Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

ARS-GRIN "Material not available at this time"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
i think the TI's are the most needed, the tc's are usually the same strain but with different augmentations. ti's have unique flavors.

Fisherman

Helpful info from GRIN site about their cultivar reports:
The format of the download is a comma delimited text file with double-quotes around character fields (GRIN.CSV file). In most browsers when you start the download you are prompted whether to open the file in an application or download it to your disk.
  • To open this file directly in Excel (or any application that can handle the .CSV format), when you are asked to handle the file, choose to open it. If you are not automatically offered to open the file with Microsoft office Excel or an other application that can handle a .CSV format, then browse to your Program Files, Microsoft Office, Office folder, which contains your Excel program or find your other application that handles .CSV files and select it. If you are offered your program of choice, just click the OK button.
  • Or you can just download the file and save it, the normal file name is GRIN.CSV, many applications (like Excel) will properly open .CSV files.
The resulting spreadsheet (similar to most spreadsheets) contains column names in the first row of the datafile. Below is the explanation for the abbreviated names, and are listed in alphabetical order. The number at the end of the line shows the width of the column:

1. acp = Accession prefix (4)
  2. acno = Accession number (7)
  3. acs = Accession suffix (optional) (4)
  4. cmt = Commment about the accession (240)
  5. country = Country where the accession was collected/developed (30). Selecting country includes:
    • srctype = acquisition type (collected, donated, developed)
    • latitude = latitude where collected
    • longitude = longitude where collected
  6. dqname = Descriptor name (e.g. YIELD) (10)
  7. ename = Evaluation study (40)
  8. freq = Frequency within the accesion this ob value occurs (10)
  9. high = Maximum value for accession (7)
  10. low = Minimum value for this accession (7)
  11. mean = Average value for accession (7)
  12. ob = Actual evaluation/characterization value (30)
  13. orgvalue = Original value when ob value is standardized (e.g adjusted to a check variety, mean of several values etc.) (30)
  14. plantid = Plant name (cultivar or other identifier) (40)
  15. qual = Qualifier (optional - often denotes race or strain) (30)
  16. sdev = Standard deviation for accession (7)
  17. ssize = Sample size for above statistics (7)
  18. taxon = Taxonomic name of accession (100)

http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/dumpevalhelp.html

More identifier information here.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/obs.pl?1447599

Bingo!

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/desclist.pl?81

AmaxB

Update on my order to ARS-GRIN got all 8 types, I had ordered in the mail to day. :)
Seen workhorse got seed as well

Fisherman

Mr Deluxe,
When looking for a strain to grow................. Is the "SUCROSE ESTER CONTENT IN UG/CM2." or "SUCROESTER" a sign of a more flavorful tobacco????? Also what amount of nicotene would be good? High? Low?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
FmGrowit grew a large number of varieties with high sucro-ester. I've sample some. My impression (just an impression) is that it does not relate to the flavor, but rather it seems to produce a leaf that is stickier after air-curing. Those that I kilned were flavorful, but not unusually so. My take is that those with high sucro-ester require more aging or require kilning, when compared to many other varieties. I may be way off here.

As another excursion into speculation, I believe that the existence of a Ti or Tc label is dependent on the sourcing of the seed donation. All accessions to ARS-GRIN have a Pi number. Some have even more obscure number prefixes.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
ive found the ti's to be the original bring backs from around the globe, ti stands for tobacco introduction. these are usually local tobaccos that were either wild or locally cultivated. the tcs are the commercial varieties. there is mixing though, a lot of the resistances we have in commercial stock is thanks to the introductions being bred into the line to give the commercial blend the resistance that the wild variety possessed.

from what i experienced personally (and i could be way off here) the burleys all taste pretty similar, the brights also all taste like other brights. the ti's have different flavors though, thats why i said ti's would be more important, simply because while you could request 50 different varieties of orinoco or orinoco offspring, they'd all grow slightly different but all taste basically the same. if your orinoco grows fine in your yard you're good to go with that entire category. same for burley and dark air. this is heavily my opinion though and i am not saying it is even true. but for me, i have no desire for maryland, so with 1 burley, 1 bright, 1 dark that satisfies me for all their incarnations, leaving my interests to trend to the ti's. silver river undoubtedly is a ti. so with limited space and time, the ti just interest me more because they are wild cards and not available anywhere else in the world really, whereas everyone sells burley, bright, dark, md, etc.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Mr Deluxe,
When looking for a strain to grow................. Is the "SUCROSE ESTER CONTENT IN UG/CM2." or "SUCROESTER" a sign of a more flavorful tobacco????? Also what amount of nicotene would be good? High? Low?

In the book by Tso he says that optimal flavor is obtained when a ratio of approximately 5:1 is attained between nicotine and sucrosester. I grew Copan last year. It has the highest sucrosester content ever measured. I can't say it stood out in any particular way.

JessicaNicot

Hello everyone. I am the newest curator of the US Nicotiana Germplasm Collection and I am very sorry that our accessions were previously unavailable as we worked to establish a new home and source of funding for the collection. Although our collection is included in the USDA backed GRIN program, our collection is not funded by the US government as many of the other programs are and thus some drastic measures were taken in order to protect and ultimately preserve the collection as we experienced the volitility of staff departures and budget cuts. However, now that the situation has stabilized, I wanted to inform you that all of our Nicotiana accessions have been restored to active status in GRIN, effective 1 April 2013, and that all domestic seed requests are being filled at this time. However, due to limited resources and staffing, international orders are being directed to the Tobacco Institute of Bergerac (http://www.imperial-tobacco-bergerac.com/index.html) in France.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Hello everyone. I am the newest curator of the US Nicotiana Germplasm Collection and I am very sorry that our accessions were previously unavailable as we worked to establish a new home and source of funding for the collection. Although our collection is included in the USDA backed GRIN program, our collection is not funded by the US government as many of the other programs are and thus some drastic measures were taken in order to protect and ultimately preserve the collection as we experienced the volitility of staff departures and budget cuts. However, now that the situation has stabilized, I wanted to inform you that all of our Nicotiana accessions have been restored to active status in GRIN, effective 1 April 2013, and that all domestic seed requests are being filled at this time. However, due to limited resources and staffing, international orders are being directed to the Tobacco Institute of Bergerac (http://www.imperial-tobacco-bergerac.com/index.html) in France.
For all of us thank you for the notification. Are you seeking/accepting seed to add to the bank? If so what are your criterion? I am sure members would be glad to contribute seed with good provenance/history if they knew what you wanted/needed. It might be of interest to know that we have members from many parts of the world.

I am sure it would be of interest to our members to know how you choose to store seed. That subject has been of lively interest recently.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and Thank you for the notification.

I'd like to suggest we not take advantage of this notification, but somehow organize a "seed request" thread to minimize the demand on the resource. In my opinion, there is no reason for everyone to request the same seeds when a single request could provide sufficient quantities for many requests.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum and Thank you for the notification.

I'd like to suggest we not take advantage of this notification, but somehow organize a "seed request" thread to minimize the demand on the resource. In my opinion, there is no reason for everyone to request the same seeds when a single request could provide sufficient quantities for many requests.
I'm good for this year. We'll see what next year briings. In the mean time with this years harvest our seed bank should gain ground. The "some how organize" thing seems to be a problem for us.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'm going to try to have a hack made to allow for unlimited poll options and put the whole grin list in the poll. Each member would have 10 selections and their names would be made public.

This would be the easiest way to keep track of the desires of everyone who would want to participate in a reduced burden on the new curator of the grin seed bank.

I'll hold still while you aim.

Fisherman

I'm going to try to have a hack made to allow for unlimited poll options and put the whole grin list in the poll. Each member would have 10 selections and their names would be made public.

This would be the easiest way to keep track of the desires of everyone who would want to participate in a reduced burden on the new curator of the grin seed bank.

I'll hold still while you aim.

Good idea and am looking forward to the chance to help in growing out. I have 6 varieties ordered from commercial growers but would like to help out the seed bank also

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Don,
I think that idea may be a challenge. The entire list (without the accession details) will be mostly meaningless, and will be so long that it will make the forum page less than user friendly. I would suggest instead that interested members simply explore ARS-GRIN and post their desires in a dedicated (i.e. chatter-free) thread. Then we can have an eager volunteer (I nominate Knucklehead.) do the math, and make up a final list.

Bob

leverhead

Don,
I think that idea may be a challenge. The entire list (without the accession details) will be mostly meaningless, and will be so long that it will make the forum page less than user friendly. I would suggest instead that interested members simply explore ARS-GRIN and post their desires in a dedicated (i.e. chatter-free) thread. Then we can have an eager volunteer (I nominate Knucklehead.) do the math, and make up a final list.

Bob

I'll second that too! I think Knucklehead can count to 21, more if they taught him to cypher in Bama:) A coordinated effort effort will get more done.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.