Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

"dry" snuff (nasal cavity)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanko

Hello.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but the "snuss/snuff" thing is somewath confusing here.

All recipes I found here labeled "snuff" are diping/chewing recipes. (by the mouth)

But maybe I missed something? Do you have discussed about "dry" snuff recipes? I'm curious about it.

I tried to "snuff" when yough, a friend of me has stolen a little round box of "snuff" from her parents, y'know ^^

I found that about "snuff" ingredients:
http://www.altria.com/our-companies.../Documents/Standard-Dry-Snuff-Ingredients.pdf

But it seem to be moist snuff too, intended to mouth, not nose.

Any tips?

(by the way, all 5 sort of tobacco I seeded last week have germinated. "Little cuba" even germinated in 24h! Cool little plants.)

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
It appears to me to be a miscommunication (intentional or not, we may never know) within the English language or my understanding.

Snus in my understanding is typically oral finely ground tobacco, often mixed with a Carbonate of sorts to adjust PH.

Snuff in my understanding is typically known (outside the US) to be a nasal tobacco sort, most commonly scented with Bergamot, but comes in many many many scents. (sometimes referred to as flavors).

I've seen some american companies sell snus as snuff for oral use (copenhagen comes to mind) but it tends to confuse people greatly.

Are you looking for recipes concerning oral or nasal snuff? I'd be willing to share some on nasal snuff, as I haven't quite mastered the oral snus (or "oral snuff") yet.

Tanko

Thanks for the clarification ^^

Yes, I'm searching for recipes for "nasal snuff". It would be pleasant if you share some, and especially interressing if you can point the main differences with "oral snuff" recipes?

squeezyjohn

The confusion is historical one connected with the spread around the globe of different tobacco types which took them through several languages as well!
WARNING: LONG ETYMOLOGICAL ESSAY FOLLOWS

Snuff is an old English term for anything powdered you took medicinally through the nostrils, related to the word sniff. It was one of the many techniques used to get old herbal remedies in to the body and we still use related words like snuffling or snuffly to describe the sound of a person with a cold (or an animal that sounds similar).

Around the year 1500 the first travellers to the new world of the americas discovered tobacco being used by the native elders in a snuff format via types of tubes and brought the plant back with them to Spain and Portugal where it was touted as a new medicine to be used as a powdered form taken in to the nostrils.

In the 1560s a Frenchman called Jean Nicot was ambassador in Lisbon and sent some tobacco back to Paris where Queen Catherine had been suffering chronic headaches and advised her to use it to releive the pain. It worked very well and became fashionable amongst upper class and courtly circles throughout France and wider Europe. Jean Nicot's name lives in history as the Latin name of the plant family Nicotiana ... and by association the chemical Nicotine is also named after him.

Snuff gained it's English name when it arrived in the English courts of the early 1600s ... as this was already the name for a medicine taken nasally. Over time the word snuff became almost exclusively associated with this form of tobacco. Meanwhile at the same time this nasal tobacco spread to Sweden via the courts as well. The word Snus is of a similar Germanic origin to the English word snuff and is first documented in Swedish in 1637, at that time still referring to nasal snuff. By the 1700s nasal "snus" was very popular in Sweden and tobacco farming had become a common thing throughout the country (unlike in England which relied on it's American colonies to provide tobacco).

By the early 1800s tobacco use had filtered down to all levels of Swedish Society, however the farmers and workers had taken to using their ground up tobacco by wetting it a little and placing it in their upper lips instead of using their noses - presumably an easier way to use the product while actively working. Anyhow - this became the default way of using snus and nasal snuff was rapidly going out of fashion amongst the upper classes. Certain brands and recipes were set up in this period including Ljunglof's Ettan (Ettan means number one in Swedish) which is still available today made by Swedish Match. Many other brands followed including Generalsnus (regular snus) and Röda Lacket (Red Seal)

In the late 1800s more than a million Swedes crossed the Atlantic to set up new lives in the USA and brought their snus habit with them ... brands were set up to serve the demand and some used old Swedish names like Copenhagen and Red Seal. Throughout the 1900s the styles of recipe used in this oral tobacco diverged in it's Swedish homeland and in the USA so the products now are very distinct from eachother. The word snus was still in common use as an alternative to dip as late as the 1950s in some parts of the USA. Nowadays "dip" or "snuff" is the normal word used in the states to describe american moist oral tobacco - but the term dip has yet another nasal-snuff related origin from much earlier in history. During the British colonial period, the French-inspired upper-class snuff habit had also made the journey across the Atlantic. Whereas cigars became the favourite form of tobacco use amongst gentlemen, ladies took to dipping a moistened stick in nasal snuff and rubbing it in to their gums which was considered more dicreet and ladylike than either snorting it or smoking cigars! Dipping became the term for this and at some point in the 1900s the term became confused with the recently imported Swedish form of using snus in the upper lip. The american preference for dipping in the lower lip also happened at some point in time near this.

So there you have it - snuff, snus, dip ... it's all really the same thing separated by cultural evolution over time and several language changes.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
From the few recipes I've done for Oral Snus, I added Bicarbonate in the form of Sodium Carbonate and table salt. The style I made just never turned out quite right, even after aging for a few months in a cold setting. It turned out rather disgusting to be honest. Even with aged tobacco it turned out quite green tasting.

Preface: Do so at your own risk, FTT, myself are not liable for your actions!

As for nasal snuff, I use food grade essential oils, commonly used in cooking, or I extract my own using a food grade solvent (distilled water or alcohol-ethanol). I've found a good ratio is 10mL liquor (unflavored, cheap is good, but no off scent). This acts as a carrier. 5mL distilled water (this acts as a dilute). Experiment with flavorings, a common one like I said (if you want to go for the classic SP. SP Stands, I believe for Sheffield's Pride or Spanish Pride, the true origin is lost to history) Bergemot I ad between .1 and .5mL Bergamot. (These small amounts act as your main flavoring). Be cautious as to which oils you use, some shouldn't be inhaled, and some can burn.

Thoroughly homogenize this mixture, possibly slightly heating if need be (I mix all my ingredients in glass test tubes, then heat up a bowl full of water and swirl the test tube around in the water to heat the mixture).

I then add about .25mL of this entire mixture to 30 grams dried, pulverized tobacco. (I suggest this grinder from Walmart), I run it at 12 cups fine - twice. Then sift it through a 100 mesh screen to remove bits of stem, or foreign materials that don't get ground. This will leave the Tobacco Flour warm, let air out for 12 hours, it will smell slightly green.

When you drop the oil into the flour, it will stand on top of the Tobacco Flour, mix it in with a stainless steel rod (I use as SS BBQ rod). I let this stand for about 30 minutes, close the container, shake it and seal it.

I've also done similar recipes using Creme-De-Menthe, Apple Jack, Lemon, Butterscotch, Rum etc.

I haven't noticed any negative side effects from using alcohol, and my guess is it evaporates off or converts to something else.

CobGuy

Welcome to the forum Tanko!

Making your own snuff can be as simple, or complex, as you want to make it. The MOST basic snuff is literally whole-leaf tobacco ground into a flour.

What will you be working with as far as leaf variety and what type of snuff do you want to make?

Tanko

Thanks for the recipes ^^.

After a bit of reflexion, I intend to work probably with:
- little cuba, little dutch, ohio dutch, paris wrapper, cuba-4 : when they're done, so, in some month probably if everything OK. ^^
- Vanilla beans and fresh coconuts for flavors (some producers here, and coconut is a traditional usage for chewing tobacco carrots on theses islands)
- Commercial sodium carbonate or sea salt, I got too. Not sure to use, but will probably give a try.

I have some spares (half-cigars of unknow maker) for some tests, waiting for the plants to grew, dry, ect.
No snuff at all here, I will try to speak to the tobacco importer next week if he has something.

Tanko

Hello.

Some Eucalyptus grew here. I want to give it a try. Do you think dry leaf eucalyptus powder will work? How many? Do you know how to make that dry powder from raw leafs?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I'm not a medical professional so take this at your own risk, but according to WebMD it is a safe food additive and medicinal additive so I'd imagine the powder wouldn't cause an issue. As always, I'd suggest mixing a small amount with tobacco flour, inhale and see how it feels. If it hurts, causes irritation, knocks you out...Don't use it.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...redientid=700&activeingredientname=eucalyptus

Huffelpuff

I'll throw my recipe for Coconut Mocha Menthol nasal snuff out here for you. Ive scaled this down quite a bit for you as well so you aren't buried under a ton if you don't like it.

30 grams tobacco flour
5-10 grams Coconut Mocha coffee
2.5-5 grams of hot chocolate mix (cocoa powder and sugar)
menthol crystals to taste. I use less than .5 grams for this quantity
Salt to taste usually between 1-3 grams is all you'll need

grind all together until super fine and sift. You can also "ferment" the tobacco flour by adding sodium carbonate at a rate of 1-3 grams per 10 grams [EDIT: 1-3 grams per 100 grams] of tobacco flour. You'll need to add distilled water to make a paste from the tobacco, sodium carbonate and salt. Let it sit in a warm spot covered for a week or two then dry it out and regrind it. Then mix in the coffee, chocolate and menthol if desired.

Hope this helps you out.
Jim

Oh and yes Eucalyptus is a nice addition to nasal snuff. I use essential oil for that but the leaves should be fine as long as ground really well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huffelpuff

Anytime. I'm working on other flavors too so if you need more recipes I'm happy to share what I've got.

Jim

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
You can also "ferment" the tobacco flour by adding sodium carbonate at a rate of 1-3 grams per 10 grams of tobacco flour.
Adding the base at 1-3 grams per 10 is probably a typo that could burn you, try 1-3 grams per 100 tobacco flour.

Huffelpuff

Thank you for catching that! I don't see anyway to edit the post so please anyone reading this 1-3 grams of base per 100 grams of tobacco is what I was aiming for. Trying to post from a phone is such a pain.

thanks
jim

Status
Not open for further replies.