Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

5 gallon paint strainers for seed, Degrades over 2 yrs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

I use masking tape with to label everything.
I ripped two bags out of six taking the tape off when done processing the seed.
It Rips real easy. Anyone else notice that. I don't need anything chomping thru it next year.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I was going to wash and reuse my bags from last year but found I could poke my finger through most of them so I bought all new bags for this year. It was a rainy year last year but I'm not sure if it was the wet or the UV rays that degraded them. One year for me.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Most plastics that are not specifically treated for UV exposure will crumble to fragments in about 2 years. Even very thick polyethylene will do this.

Bob

DGBAMA

Is the rest of the bag sound? Maybe the tape adhesive degraded the material. Masking tape is horrible to remove from anything after a month or so, especially if it has been in the sun.

I used the paint strainers this year too. Hoping for at least 2 seasons for the cost. All feel good now, have not washed them yet.

Brown Thumb

The tape comes off rather easy, not real stickey tape the blue painters tape. They were labeled as I cut them off and put in the garage out of sunlight.
The nylon or whatever they use got nuked by the sunlight I would guess as Bob said.

Status
Not open for further replies.