with pigtail caps as demonstrated in this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djemTOpQwY4
and this method definitely produces a nice square cigar that is even all the way down.

Pigtails seemed like an easy way to cap off my first cigars rather than fussing with a triple cap. In the end, you are just going to smoke it, right?

View attachment 27620
View attachment 27621
They are from the WLT Melodioso Cremosa blend.

The smaller one only has seco as filler, as I drew a large leaf of seco and just decided to use the whole thing as filler. Wasn't sure if I could fit the ligero in as well.
The second fatter one I had a smaller seco leaf so I tossed the ligero in there too and it honestly looks like a better cigar. Guess the practice is paying off already :)

Only thing about these is they feel a little damp to smoke, probably because the wrapper is still damp. So I threw them in a glasslock by themselves to equalize humidity between the moist wrapper/binder and dry filler, and after I put my daughter to bed tonight I think I will check to see if I can fire one up!
Looks good but did you put the wrapper on backwards?

Rectifier

Looks good but did you put the wrapper on backwards?
I, uh, didn't know there was a front side and a back side to the wrapper leaf. So I just wrapped it up. I thought they look a little funny... Will look closer at the next ones.

My attempt at smoking the first one failed due to excess moisture, that technique in the video shows throwing the binder cutoffs into the filler - and mine were super damp. So it seemed to light well, but quickly started to canoe and take on a sour flavour as the damp binder leaves on one side of the filler would not burn. I had smoked less than an inch of it, so I did a bad thing and chopped the lit end off with scissors and decided to try to relight it after it dried out a bit. Flavour will probably suffer but it's an experiment anyways, to prove if it was those damp leaves that caused the issue and sourness.

I've left them to dry/equalize humidity in a glasslock with one corner cracked open for 2 days, they were better yesterday and hopefully I can smoke one today.

Initial flavour of the all seco cigar was interesting in the absolute blandness of it. It was the definition of a one note cigar. All it tasted like was "mild tobacco", almost like a tobacco vape flavour. It wasn't actively bad in any way, but it definitely wasn't exciting. Actually an interesting learning experience.

GreenDragon

@Rectifier

I leave my freshly rolled sticks out on my rolling bench for a few days to dry before moving them into a humidor. Otherwise they take forever to dry correctly. Some guys here have a dedicated "dry box" where fresh sticks go for a week or so before being moved to a regular humidor.

RandyL

I, uh, didn't know there was a front side and a back side to the wrapper leaf. So I just wrapped it up. I thought they look a little funny... Will look closer at the next ones.

My attempt at smoking the first one failed due to excess moisture, that technique in the video shows throwing the binder cutoffs into the filler - and mine were super damp. So it seemed to light well, but quickly started to canoe and take on a sour flavour as the damp binder leaves on one side of the filler would not burn. I had smoked less than an inch of it, so I did a bad thing and chopped the lit end off with scissors and decided to try to relight it after it dried out a bit. Flavour will probably suffer but it's an experiment anyways, to prove if it was those damp leaves that caused the issue and sourness.

I've left them to dry/equalize humidity in a glasslock with one corner cracked open for 2 days, they were better yesterday and hopefully I can smoke one today.

Initial flavour of the all seco cigar was interesting in the absolute blandness of it. It was the definition of a one note cigar. All it tasted like was "mild tobacco", almost like a tobacco vape flavour. It wasn't actively bad in any way, but it definitely wasn't exciting. Actually an interesting learning experience.
The vein side should be down on the wrapper.
All Seco does snitching for me. Hardly any flavor and absolutely no finish. Gotta throw some viso and Ligero in there

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The veins appear on both the upper and lower surfaces of a leaf. If you apply a bit of stretch, those secondary veins in the upper surface tend to mostly flatten, while those in the lower (under side of a growing leaf) remain prominent. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell. Most of the time, the upper surface (for the outside of your cigar) will be at least slightly darker in color than the lower surface. When laying the wrapper on the rolling board, place it with the nice upper side against the wood, and the uglier under side facing up. As you wrap, the smoother side ends up on the outside.

All this need-to-dry methodology is the result of utilizing leaf that is in too high a case. You can roll them so that they burn well and can be smoked immediately.
  • filler in low case (noisy to handle, almost dry, may crack some, but not crumble) -- it's not "entubado" friendly
  • binder in medium case (sounds like handling vinyl, not damp, but has some stretch)
  • wrapper in high case (silent, limp, pliable and stretchy, but not wet to the eye)
Of all the filler types, seco burns the best. Most commercial cigars stated to be "mild" are mostly seco, plus some viso or ligero for flavor and nicotine. For me (and I may smoke as many as 5 cigars a day), an all viso filler is way too strong, but usually will burn. An all ligero filler tends to burn poorly, and will make me ill if I smoke the entire cigar.

Bob

TigerTom

What would be a good case for entubado? Would medium work?

I'm also curious as to what the most common bunching method is. I've heard of entubado (obviously) and also the book method, though I can't figure out how that one would work.

Are there any other methods?

TigerTom

Awesome! Thanks for that.

Funny enough, I replied but in that other thread - not this one. Doh!:oops:

Anyway, your video helped clear up some ideas I had about how cigars should be, forgetting that they are simply pieces of tobacco leaf rolled in another piece of leaf and smoked. Working in a cigar shop, all I ever really see are perfectly rolled smokes with perfect wrappers. Reading reviews (aside from the flavor descriptions you once referred to as "speculative fiction" - so true!) there is quite a bit of emphasis on the visual appeal. In retrospect I find this humorous because I haven't met a single cigar enthusiast who smokes cigars because of how it looks.

So this puts my mind at ease, since when I start rolling my own I can cast aside the notions of perfect parejos and just roll and smoke.

As an unordained cigar roller, I subscribe to the much ridiculed "scrunch, rip and roll" method. https://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/hand-rolling-a-fat-cigar-no-mold-no-glue.7944/

Every simple task can be made as complex and arcane as you like.

Bob

MarcL

You did mention in your video utilizing the tips of the leaves to the foot. I believe @RandyL was referring to your wrapper being applied in the opposite direction however, it is down side up exposing the top of the leaf to the outside which is typical.
I remember someone using wood for mesure like that before. Then I noticed your video production date.

MarcL

Some re-wraps with some Nicaragua Jalapa Rosado I just got finally. I remember the samples and, this is really nice stuff.
Big thanks to WLT / Don and his (@FmGrowit) for having the best freebees and leaf in the business!

https://i.imgur.com/CUA9Hw8.jpg

Rectifier

I remember someone using wood for mesure like that before. Then I noticed your video production date.

Yep, definitely not my video, just the technique that I used for a reference! I hope nobody thought I was laying claim to it!

I smoked the cigar that I cut short and left a few days to dry. It burned much better, the sourness was gone and the flavour was quite a bit richer, even if still very simple. Nicotine levels were very low but that was fine, it was more of an excuse to enjoy a beautiful evening on the deck than to catch a buzz. Only real issue was the burn tunneling down the center somewhat, I suspect the binder and wrapper were still a bit damper than the filler. Going to have to build a proper humidor so I can store these for awhile and get them into perfect smoking condition. As a hobbyist and not a daily smoker I can definitely afford to wait a little to get the perfect burn, though it's good to know that it is possible to get moisture levels right to smoke them the same day.

From your description, @deluxestogie, my binder and wrapper were WAY too wet to smoke them without waiting quite a few days. Both were visibly damp to the eye.

waikikigun

Rolled a few from what I had on hand, Habano 2000 wrapper with a nice shine and the smell is amazing. Filler is Nic Habano Ligero and Viso , Dom. Seco and a splash of Mata Fina.
These were rolled last night and left on the drying rack overnight.
View attachment 27635
Nice rolling job, and sounds like a potentially good combo of leafs.

GreenDragon

Enjoying a home roll while starting a brisket to slow smoke overnight for dinner tomorrow. Filler is from my 2018 crop (Lancaster, little Dutch, and Havana 263). Flavor profile is dark chocolate, some raisins, and a hint of jasmine. Quite happy with this.

Attachments

• 28028D36-67F3-43CF-99A0-518F48F90720.jpeg
    28028D36-67F3-43CF-99A0-518F48F90720.jpeg
    808.9 KB · Views: 18

snowboardin58

Some re-wraps with some Nicaragua Jalapa Rosado I just got finally. I remember the samples and, this is really nice stuff.
Big thanks to WLT / Don and his (@FmGrowit) for having the best freebees and leaf in the business!

https://i.imgur.com/CUA9Hw8.jpg
The color on that is fantastic! Seems quite different from the samples I received last year. I wish I wouldn't have missed out! I was just getting ready to make an order but I guess if I snooze I lose.

Don, any Rosado coming in this year?

MarcL

Status
Not open for further replies.