Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Beginning Bursa blooming

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Well its only been a few weeks and the bursa is up to 2-3 feet tall and budding already. This is my first bursa plants, my other tobacco is growing as expected. Should I expect this already and is it a typical grow for your bursa? I am planning to sun cure.

BarG

Founding Member
That sounds great Indianjoe, I'm growing bursa for the first time myself. My bursa seedlings are out growing everything else I have going.

Edit: I may try sun curing a sample batch just for fun to see how it tastes. Just that much more to learn about. I'll try a few of the early primings. Keep us posted how it turns out.

Last edited:

Daniel

Banned
It may be a bit early but it is also about what I got out of my Burse last year. THe plant continues to grow even though it is budding and my plants reached 6 feet tall in the end. I don't recall the Bursa being a real bad sucker producer either. Just top it when the buds emarge enough to snip them out and the plant will continue to gain height. I know I see a lot of concern over plants budding while still short. I am not sure exactly why. I knwo I stop feeding my plants when they bud and that may mean I loose some growth in the end. But in my experience a plant is far from finished growing even after it had budded. they will still triple in size.

BigBonner

Founding Member
THe Bursa should get tall 6 ft or better . I think its best to top them at 5.5' tall instaed of waiting to see a bloom .
Here is a picture of bursa

NtDec.jpg

BarG

Founding Member
Thats a cool pic. BB. Do you mainly stalk cure your bursa? I'd like to see a pic of your crop from a higher elevation so you can get a better perpective of the acreage, and varietys. Maybe one of those tall trees would do, with someone energetic enough to make the climb.:cool:

BigBonner

Founding Member
BarG
That would hard to do right now the same field is bare right now . That was last years time warp camera .

Tom_in_TN

Here is a pic of my Bursa taken July 13. They grew another 2' to 3' not counting bloom heads and at least 7' tall. Loads of leaf. Plants came from BigBonner and did very well.
Bursa 07-13-2012 resized.jpg

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
my bursa budded, when they were at least 8 ft . tall,

and the buds, on one plant branched out and got real big,

i topped them at 7 ft, and bagged 2 plants for seed,

and i have had a lot of suckers, matter of fact the whole plant from top to bottom,

right now, is my sucker crop, ive harvested all the large leaves,

and i grew 24 bursa,

and the ammount i harvested, is plenty for me,

my barn is 1/4 bursa,1/4 ottoman,,,,and the rest is about 6 different strains,

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
my bursa budded, when they were at least 8 ft . tall,

My Bursa last year grew to about 6 feet. My soil test from early this spring said I had less than 40# of Nitrogen. I know a lot of you guys throw a lot of fertilizer down and some continue to do so throughout the season. This makes me wonder about the variability in height we are seeing for the same strains of tobacco grown in different locales. I know temps, rain etc effect growth but I suspect the real reason we often see these blooming and height differences is due to the addition of Nitrogen- often times without a soil test and in excess.

Not that I would EVER accuse anyone here of being "excessive"...;)

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i think it had a lot to do with the chicken manure,

and the nitrogen fertilizer,, and the liquid i spray the leaf with,,

all that combined toghter, is why i have a freak of nature,

BarG

Founding Member
My Bursa last year grew to about 6 feet. My soil test from early this spring said I had less than 40# of Nitrogen. I know a lot of you guys throw a lot of fertilizer down and some continue to do so throughout the season. This makes me wonder about the variability in height we are seeing for the same strains of tobacco grown in different locales. I know temps, rain etc effect growth but I suspect the real reason we often see these blooming and height differences is due to the addition of Nitrogen- often times without a soil test and in excess.

Not that I would EVER accuse anyone here of being "excessive"...;)

Ha ha, I have been excessive till I learned my lesson. My bursa this year varied from 5-7'. I got some good sized leaves on some of the plants.

Tom_in_TN

No Chemical Fertilizer. Repeat, NO CHEMICAL FERTILIZER. Crimson Clover, a handful of wood ash on each plant. Plants are over 7' before the bloom head. They did get a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.