Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pics of your sticks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Where do you get your mold from? My cigars look horrible and i think i need a mold to produce anything straight!!
A mold will allow a horribly rolled cigar to look nice, though it may create more problems with draw. For beginning rollers, I always suggest rolling lots of cigars (maybe 100 or more) free-hand, while you learn that skill. If after that, you want to acquire the additional skill of rolling a cigar that will still draw properly following compression in a mold, then that's always an option.

The origin of the cigar mold was to enable a factory to fill a box of 50 cigars with identical sticks. Most of us don't really have that need. It wasn't for beauty. Most skilled rollers in factories can roll very lovely free-hand cigars...but they won't be identical.

The secret to ugly cigars is:
  1. Post them in this thread. Somebody may offer useful suggestions. (The early cigars most of us rolled were monstrosities.)
  2. Never, never expect to show them off to friends or (gulp!) a brother-in-law or father-in-law, until you've actually learned the skill.
  3. A mold encourages beginners to roll too many cigars at once, thus wasting valuable learning opportunities.
Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20190522_4373_cigar_CarmenCubita_700.jpg

The wind picked up, then it sounded like a freight train. Stuff started flying around in the air. When everything went silent, I looked up and there was a hole through the center of my breakfast cigar.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Cigar du Jour

Garden20190523_4377_cigar_dark_600.jpg

I've been fiddling with about a dozen wrapper and binder varieties over the past week. A few days ago, I placed this wrapper into a prep bag. I can no longer recall what it is, other than that it's from Don, and is a deep maduro. I pulled it out to use as a binder, and it was so tough and stretchy, that I used the leaf, untrimmed, as a binder, and never applied another leaf on top. Cigar glue-users may find these images disturbing.

The filler is:
  • WLT Ecuador Habano seco
  • WLT Corojo 99 ligero
  • deluxe 2017 Piloto Cubano viso
  • deluxe 2017 Corojo 99 corona (tips)
In the mouth, I sense a slight smoky taste, so the wrapper/binder may be Mexican San Andres or Brazil Cubra.

Garden20190523_4375_cigar_dark_closeup_600.jpg

If you ignore its cosmetic flaws, and pretend it's an exclusive, limited edition, over-the-top expensive cigar, it would answer the question of how people could spend so much on a cigar. The wrapper is delicious, and the aroma is a full, earthy, deep maduro Central American cigar taste, yet the nicotine is only medium-to-full. It burns well, and leaves a medium-gray ash.

To exactly duplicate this cigar, just absentmindedly grab whatever is at hand, roll it, and light it. Hope for the best.

Bob

MarcL

Wow! Those look great!

What components did you use?
from the center and, right to left in the pic above.
filler
binder
wrapper

GreenDragon

Vacation Cigars

The wife and I went to lake Buchanan for a few days to get away from work/city/kids/dogs/cats/neighbors.... Been going to the same resort for 13 years now, and usually get the same cabin overlooking the lake. It has a lovely balcony with rocking chairs that we spend quite a bit of time on observing the wildlife and, in general enjoying nature when we are not out hiking the trails or star gazing at the dark sky observatory. From this vantage we watch hawks and eagles hunting over the lake, endangered bird species flitting about, foxes, bobcats, deer, rabbits, owls, roadrunners, etc etc. Anyway, the past few weeks the only thing that's kept me from defenestrating my co-workers has been the vision of myself sitting on the balcony, sipping a lovely beverage while observing nature and trying out my latest home rolled blends. Without further ado, pics of the view and me enjoying my cigars! :)

VIEW
Feet.jpg

"But Steve" you say, "Where are the cigars?" Where indeed! Yes, they are missing! Somehow, SOMEHOW my travel bag of Malodorous and Nefarious Intent (containing my cigars, pipe, tobacco, lighters etc.) got left behind! I have suspicions...

Exhibit A
Vacay.jpg

On the upside, I had plenty of time to play with my new camera (Sony a7iii) so there will be new pics in my nature thread soon.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I like the pic of the place where a cigar should be. And I agree with the selected spot, assuming your spouse's Adirondack chair is upwind. I'll be doing my 10 day road trip sans tobacco--by choice. But I won't post any pics of not tobacco. Home-grown, home-rolled cigars are too wonderful to waste them in exile, pacing a parking lot, or standing outside a doorway. And National Parks are havens for tobacco complainers. So it will be an Internet-free, tobacco-free reset.

Bob

waikikigun

Vacation Cigars

The wife and I went to lake Buchanan for a few days to get away from work/city/kids/dogs/cats/neighbors.... Been going to the same resort for 13 years now, and usually get the same cabin overlooking the lake. It has a lovely balcony with rocking chairs that we spend quite a bit of time on observing the wildlife and, in general enjoying nature when we are not out hiking the trails or star gazing at the dark sky observatory. From this vantage we watch hawks and eagles hunting over the lake, endangered bird species flitting about, foxes, bobcats, deer, rabbits, owls, roadrunners, etc etc. Anyway, the past few weeks the only thing that's kept me from defenestrating my co-workers has been the vision of myself sitting on the balcony, sipping a lovely beverage while observing nature and trying out my latest home rolled blends. Without further ado, pics of the view and me enjoying my cigars! :)

VIEW
View attachment 27510

"But Steve" you say, "Where are the cigars?" Where indeed! Yes, they are missing! Somehow, SOMEHOW my travel bag of Malodorous and Nefarious Intent (containing my cigars, pipe, tobacco, lighters etc.) got left behind! I have suspicions...

Exhibit A
View attachment 27511

On the upside, I had plenty of time to play with my new camera (Sony a7iii) so there will be new pics in my nature thread soon.
There's something brilliant and charming about this post. And your usual cabin at Lake B looks like a beautiful place to hang out and relax. I own a place like that but I don't get upriver much since the Boston Whaler got swamped in some winter floods.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob's Brazilian Butterfinger

Garden20190526_4392_cigar_BrazilianButterfinger_700.jpg

This cigar is mild and slightly sweet. The filler is home-grown: Vuelta Abajo plus 1/4 leaf of Corojo 99 ligero. Its wrapper is a smooth and gentle Ecuador CT Shade. Where Brazil comes in is the binder, a single half-leaf of Brazil Cubra viso, which lends the blend that distinctive, slightly musty, slightly smokey aroma characteristic of Brazilian-cured cigar leaf.

It's perfect for a hot, sunny day of sitting back, and watching the paint peel.

Watch for Bob's Brazilian Butt Kicker--coming soon.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks.

My Piloto Cubano ligero is structurally incompetent to serve as either a wrapper or binder--like trying to stretch a slice of American cheese. But its mouth taste is deep and sweet, and it has a natural, oil sheen, even without stretching it. If I bring it into high case over a period of at least a few days (so the secondary veins are pliable), and trim it precisely to fit a desired cigar size and shape, then I can apply it over a sturdy and smooth-surfaced binder in the manner of wallpaper. It then requires a week or so of drying, prior to smoking. A slightly less tedious technique is to use it as a short cap at the head.

But it usually ends up as filler, since the burn is fairly good.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.