Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Active Hacker in process

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
****THIS IS NOT A TEST****

The forum has been targeted by one or more active hackers. Mods and Admins, please be sure your passwords are obscure. You should have a combination of numbers AND upper AND lower case letters.

All members should be sure to have real passwords and never use "password" or your user name as a password. Members accounts that are hacked can give the hacker access to personal information. It is YOUR responsibility to use a secure password.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thanks Don. I had a pretty good password, but I've had the same one since I joined the forum. I just changed to a new secure password. Occasionally changing passwords is not a bad idea anyway. Symbols in your password (%, or @, or _, or $, etc.) also make them harder to crack.
And for the love of Forum Founders, please do not use your birthday!

webmost

Thanks for the tip. Think I'll change my password now. Thinking about using 1234567890. That ought to do it.

MarcL

From http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-heartbleed-exposes-data-across-the-internet/

A newly discovered security bug has exposed millions of usernames, passwords and reportedly credit card numbers — a major problem that hackers may have exploited during the more than two years it went undetected.
The bug, called Heartbleed, was found in a type of software called OpenSSL, which is used on servers to encrypt sensitive information to protect people’s privacy. At least 500,000 servers were reportedly vulnerable.
“You should care about this because — whether you realize it or not — a hell of a lot of the security infrastructure you rely on is dependent in some way on OpenSSL,” Matthew Green, a cryptographer and research professor at Johns Hopkins University, said on his blog. “This includes many of the websites that store your personal information. And for better or for worse, industry’s reliance on OpenSSL is only increasing.”
Through the security flaw, which is said to be one of the most serious uncovered in recent years, Heartbleed can access the contents of a server’s memory where private data is stored.
“Once an attacker has a website’s encryption keys, anything is fair game,” wrote Jill Scharr at Yahoo Tech. “Instead of slipping through a proverbial crack in the wall, he can now walk in and out the front door.”
A fix was circulated, but it was unclear how quickly and widely it was being implemented. Conflicting advice was given to consumers by Web sites and technology writers, some advising people to change usernames and passwords and others saying that such changes would be a big mistake.
“If a website is vulnerable, I could see things like your password, banking information and healthcare data, which you were under the impression you were sending securely to your website,” Michael Coates, director of product security for Shape Security, told Reuters.

webmost

This alert will do you no good unless you are the server admin

This alert, as all alerts, is vastly exaggerated.

True, about 2/3 of secure sites use a program named openssl.
However

The flaw mentioned is an error in a certain version of openssl two years ago. Every version installed before is safe. Every version installed after is safe. To be vulnerable, you must have installed the error two years ago and never updated.

You can test a site to see whether it's vulnerable at http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/ . Whole Leaf Tobacco tests out safe. Fair Trade Tobacco tests out safe.

Don't be fooled. Media is all about nipples, gore, and horror. You don't see anywhere near as much of any of those three in real life as you do in media.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
There is no excuse for weak and worthless passwords, and passwords that are seldom changed. Encouraging apathy is generally a poor idea.

With regard to heartbleed, if access was gained to the active memory of a server two years ago, then it was certainly possible to obtain security info that could allow free access at an admin level to the same server today, without regard to the current ssl status. How often do administrators force themselves to change their own logins and passwords?

Testing a website for the fix to the exploit today is of no value in determining if your logins and passwords (you know, the ones that you haven't changed for the last 10 years) have been compromised.

Bob

POGreen

Thanks for the alert Don , ya think that could have anything to do with me not gettin replies from various forums ?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
[TD="class: headerRight"]Thu, Apr 10, 2014 3:18 am[/TD]
Dear fmgrowit,

Your account on vBulletin.org Forum has been locked because someone has tried to
log into the account with the wrong password more than 5 times. You will be able
to attempt to log in again in another 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address:

Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Use
the link below:

[TD="class: headerRight"]

Thu, Apr 10, 2014 1:27 am

[/TD]
Dear fmgrowit, Your account on vBulletin.org Forum has been locked because someone has tried to log into the account with the wrong password more than 5 times. You will be able to attempt to log in again in another 15 minutes. The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 115.127.29.210 Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Use the link below:

[TD="class: headerRight"]Tue, Apr 8, 2014 5:26 pm[/TD]
Dear fmgrowit,

Your account on vBulletin.org Forum has been locked because someone has tried to
log into the account with the wrong password more than 5 times. You will be able

Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Use
the link below:

I posted this announcement before I ever heard of the heartbleed hack (or whatever the hell it's called). Perhaps I'm just over reacting

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I had that happen to Me last year. The Albuquerque Police dep. was just hacked this Mo. by Anonymous Is Legion, We Do Not Forget- We Do Not Forgive. They just got back on line Sunday. It can be seen on YouYube.
My bank acc. was under attack and as well as My PC. the first of last year. I pulled the hard drive and drilled the chips in the mother board of that PC. When I make any payments on line I call the # and do it by phone as well as bills. Checking credit reports often for discrepencies. I give this post 10 stars. I had the same problem here on this site as well and PM,d Don on it as well and He had to re-set My acc.so I could get on. There was alot of comercial tobacco spam that would over take the site page. So I agree with Don. Take care of Your information.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Date: Fri, Apr 11, 2014 3:57 am

Dear fmgrowit,

Must still be imagining things

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Why are the IP addresses different, yet the attempts all occur over a four day period? Can the IP addresses be tracked to a particular town? It could be a competitor.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
There is probably a piece of malware that has infected a number of vulnerable computers worldwide, allowing these "zombie" computers to attempt to login to numerous sites (without any knowledge of the zombie's owners). The malware uses brute force (lots and lots of random login tries) until something works, then returns the valid credentials to a "parent" hacker computer. Sites that limit login attempts to a small number, can seldom be successfully broken into, since brute force requires tens of thousands of attempts. If the target login's password is not among the few thousand most common (lousy) passwords used, and not a simple word from an English dictionary, then it's likely secure. The only downside is that, as Don has seen, it acts as something of a Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) attack, making it difficult for the valid user to log in.

"password": worthless password
"cigar": bad password
"smoke2Many*": good password

Bob

winston-smoker

My practice has been to use cryptic passwords, preferably all consonants (or at least as few vowels as possible). Adding numbers or including random capitalization or symbols (when permitted) to make even more secure. The only thing is that the "code" has to be a sequence of letters and numbers that I can still readily remember. The idea is something meaningful to me, but gibberish to anyone else. However, I must admit that I probably don't change my passwords as often as I should. Incidentally, I heard on the news yesterday that right now is NOT the time to change passwords, as this new bug will enable hackers to see your new password.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Sites that have patched for that vulnerability are safe for changing your password. A number of secure sites have forced me to change my password.

I recommend that users create a meaningful, uncommon phrase for a password. If it's too difficult to remember, then it ends up as a post-it note-->bad. An uncommon phrase can not usually be looked up in a dictionary or listing of famous quotes. If it's meaningful to you, then you can remember it.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.