Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

AZDave's 2nd grow (Spring 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cigar

Bob you are correct about mis-labeled "Long Red"..I just left those seeds in packet the way I got them from someone else.and it was the Mont Calme Yellow that i was talking about. sorry about all the mis-spelled words.

Cigar

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob you are correct about mis-labeled "Long Red
To my knowledge, there is no such thing as Havana Long Red. Physically, Long Red does not resemble a Spanish-type tobacco--in plant shape or leaf structure or finished taste. As to what is actually in the seed packet, who knows? (It might have been assigned the name "Havana Long Red" because the grower simply grew some Havana-ish variety and some Long Red side-by-side, and failed to provide an insect barrier to maintain varietal purity. You just don't know.)

This is not always a bad thing. "Lonnie's Havana" was an open-pollinated variety. Once it has been grown-out for several generations (5 to 7 years), and carefully selected for similarity each generation, they you sometimes can end up with a genetically stable, new variety.

Bob

ArizonaDave

To my knowledge, there is no such thing as Havana Long Red. Physically, Long Red does not resemble a Spanish-type tobacco--in plant shape or leaf structure or finished taste. As to what is actually in the seed packet, who knows? (It might have been assigned the name "Havana Long Red" because the grower simply grew some Havana-ish variety and some Long Red side-by-side, and failed to provide an insect barrier to maintain varietal purity. You just don't know.)

This is not always a bad thing. "Lonnie's Havana" was an open-pollinated variety. Once it has been grown-out for several generations (5 to 7 years), and carefully selected for similarity each generation, they you sometimes can end up with a genetically stable, new variety.

Bob

Bob, is "Lonnie's Havana" the same as Havana 142? I really liked Big Bohnner's 142. Thank you for all this info!

DGBAMA

Bob, is "Lonnie's Havana" the same as Havana 142? I really liked Big Bohnner's 142. Thank you for all this info!

I know Lonnie grew 142. Lonnie's Havanah is likely an open pollinated version. Since we don't know for certain, the name "Lonnie's Havanah" sticks. What I do know is that it is a consistently good grower and producer for me. One of my favorite "cigar types" but good blended in my cigs too. 2015 will be my 3rd year growing it.

Cigar

That was the first tobacco seed [Lonnies Havana] every sent to me few years ago..dont remember if ever grew it..all know I have 'plenty' of that seed left.

Cigar

Cigar

Im sure you are right there DGBAMA...that is rite up there with Fla.Sumtra,Little Dutch..that gets alot of love on this and....else were among the 'must grow' cigar tobaccos.

Cigar

Ben Brand

AD This is the first year Iv`e planted Dom Olor and it looks like its a big boy. I will also do Lonnies Havana next year, it will be good to hear from how it grows>
Ben

ArizonaDave

AD This is the first year Iv`e planted Dom Olor and it looks like its a big boy. I will also do Lonnies Havana next year, it will be good to hear from how it grows>
Ben

I decided not to grow the Olor this year, but am growing the Vuelta Abajo.
Pics to come!
Here's what I started:

Habano Colorado (Argentina) (GRIN)

Jorge Grande (Brazil) (GRIN)

Brazil Bahia

Brazil Dunkel (just started)

Vueta Abajo

Prelep

Lonnie's Havana

Plus I have some pics of my Bonsai Little Dutch that's ready to bloom! And my VA Gold growing out suckers. I was real tempted to cut it down to the base over the winter, since I've already harvested from it.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I decided not to grow the Olor this year, but am growing the Vuelta Abajo.
Pics to come!
Here's what I started:

Habano Colorado (Argentina) (GRIN)

Jorge Grande (Brazil) (GRIN)

Brazil Bahia

Brazil Dunkel (just started)

Vueta Abajo

Prelep

Lonnie's Havana

Plus I have some pics of my Bonsai Little Dutch that's ready to bloom! And my VA Gold growing out suckers. I was real tempted to cut it down to the base over the winter, since I've already harvested from it.

Good looking list of cigar varieties. Looking forward to your year.

Jealous. Our high today was 39 and steady wind did nothing to help the cause.

Man, the wind was cold today!

DGBAMA

I started the earliest variety, the one that's not at WLT. Does 12-91 sound right? I'd have to look it up. Hope you have a wonderful grow year this year!

Sounds right. That is the one in my window grow. Very dense leaf spacing.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I think you need to override your wife ...telling you what you can and can't plant...and if you want to I'd till up the whole yard..and grow bacca in her flower garden...

Some women think they wear the pants...my woman knows she wears the skirt and I wear work boots....

While your at it..why not fly a confederate flag in the front yard (as I do)...

Lol..that may sound good..but not a wise thing to do

POGreen

Hey AZD ,

Are you gonna start yer grow in March like most of us are ?
I've been thinking about flourscent light bulbs ' cause it's mostly grey in the sky over here.......

ArizonaDave

Sounds right. That is the one in my window grow. Very dense leaf spacing.

Everything has sprouted, and I've done something different, since the weather is so mild. I've been putting the seedlings outside in the day, but keeping a careful eye on them. They really seem to prefer the sunlight over the bulbs. Really glad to hear that it's the same variety, and about the dense leaf spacing.

Good looking list of cigar varieties. Looking forward to your year.

Man, the wind was cold today!

We have a nice breeze too, but definitely not cold. It's much different here than when I grew up in Florida, you can step from shade to sun and have a *10 degree difference instantly.

Hey AZD ,

Are you gonna start yer grow in March like most of us are ?
I've been thinking about flourscent light bulbs ' cause it's mostly grey in the sky over here.......

They would help your grow tremendously! Especially if you can rig the bulbs to be close to the plants? They will be in the ground by march :)

Status
Not open for further replies.