Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Best Baccy Seed For My Area!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pecci

In the process of choosing which seeds to get, now that I've past 5 posts.

I live in So. California, about 12-15 mi from the coast. Average July highs & lows, 87-63. January, 68-44. Despite a modest amount of winter rain, I would be able to give plants the water they need during the growing season. Dry Santa Ana Winds can be common, during Fall. Less so, during winter. Spring and summer have moderate humidity. Usually, the higher the daytime temp. lower the humidity. During April -June low coastal clouds often cause morning overcast, burning off for sunny afternoons. Occasionally, warm, humid monsoon wx pushes up from Mexico from July-Sept.

The soil and water conditions are slightly to moderately alkaline. Soil type is alluvial and drains well. The garden spot will see approx. 4 hrs. of sun per day.

Which initial seeds should I choose? Not a lot of room (5 sq.yrds) and no baccy growing experience. I have additional room in the form of large containers.

Thanks!

Daniel

Banned
Ditto Bob, IT makes a difference if you are growing for cigars, pipe chew or cigarette tobacco.

I grow in 5 gallon buckets so it can be done. Tobacco loves sun so do all you can to give it all you can. Also it is not difficult to grow, getting it started is the hardest part for me second biggest problem I think people have is that they see a huge lush green plant with 2 foot long leaves and think it needs lots of water. It doesn't it likes damp soil but not wet and does not use nearly as much water as I would have thought. It likes slightly acidic soil but I am managing to get it to grow in soil with a Ph of 8.1 right now. So even though acidic might be better I have not found it to be a deal breaker yet.

Pecci

I'm interested, in pipe toby only. I love Burley & Turkish (Oriental) best, but a little Virginia never hurts.

Daniel, where in NV are you?

Daniel

Banned
Pecci, I am in Reno. We have a similar climates as far as moisture and humidity. We just a bit colder in the winter. Tobacco has plenty enough to grow here even with our late warming springs.

I cannot say much on Orientals just yet but will be growing 5 varieties this year. I have heard good things about Samsun though. All I have grown so far is Bursa. I don't think it woudl be a waste of your time to grow but taste is a personal thing.

For Burleys I am excited to try and grow Ergo this year but those seeds are getting harder to find than hens teeth. I have two plants growing in my shop right now that will hopefully produce seed in the next couple of months. I grew Yellow Twist Bud and Monte Calm Yellow last year. I like the YTB better than the MCY but both are smokable.

Virginia. I have 5 varieties of those going as well. Virginia Bright leaf is the only one I grew last year. It came out a weak tobacco for cigarettes but I have since learned it needs to be Flue Cured to make a cigarette tobacco. I Think it would be a good one in pipes to tone things down if needed.

I am not the best person to be advising on tobacco for the pipe. hopefully others with more experience will chime in.

I had no issue with curing of any of the above. Being a pipe smoker you will most likely get more involved in the processes you can do with your tobacco after the curing also. Flavoring, ways to produce Cavendish etc. Basically different fermenting methods.

Also take advantage of the samples that many offer. it will help you figure out what tobacco suit your taste much faster.

Speaking of which, I need to get some flue cured Virginia from Larry.

Pecci

Thanks Daniel. I love the Reno - Carson City area. That giant lake above you doesn't hurt either!

As far as Oriental toby goes ... I believe it grows in rather arid areas around the Black Sea. Probably in some less fertile soil, too. I'll have to research.

Status
Not open for further replies.