Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Belated Season's Greetings From Tucson, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

TusTom

Greetings fellow tobacco consumers!

I believe I've read dang-near every thread in the Cigarette Forum in the past few months and I finally made the plunge to buy two lbs. of Virginia Blend from WLT in order to introduce my wife and myself to MYO cigarettes. While my machinery and tubes came from a different vendor, they were to arrive at a later date than my leaf and I was able to de-rib one lb. of leaf and have it ready for shredding while waiting for the machinery and tubes to arrive.
Upon opening one bag of leaf, I was amazed of what a heavenly aroma it was to smell tobacco leaf in its unadulterated form!

My "machinery" consists of a manual Weston Pasta Machine (w/Angel Hair attachment purchased seperately) and a Powermatic II injector. The consumables consist of Premier Menthol 100 tubes as well as Gambler Tube Cut Gold tubes.

I'm very anxious to get started shredding but have noticed (and read in the forum) that the machining oils need to be removed from the pasta machine prior to use. I suppose I could go through all the trouble of making a sacrificial batch of dough to send through the machine a few times and then brush-out all the flour residue but I wondered if I could just use some disc brake cleaner on the "knives" instead? Any suggestions from you knowledgeable members would be most appreciated.

I also want to go about this new endeavor carefully, absorbing all the information that everyone here in this forum has contributed to make calculated and informed decisions.

You all are a wealth of knowledge and I hope to take plenty of notes during my first process so that I may help others ween themselves from, as my wife says, "The "hot dogs" of cigarettes to the "filet migon" of cigarettes.

FYI, I was going to purchase an e-cig but according to what I've read and heard in the media recently, this is the next product to get hit by taxes. Where does it end?
(I guess my beer is next so look for me on a MYOB forum!)

Best regards to all,

Tom

DGBAMA

Welcome Tom.

For cleaning the new cutter, I would opt for PGA (pure grain alcohol) or similar high proof low flavor alcohol. Stuff in brake cleaner is some pretty nasty chemicals. Alcohol is a good cleaner and safe for consumption.

One for the machine, one for me, ...etc..... Repeat until clean.

TusTom

Thank you all for the quick reply. I love this forum!

DG - thanks for the info. Was thinking that was in brake cleaner couldn't be much worse than commercial.
Now when I need to pick up some beer and then pickup some Everclear (sp), they're going to think I'm going hard-core!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Free-

Was going to go that route but wanted to "cheap-out" on my first attempt as I didn't want to invest too much on our "first redeo". Besides, it gives my wife and I time together, making something we both enjoy. Call it bonding time.
We'll get a power shredder once we get tired of spending too much time together! Besides, I frosted Christmas cookies for her the other day and while I didn't quite enjoy the task, the cookies tasted so much better ;)

TusTom

Dear Knucklehead,

I've read many of your contributions to this forum and you are one of many of the folks here that I've probably learned the most from. Thank you sir!
(Beep Beep!)

TusTom

DG-
How many shots (ounces) does it take to clean a new machine? If given your percentages of PGA and yourself for the cleaning process, I'm going to guess that my wife will end up shredding the leaf while I'm passed-out on the couch!!! (May I commend you on your cleaning process?)
By using your cleaning method and such, my total labor time will be cut-down significantly!

Many thanks!

DGBAMA

You found the humor, so you will fit right in around here.

On a real note, a few ounces in a spray bottle should do the trick.

The pasta maker well get you started, but the Powermatic shredder is the best investment I made when switching to MYO. Probably would have given up on whole leaf without it.

Cigar

the humor is really great around here..honest..DGBAMA is really a Buckeye fan..cant wait to lose this weekend. welcome friend TusTom

Cigar

DGBAMA

the humor is really great around here..honest..DGBAMA is really a Buckeye fan..cant wait to lose this weekend. welcome friend TusTom

Cigar

Haha. The playoff was designed to break up the dominance on the SEC in general. I am an SEC fan, even if it means pulling for Auburn or LSU once in a while. :)

Teams that NEED 35+ pts per game to squeak out wins are not complete teams.

TusTom

Thanks for the welcome Cigar!
Humor is my best attempt at conversation but sometimes have heard that it can be interrupted with normal conversation too. Sometimes folks can't figure out if I'm just being sarcastic, humorous, or if I'm just being myself. You'll all have to figure me out eventually!

DB, thanks again for your input. As mentioned before, this process will give my wife and I more bonding time and not only will we be partaking of making and creating a great smoke, we'll be enhancing our lives as well.
(No, I haven't started on the pasta machine cleaning process yet. This message comes to you prior to your suggestion. The best cleaning solution I can procure right now is either Southern Comfort or some sort of Vodka. I'll save the Southern Comfort for casing when I become proficient at casing and shredding!)

Thanks again!

Tom

DGBAMA

Southern needs to be in a rocks glass with 7n-up over ice and a touch of lime. Use the vodka for cleaning.

Cigar

thank you DGBAMA no disrspect to you TusTom..been sampleing my TN Jack Daniels[Gentlem Jack] given for present..hmmm good..lol

cigar

DGBAMA

thank you DGBAMA no disrspect to you TusTom..been sampleing my TN Jack Daniels[Gentlem Jack] given for present..hmmm good..lol

cigar

That needs nothing but a good chilling or a couple ice cubes. Good stuff, enjoy.

TusTom

Cheers to you DG!
The only thing in our house that had a "7" on it was a bottle of Seagrams so I'm using it. It's supposed to get down into the mid 20's tonight here in Tucson so I figured out that ice wasn't needed for anything.

You've given me something to go on but now I have no ambition to start shredding. I guess I'm going to have to continue smoking these "Hot dog" Marlboro Lights and drinking your Southern Comfort elixir.

I'll get back to you if all works well!

T.

DGBAMA

Enjoy. Southern and 7 is neither popular or trendy, but it is enjoyable...... No sprite, too sweet.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'm very anxious to get started shredding but have noticed (and read in the forum) that the machining oils need to be removed from the pasta machine prior to use. I suppose I could go through all the trouble of making a sacrificial batch of dough to send through the machine a few times and then brush-out all the flour residue but I wondered if I could just use some disc brake cleaner on the "knives" instead? Any suggestions from you knowledgeable members would be most appreciated.

Tom, I wouldn't go spraying any brake cleaner on your pasta machine. I have 3 of them and have never seen oil on any of them. Run a single leaf through and that will probably clean any gook that might be on the machine. The pasta maker is a little tricky to use. If the leaf is too wet it will clog up and you will find yourself cranking pretty hard on the handle. This will strip the pot metal gears. Too dry and the leaf will crumble before making it through the cutters.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Welcome to FTT, Tom. What Jitterbugdude says about the pasta maker is right, getting used to it takes time but it works reasonably if you're not planning to shred too much tobacco at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.