Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Are ***** Illeagal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
Some where here are some posts about stills and such but I can't find them through the search function
My neighbor and I are trying to find the laws on such matters through searching with Google and can't any
laws concerning them does any one know of specific laws and there internet link where a person can actually
read the law for themselves ?

PS We live in Washington State

Ashauler

Founding Member
According to federal law owning a still is not illegal, it's what you do with it that is legal or illegal. As far as distilling spirits, here is the ttb's faq : http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/faq.shtml#s7
I believe there are links to the actual laws referenced within it.

BarG

Founding Member
If you figure its legal for you , go for it. I'll have to say I have tried very little of shine ,but the little I have tasted has been some of the smoothest alcohol I ever drank. It was a georgia recipe made from a converted beer keg into a still with cracked corn and the other secret ingredients and process.:cool:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
they must be legal to own,

i seen a ad in the local swapper where a guy was looking to buy one,

it read

wanted

moonshine still...

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I called ATF about mine. They said they didn't care what I did with it as long as I didn't use it to make whiskey. Mine is for display purposes.

BigBonner

Founding Member
You can buy a moonshine still off of ebay but you can't sell whole leaf tobacco on there .

From what I hear if you do buy a still they have your info and the feds can come and see if it is just display or in use .

Anybody know where I can buy copper sheets cheap ?

I would like to make a still for ornamental purposes :rolleyes:

johnlee1933

Founding Member
You can buy a moonshine still off of ebay but you can't sell whole leaf tobacco on there .

From what I hear if you do buy a still they have your info and the feds can come and see if it is just display or in use .

Anybody know where I can buy copper sheets cheap ?

I would like to make a still for ornamental purposes :rolleyes:
Did you ever consider a stainless steel 55 gallon drum? I understand they exist. -- John

BigBonner

Founding Member
Did you ever consider a stainless steel 55 gallon drum? I understand they exist. -- John

I hear they exist to but I can't find one . 55 Gal ,That might make a quart or two or it would make a very interesting display piece in my house .

Im still looking .

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I hear they exist to but I can't find one . 55 Gal ,That might make a quart or two or it would make a very interesting display piece in my house .

Im still looking .
Another thought -- They have these food grade steel drums with the top that is held on with a clamp. Easy to fill and clean and when the top is missing it's just another feed or storage drum. -- John

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I think copper is used because it removes some stuff from the mash that stainless doesn't, giving a better taste. Make sure to use lead free solder. Get the Foxfire book.

ne3go

Be careful with copper stills! (bought ones or handmade)
The distilled product usually has a small amount of copper. That's giving the better taste compared with stainless pots, and that's why big companies use copper stills.
But usually home-made products hane higher persentage of copper. And the copper is very toxic if get in your stomach!!!
People i know here, made their own distilled product from grapes (raki), did a chemical analysis and found out that the product is not for drinking!

notcrack

I genuinely surprised that stills are illegal (or the drink you make with them) for you guys. In the UK you are perfectly allowed to make anytype of alcohol for your own consumption. You can even buy the kits for any type of liquor. I might have to take advantage of this freeness.

Markw

I have been around a few Scotch Whiskey Distilleries, nearly all of them use copper stills. The Springbank distillery had 4 lovely old ones . The finished Whiskey was fantastic, well what I could remember of it, things become very jaded with all the sampling.

Markw

notcrack

I have been around a few Scotch Whiskey Distilleries, nearly all of them use copper stills. The Springbank distillery had 4 lovely old ones . The finished Whiskey was fantastic, well what I could remember of it, things become very jaded with all the sampling.

Markw

The same thing happened to me at the Whyte and Mackay distillery. I think I even brought a square foot of land next to the factory for some reason. I'll have to look in to that though.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member

Im still looking .

Bee supply companies have them. I think Brushy Mountain Bee Farm has them. If you can't find any let me know and I'll track one down.

Boboro

Ive seen whisky made It was made with rye grass seed. The mash was some of the nastyest stuff I ever seen or smelt. It had maggets on top of it and he gust stired them in. He made the mash in big plastic garbage cans witch was appropriate. But it was good drankin.Tasted like tequilla with a kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.