Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Makeshift irrigation method

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeStack

I am planting tobacco on a piece of property that has no access to electricity or water. I want to water my plants for the first few weeks to make sure they survive. I purchased a couple of 55 gallon plastic drums that I was going to place on my trailer, and then transport the drums of water to the tobacco field. I was going to buy a submersible pump that is strong enough to pump the water through two sprinklers. Here are the sprinklers:
sprinkler.jpg
But using a submersible pump requires electricity so I would have to buy a generator also. Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to which pump (brand and model) I could use? Or if you have another method for watering. Any suggestions would be welcome.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you are under drought conditions, you may not need to water them at all. Saturate each transplant with one cup of water at the time of transplanting, then just keep an eye on them. Enthusiastic watering may prevent the roots from going deep, and may actually compromise the health of the plant. In my tobacco beds, which were transplanted as much as 6 weeks ago, I have yet to provide supplemental water. Of course, your conditions may be quite different.

Bob

jeapadrenaline

If yu need to water, buy yourself a 12volt RV pump they are pressure acrivated ans usually provide 50-60 psi, same as household city water. Those pumps are usually hooked to the bottom of the tank, not sure if thwy will prime themselves. May be able to find a cheap used one from an old rv.
They usually run 150 bucks. I got a 12volt pony pump from harbor freight for 60 bucks it lifts and self primes to 23 feet but does not provide pressure. I just use the gardenhose with an old showerhead attached to water my veggies and it works awesome. Pump supposedly will do up to 240 gallons per hour. I use 15 feet suction and 100 feet lead, pumps 180 gallons per hour.
Hope that helps

Make sure to use seperate battery or leave vehicle running, otherwise you may end up walking. A 700cca battery will run easly 1/2-1 hour, but output volume of hose slows down. For best results, leave vehicle idling.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Depending on the grade of your plot you might want to consider gravity feed to a couple of soaker hoses. I do that and with a little attention to little feeder paths it works just fine. I take water from a little trickle that runs across the edge of the property and that only gives me a head of about 3'..It's slow but I figure that's good.

John

leverhead

I ended up giving up on gravity at a low head with soaker hoses. But I waited too long hoping for rain, the ground got powder dry deeper than my finger. I went with Harbor Freight's booster pump ($120), it's a 120V electric. jeapadrenaline's 12VDC idea should do, just don't overwater.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
You'll use a heck of a lot less water if you just use a "Hillbilly watering can". I didn't name it, but a guy on the farm where I grow did.

They're easy to make and you can use just about anything lying around to make one. The only tools you need is a hammer and a couple nails or a screw driver and a couple of screws.

Get a stick about 3' long, an old soup can (works best). Poke some wholes in the bottom of the can (10 -15), put the stick inside the can, screw through the can into the stick. Use a 5 gallon bucket to tote your water down the row. Dunk the can-on-a-stick into the bucket of water, take it out right next to the plant and hold it over the plant.

There is a possibility the plants might actually need water within a few weeks of setting. One 16 oz. can of water will get a young plant through the toughest time. If it doesn't rain within 3 days of watering, hit them again, but you'll likely not need to do it a third time.

If your soil is very sandy, you might need to water more often...very early in the season.

SmokeStack

Thanks for all suggestions. I saw a gasoline-powered water pump on Home Depot's website for $219.00 with free-shipping. It is small and light-weight and should do the job - and since it is gas powered, I don't have to worry about a source of electricity. In case you're interested, visit Home Depot's website "Buffalo Tools 5.5 HP Gas-Powered 2 in. Utility Water Pump." I am very tempted.

jeapadrenaline

I'm not sure how much you can restrict the flow of one of those pumps, nor what kind of pressure it produces, but free flowing as they do when transfering water or pumping out a tank or pond, a 2 inch gas pump generally pumps 7500 to 10'000 gallons an hour. That's roughly 120-200 gal/ minute. That translates to emptying a 55gal drum in under 30 seconds.
Just something to think about.
At work i used to use a 3 inch pump, and we blew firehoses apart if we closed the nozzle right off. Gardenhoses are a lot weaker.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
bypass.png Sorry for the crappy diagram but this is often used in the Ag Sprayer world, a simple bypass with a 3 way valve, a tee in the feed line and a gauge allows you to adjust the pressure.

most every sprayer I send out at my office has this set up, it allows you to restrict flow and monitor/reduce/increase pressure.

Every pump from 1.8GPM on up it works with. Just a friendly suggestion...

Status
Not open for further replies.