Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Are leaves from the 2nd priming smaller than the 1st at harvest time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeStack

This week I will begin harvesting my tobacco – my first priming (leaves from the lower half of the plant). I am harvesting late since I transplanted my seedlings late. The upper leaves are about half the size of the lower leaves. When it’s time for the second priming, will these upper leaves grow to the same size as the lower ones from the first priming?

The reason why I ask this is because when I purchased whole leaf tobacco, the leaves are pretty much all of the same size – so I assume that the second priming leaves are allowed to grow until they are about the same size as the first priming.

Being that it is getting late in the season, I probably won’t have enough time to allow these leaves to grow until they reach the same size as the first priming. Stalk harvested plants (like Burleys) have leaves that vary in size from the ground going upward. Since I have not seen smaller leaves in my purchases of Burley whole leaf tobacco, I wonder if the smaller top leaves are no good and are discarded?

When I refer to upper leaves, I don’t mean the very tips – I’m talking about the top third of the plant. I have read that the top leaves are the best in terms of higher nicotine content and aroma.

Note: I looked at Chicken’s third priming from last year’s crop (photo posted 9-14-2011 from Thread: 3'rd picking harvested,,,{pics}), the leaves look big – maybe the same size as his first priming?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The leaves get smaller as you go up the plant. Since you typically prime about a week apart there will not be enough time for the remaining leaves to grow bigger. With that in mind, the lowers and mids will be very similar in size but you should definitely see a difference between lowers and the upper leaves.Burley leaves are typically sold according to their position on the stalk, so they will look all the same. You can buy tips, middles or lowers leaves. I do not think they they are normally mixed.

Randy B

SmokeStack

Thanks Randy, that was helpful. Since I can prime about a week apart, I should be OK. I was concerned that the smaller (upper) leaf would not be ripe enough. Have you noticed a difference in flavor or aroma between lower, mid and upper leaf?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Thanks Randy, that was helpful. Since I can prime about a week apart, I should be OK. I was concerned that the smaller (upper) leaf would not be ripe enough. Have you noticed a difference in flavor or aroma between lower, mid and upper leaf?
Yes. the lowest leaves are the mildest and have the least nicotine. they get stronger an you go up the plant. Bob posted a thread with a detailed explanation that was very good. I just can't seem to find it.

John

SmokeStack

Thanks John, I tried a search before I posted this thread but it can be very time consuming to sift through them all - especially threads with several pages of replies. I'm guessing the amount of sunlight that the leaves get is a factor, but I don't know why that is.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
smokes, Type "seco" in the search box, hit enter, then go down the list to Michibaccys The Three sections of leaves and parts of the tobacco plant. I think you'll get most of what you want there.

John

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
. Have you noticed a difference in flavor or aroma between lower, mid and upper leaf?

Yes, the upper leaves are definately stronger. This is why I like to stalk cure. After the leaves are cured I strip the entire stalk and tie all the leaves into 1 hand. This method mixes the low nicotine leaves with the mids and uppers ( high nicotine) to give me a balanced blend of leaves.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah mixing it all is nice so you can gauge things. I've had a few occasions before doing this that a BigB leaf has done a number on me lol. I can't imagine rustica being stronger than some of his tips.

BarG

Founding Member
Yes, the upper leaves are definately stronger. This is why I like to stalk cure. After the leaves are cured I strip the entire stalk and tie all the leaves into 1 hand. This method mixes the low nicotine leaves with the mids and uppers ( high nicotine) to give me a balanced blend of leaves.
I considered doing that for my bursa and ottoman, Maybe next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.