Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Authentic marlboro recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
On the Philip Morris International website, I tried selecting canada or USA but they were not available so I selected the UK. After selecting everything so to get to the marlboro red, I clicked the ingredients and there before in percentage was everything they add to their marlboro red. here is the link http://www.pmi.com/eng/our_products/pages/technical_products_information.aspx

and here is the list
IngredientAmount %mg/cig
Burnt items
tobacco20.7547.7
water2.874.5
cigarette papers1.642.5
sugars (sucrose and/or invert sugar)0.924.5
propylene glycol0.513.6
glycerol0.411.1
licorice extract0.13.3
guar gum0.0501.3
side seam adhesives0.0300.8
cocoa and cocoa products0.0210.5
carob bean and/or extract0.0200.5
natural & artificial flavourings0.0010.030
monogram inks0.0010.020
Unburnt items
filtration material4.4116.0
tipping papers and tipping paper inks0.821.9
filter wraps0.513.2
filter adhesives0.26.6
Total 100%878.0

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Calculating mg/cigarette, the tobacco is ~62.4%. It makes you wonder how accurate any of the numbers are. If you go to that page, and select UK, Marlboro, etc. to reach the table that you've posted...click on that innocuous link in the table entitled "natural & artificial flavorings". Zowie!

Bob

chillardbee

I know, unbelievable. I think for the reds there was I typo. When I selected the marlboro brightleaf there was an accurate table of percentages and there were a lot less chemicals in it to. brightleaf ingredients-

IngredientAmount %mg/cig
Burnt items
tobacco61.9525.6
water8.067.7
cigarette papers4.538.4
sugars (sucrose and/or invert sugar)0.97.9
glycerol0.97.6
propylene glycol0.76.2
side seam adhesives0.0850.7
Unburnt items
filtration material16.1137.0
tipping papers and tipping paper inks3.832.1
filter wraps2.117.9
filter adhesives1.08.4
Total 100% 849.7

chillardbee

the percentage take the entire cigarette as a whole as well so a little bit of math and you'd be able to figure out the appropriate amounts.

by starting with the tobacco you would go 525.6 X x =1000, x = 1.9025875190258751902587519025875 or 1.90 rounded. the reason I would do this is so you can easily say that 1000 is in grams or 1Kg. use the 1.90 to multiply the other figures and here is the recipe-

1 kg baccy
129gm water
15gm sugar (invert)
14gm glycerol
12gm propylene glycol

of course there would be more water to case it thoroghly then dried down to the moisture level at which 129gm of water in a kilo of baccy works out to be 11.43% moisture. the total weight of the tobacco after adding the ingredients with the water (we are talking bone dry tobacco with no moisture to start with) would be 1170 gm or 1.17kg.

jwit76

Always interesting info, thanks for sharing. Although I appreciate a pure tobacco smoke, I can't help but admire the amount of engineering that goes into something as simple as stuffing tobacco into a paper tube.

BarG

Founding Member
Now tell me Mr. chillardbee, How in the hell can a 40+ year marlboro smoker supposed to manufacture that. I see no mention on tobaccos used. I would need to know that. Some hellacious research though, I could never use it. Others may! Good Job.

Bex

I have read, somewhat anecdotally, that the blend is 70% burley, 15% virginia, 15% oriental. It also appears that in the above chart, there is no mention of the delightful carpet glue (or whatever it is) that is now on the papers of fire-safe cigarettes - unless they are considering that as part of the paper adhesive. And it would seem that the 61.9% allocated to 'tobacco' is a bit of an umbrella for all the reconstituted and floor clippings that are thrown in....:)

Freeotatv

If i recall correctly from my readings on commerical casings...

most of the formulas documents have fine print detailing something to the effect of " maximum amount used" which i inferrred as hpw these commercial formulas are being made public bc i also recall reading that the casing/topping and actual blend of tobacco is closely guarded trade secrets by commercial tobacco co's.

so i inferred that the recipes provided is not the actual formulas used and also some ingredients may not be used at all

but i am proabably completely wrong about my inferrence

DonH

If i recall correctly from my readings on commerical casings...

most of the formulas documents have fine print detailing something to the effect of " maximum amount used" which i inferrred as hpw these commercial formulas are being made public bc i also recall reading that the casing/topping and actual blend of tobacco is closely guarded trade secrets by commercial tobacco co's.

so i inferred that the recipes provided is not the actual formulas used and also some ingredients may not be used at all

but i am proabably completely wrong about my inferrence
No, I think you're right. They're probably allowed to list everything they could use. And there's no way they're going to give away the formula.

chillardbee

Now tell me Mr. chillardbee, How in the hell can a 40+ year marlboro smoker supposed to manufacture that. I see no mention on tobaccos used. I would need to know that. Some hellacious research though, I could never use it. Others may! Good Job.

That is the dillema that I'm having with my Export "A" (fine cut)blend made by JTI. They have everything listed that's in the tobacco But they don't list the type of tobacco that makes the blend let alone the varieties of the type. But for me that's a moot point until I can successfully produce an honest to goodness flue cure from my vriginias.

But, I like to think that having part of the equation is half the battle won and knowing the basic blending techniques for cigarette manufacturing and the kind of casing and top dressing they use gives us something of a starting point from where we can add or subtract to achieve something notably close to the product we are striving for.

Bex

As a noob, this is probably meaningless but I was a Marlboro smoker for 40 years (or even more). And picky about it, too - NO softpack, only box. I have now been smoking a whole leaf blend that I make, for the past 2 years or so. Now if I smoke a Marlboro, I'm not particularly crazy about it - I prefer the whole leaf blend. Strangely, my original 'goal' in all of this was to be able to duplicate Marlboros with whole leaf. Now I think I've kind of surpassed them.

chillardbee

It's funny that I enjoy my brand of choice here in Canada, which is the Export "A" premium fine cut (green can) but that of I like the marlboro red and winstons too, which are not typicaly available in canada. If I had to give an account to my prefered taste palet for a cigarette I would say above medium to full flavoured, with flavours that are typical found in the afore mentioned tobaccos. With a broad range of preferance, it will be easier to acheive something that I can truly enjoy.

I should say that I might try this recipe on a small batch of tobacco for a novelty to see how it turns out but I do prefer the the casing recipe of the Export "A" blend above anything else i've tried so far.

Freeotatv

That is the dillema that I'm having with my Export "A" (fine cut)blend made by JTI. They have everything listed that's in the tobacco But they don't list the type of tobacco that makes the blend let alone the varieties of the type. But for me that's a moot point until I can successfully produce an honest to goodness flue cure from my vriginias.

But, I like to think that having part of the equation is half the battle won and knowing the basic blending techniques for cigarette manufacturing and the kind of casing and top dressing they use gives us something of a starting point from where we can add or subtract to achieve something notably close to the product we are striving for.

agreed..check the post and link i posted to "yessmoke" casing recipe...easy percentage based recipe with easily had ingredients..that is what i based my diy casing recipe from with some slight variations

Matty

It's funny that I enjoy my brand of choice here in Canada, which is the Export "A" premium fine cut (green can) but that of I like the marlboro red and winstons too, which are not typicaly available in canada. If I had to give an account to my prefered taste palet for a cigarette I would say above medium to full flavoured, with flavours that are typical found in the afore mentioned tobaccos. With a broad range of preferance, it will be easier to acheive something that I can truly enjoy.

I should say that I might try this recipe on a small batch of tobacco for a novelty to see how it turns out but I do prefer the the casing recipe of the Export "A" blend above anything else i've tried so far.

I as well, at one time, aimed my blending and casing experiments towards Export A, Rothmans blue, Marlboro... but now I don't use casing of any sort at all, just tobacco. I'm using a combination of flue cured virginia, air cured virginia and air cured burley. After that it gets complicated, using different batches of home grown, thicker or thinner, darker or lighter colour leaf, kilned or unkilned, depending on what I want to smoke. Nowadays and for over a year now, the storebought smokes people give me just don't come close at all to being good or satisfying. I still play with casings once in awhile but just for fun. I didn't think Export A had casing added to it anyway, just tobacco.

Bex

I also had an issue when I first moved to Ireland - the tobacco used in the Marlboros here is European grown, which tasted differently. Also the nicotine levels were a bit less than the US Marlboro red box, as well. When I could no longer get US Marlboros mailed to me (and I did this for quite a while) and had to smoke the European ones, it took a couple of weeks of cutting filters in half, etc., to finally 'get used to them'. It also took a few weeks to get used to internet bought shredded tobacco (Manitou and Pueblo) and then a few weeks to conjure up a blend with the internet leaf, so that I would find it satisfying. My current blend is 8 parts burley, 4 parts Red Virginia and 3 parts Virginia. I suppose if I went back to commercial cigarettes, once again I would get used to them, but I truly prefer the blend I'm using now. No casing (something I haven't 'studied' yet...)

DonH

I also had an issue when I first moved to Ireland - the tobacco used in the Marlboros here is European grown, which tasted differently. Also the nicotine levels were a bit less than the US Marlboro red box, as well. When I could no longer get US Marlboros mailed to me (and I did this for quite a while) and had to smoke the European ones, it took a couple of weeks of cutting filters in half, etc., to finally 'get used to them'. It also took a few weeks to get used to internet bought shredded tobacco (Manitou and Pueblo) and then a few weeks to conjure up a blend with the internet leaf, so that I would find it satisfying. My current blend is 8 parts burley, 4 parts Red Virginia and 3 parts Virginia. I suppose if I went back to commercial cigarettes, once again I would get used to them, but I truly prefer the blend I'm using now. No casing (something I haven't 'studied' yet...)
Wow, that is one strong, full-flavored blend! No wonder European Marlboros weren't satisfying to you. You should try to get ahold of WLT's Dark Air third priming. Or BigBonner's Burley Red Tips.

I just tried one of your blend. That's a man's smoke! Not questioning your femininity, just questioning my masculinity :D. You should try growing Burley. I don't think flue cured grown in your climate will give you the kick you want. You could air cure it in your flue cure chamber at lower temperatures. Burley color cures super easy. I think in Europe they cap the amount of nicotine in a cigarette.

Bex

The Marlboros used to be 1.0 mg, if I remember correctly - over here they're 0.8. Actually, the blend that I'm smoking tastes pretty much to me like the American Spirit, Pueblo or Manitou loose tobacco that I was smoking before I found internet leaf. My Dad - originally a Marlboro smoke - began to smoke Mores at some point, and I find that pure burley tastes exactly like this. The Red Virginia is a bit too strong and gaggy for me on its own, and the regular Virginia, to me, tastes like sucking air through a straw. Hmmm....I didn't think my 'blend' was anything other than, well, full flavored??? :)
Ah, maybe I'll dump a (good) photo of myself into my avatar, so I can balance out the 'man's blend'.....

DonH

The Marlboros used to be 1.0 mg, if I remember correctly - over here they're 0.8. Actually, the blend that I'm smoking tastes pretty much to me like the American Spirit, Pueblo or Manitou loose tobacco that I was smoking before I found internet leaf. My Dad - originally a Marlboro smoke - began to smoke Mores at some point, and I find that pure burley tastes exactly like this. The Red Virginia is a bit too strong and gaggy for me on its own, and the regular Virginia, to me, tastes like sucking air through a straw. Hmmm....I didn't think my 'blend' was anything other than, well, full flavored??? :)
Ah, maybe I'll dump a (good) photo of myself into my avatar, so I can balance out the 'man's blend'.....
I've tried AS, Manitou and Pueblo and to me they all taste milder than a 53% Burley and 27% Red Virginia blend. Even the American Spirit, which is the strongest flavored of the three tastes like it has much more flue-cured. Also, the Burley I used was toasted.

Knucklehead likes full flavored blends, he should try a 53% Burley, 27% Red VA and 20% VBL blend.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've tried AS, Manitou and Pueblo and to me they all taste milder than a 53% Burley and 27% Red Virginia blend. Even the American Spirit, which is the strongest flavored of the three tastes like it has much more flue-cured. Also, the Burley I used was toasted.

Knucklehead likes full flavored blends, he should try a 53% Burley, 27% Red VA and 20% VBL blend.

That is sure one full flavored blend there. I may have to start calling mine "medium flavored". I like it though, it has several layers of flavor to it but smooth and with a good nic hit. 40% Bright leaf, 20% Burley, 20% Maryland, 10% Dark Air, and 10% Izmir. That's pretty much the one I settled on, I don't experiment with it anymore. I use a Gambler tube. Tubes can change the flavor a little bit. I used to smoke Marlboro Red and Pall Mall, this gets me right in the ballpark strength and flavor wise without casings or toasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.