Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Are these ready for the garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwaller

Today is hot day - low 80's. I expected tobacco to love it, but the leaves are drooping. Is this a function of heat or dehydration?!

Attachments

• IMG_20170624_134619171.jpg
    IMG_20170624_134619171.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Leaf drooping during the daylight hours on a hot day is normal. As soon as the sun sets, they should raise their hands in prayer.

Bob

burge

They to me look ready I haven't grown tobacco though but tomato plants starting them inside. I am not sure what the weather forecast has been but it would not hurt to take the watering can around.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Wilting leaf in the morning before it gets hot requires water I hear. I've never had to water it before if the ground was prepared properly.

ChinaVoodoo

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Take a tablet of aspirin...
...and call me in the morning. Water tonight if they don't perk up. Don't water tonight if they do.

I was about to suggest that the aspirin/drought resistance association might be bunk, but I notice that I already did that in the cited thread.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

...and call me in the morning. Water tonight if they don't perk up. Don't water tonight if they do.

I was about to suggest that the aspirin/drought resistance association might be bunk, but I notice that I already did that in the cited thread.

Bob

Every time I read a peer reviewed article, I always ask myself, "But, is it Bob reviewed?"

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Peer reviewed, published studies are preponderantly meaningful science. Since drought is a major agricultural problem in many parts of the world, I would be truly delighted if all it needs is an aspirin.

Of course, we all said that 4 decades ago about a daily aspirin dramatically reducing cardio-vascular risk. Sometimes the magic works.

Bob

mwaller

Much to my surprise, a few of my plants are starting to bud. What is the best bet for commercially available bags? Paint strainers?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Paint strainers are the easiest. If anyone on the forum had time and inclination to sew some bags I know I need like 20 myself. I'll probably be getting mine at Amazon though, cheapest place I've seen at about a dollar a bag

mwaller

Here's a Little Dutch flower head. What size strainer bag do I need, and how do I secure it? Most of the bags I've seen have elastic bands that are designed to fit snugly on a 1 or 5 gallon can...
IMG_20170626_083108408.jpg

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
5 gallon. Seems silly when you first put the big bag on but then it makes sense by the time it fills it up.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Like Smokes said... 5 gallon. I use the equivalent size Organza bag. Just secure with a string. Make sure to remove the leaves around the bud and it helps a lot if you spray the bud with some Spinosad (or equivalent) to prevent bud worms from destroying your seeds.

mwaller

Thanks! I will grab some insecticide while I'm at the garden store.
When is the appropriate time to top plants that I don't want to flower?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Little Dutch puts out a seed head that is as large as any other tobacco variety. The 5 gallon bag will seem small, once the pods begin to fill it.

Garden_20110805_09_LittleDutch_600.jpg

August, 2011.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I really like the look of those long thin leaves! Might have to add that next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.