Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pics of Your Sticks, III

Status
Not open for further replies.

waikikigun

Couple things I smoked yesterday, one after lunch, the other after dinner.

tumblr_nt370ru2cd1uro5dko1_1280.jpg tumblr_nt370ru2cd1uro5dko2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nt36vqlCQi1uro5dko1_540.jpg tumblr_nt36vqlCQi1uro5dko3_1280.jpg

waikikigun

Thanks. Yeah one thing about that Corojo wrapper is, you never take a well-burning cigar for granted again. ;)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
BaluchMotif.JPG

I follow the Baluch rug knotting tradition. Every cigar I roll must contain at least one imperfection.

Bob

waikikigun

"II" was about to hit 1000 posts and was feeling a tad unwieldy so I took a flier and started III. :rolleyes:

Waikiki, Really really glad you started the new forum! I've been too busy to get around to it myself, and was going to ask you to start a new one. You must have read my mind in the dream world :)

Bob, I'll second that! How else can you tell them apart?

waikikigun

These three blends are wrapped in Corojo oscuro leaves from which I plucked the veins as I wrapped.

tumblr_nt521txjQG1uro5dko2_1280.jpg

waikikigun

Same three blends as yesterday, two each, two robustos and four coronas, but this time with a Pennsylvania broadleaf wrapper instead of Honduran Corojo. Plucked the thicker veins as I rolled. Yeah, my hair is pretty much out of control.

tumblr_nt70gh4CHJ1uro5dko1_540.jpg

waikikigun

Thanks. I don't really experience it as tedium, since I'm into it as a meditative hobby.

It does add time and effort, tho. But it's like that golf joke: who got more for his greens fee? The guy who got to hit the ball 104 times, or the guy who only got to hit it 76 times?

You know how you have to work to tuck in the first leading edge at the beginning of the wrap and make sure it's tight as you roll from there? I have to do that again each time I pluck a vein, which is about three times per stick. It requires that I change my grip and finger position at each pluck and figure how to keep it tight even though I've just torn it in half. I enjoy it though, and enjoy how much nicer it looks and feels without tons of gnarly ridges in it.

these look great and very uniform! Did plucking out the veins make the process a lot more tedious?

Jtravis

Thanks. I don't really experience it as tedium, since I'm into it as a meditative hobby.

It does add time and effort, tho. But it's like that golf joke: who got more for his greens fee? The guy who got to hit the ball 104 times, or the guy who only got to hit it 76 times?

You know how you have to work to tuck in the first leading edge at the beginning of the wrap and make sure it's tight as you roll from there? I have to do that again each time I pluck a vein, which is about three times per stick. It requires that I change my grip and finger position at each pluck and figure how to keep it tight even though I've just torn it in half. I enjoy it though, and enjoy how much nicer it looks and feels without tons of gnarly ridges in it.

Nice. Yeah it's meditative for me as well but maybe actually smoking one while I work would relieve any stress too.
I guess I'd have to try it to really get the picture but are you basically wrapping 3 separate pieces down the stick?

waikikigun

If you were to unroll it you'd have one piece of leaf, but it would have two or three tears in it from the leading edge across the leaf perpendicularly. The tears don't go all the way across. Typically the leaf might be 3 inches wide and the the tears are 1-2" into it.

I will try to do a POV vid of it next time I roll, which might be tomorrow. Basically as you roll you can see that you are about to roll a vein completely under the oncoming leaf: you can see that the tear area will be hidden under the oncoming overlap, so you stop and anchor one end of the vein with your right thumb and index and then grab the vein near the anchor area with your left thumb and index fingernails, and tear away, toward the head. Hard to visualize, isn't it. The hard part of doing it is the next part, rolling the tear under the overlap while keeping everything tight.

Nice. Yeah it's meditative for me as well but maybe actually smoking one while I work would relieve any stress too.
I guess I'd have to try it to really get the picture but are you basically wrapping 3 separate pieces down the stick?

CORoller55

If you were to unroll it you'd have one piece of leaf, but it would have two or three tears in it from the leading edge across the leaf perpendicularly. The tears don't go all the way across. Typically the leaf might be 3 inches wide and the the tears are 1-2" into it.

I will try to do a POV vid of it next time I roll, which might be tomorrow. Basically as you roll you can see that you are about to roll a vein completely under the oncoming leaf: you can see that the tear area will be hidden under the oncoming overlap, so you stop and anchor one end of the vein with your right thumb and index and then grab the vein near the anchor area with your left thumb and index fingernails, and tear away, toward the head. Hard to visualize, isn't it. The hard part of doing it is the next part, rolling the tear under the overlap while keeping everything tight.

Hi Waikikigun,

I have heard about others plucking the veins from the wrappers but never understood how it was done. I always ended up with a ripped wrapper! I, and Im sure many others on here, would be very interested to see your technique!

Nice stogies, too!

moscca

I also started recently ripping the last vein out. Still need a bit more practice but I''ll get there.
I saw some cuban rollers doing this. I see if I can find the video.

BrewinHooligan

Waikikigun, you have some serious talent. That was an excellent video, thank you for taking the time to make it and share it. I'm getting guys from other cigar forums I'm on started with the hobsession of home-rolling and will be sharing this with them shortly.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Waikikigun, you have some serious talent. That was an excellent video, thank you for taking the time to make it and share it. I'm getting guys from other cigar forums I'm on started with the hobsession of home-rolling and will be sharing this with them shortly.

Send them over here. This last batch of Newbs turned out to be Experts (or really fast learners). :)

BrewinHooligan

Send them over here. This last batch of Newbs turned out to be Experts (or really fast learners). :)
That I am trying to do as well. They are all watching the videos and are catching on real quick. I'm still frustrated with how ugly some of the sticks I'm rolling are, but perfectos are not the easiest to wrap and probably not the best to learn with.

Status
Not open for further replies.