Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Can anyone add some insight to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I got this message today. The sender has bought whole leaf in the past and this time the order was for 10 lbs. There has never been an issue with sending whole leaf to Canada. I always print very clearly what is in the package.
Package arrived... the postal worker gave me a card and pointed out that customs wants $1200.00 for PST... it has to be a mistake as we do not have PST in Alberta and obviously the amount is rediculous... she took the package and advised that I should contact you... I assume they are holding it until this gets cleared up.

What is PST? What the hell am I supposed to do about it. I want to help, but I don't have any idea what I can do. All my invoice clearly state the buyer is responsible for any additional tax in Canada.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Provincial sales taxes (PST), levied by the provinces

I may not be totally correct .

10 % should be close.

Lakota

Founding Member
Don I don't think there will be much you can do. The duty on raw leaf tobacco is set at $1.57 per kilo (2.2 lbs). With the brokerage fee, I think it is $5.00 the total cost should just be over $12.00 not $1200.00. If I was the customer I would contact Canada Customs and have them go thru the paperwork.
Alberta has only a 5% GST ( goods and service tax). I think the Post office has screwed up either on the value or forgot to put the decimel in the right place. If your customer has the tracking number, Canada Customes will check it for him Russ

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Thanks guys, I think you're right. Here's what I wrote back...
I filed the same forms as the last time I sent you your order. What did the postal worker tell you I should do? What is PST? I'm not sure what I can do, but if there is something, let me know.

My guess is some over zealous postal manager decided on her own the contents violate some kind of treaty. You're going to have to go to your post office and find out what the real story is.

This was his reply...
Ya... it's usually a mullet... PST is provincial sales tax... which we do not have in Alberta... and 1200.00 dollars would have to be some pretty exclusive uranium filled dental equipment... I'd guess her age around either 14 or 53... IQ hovering around between 80 or 90... interesting how an arbitrary number can have that much weight against law, common sense and ethic... not to mention logic.

I'll go to the post office with portable stool and brown bag lunch in hand... I'll bring along something worthwhile to read and I'll take careful notes as to where the nearest bathroom is... and I'll begin... ya know, ya just can't make this stuff up ......

I take great heart in the fact that there is always a silver lining in very dark clouds... I now enjoy the knowledge of what real tobacco is and will never again smoke Government cigarettes... and don't worry... I am a writer and tend to embellish but be sure that I will not embarrass and will do due diligence and act responsibly despite my previous vent.

I wanted to mention that since my joyous proclamation of having found the perfect recipe for processing tobacco I have found that I was wrong... my taste buds started to change and my lungs felt heavy... my voice even started to change to a very gruff tone... I can see that I have much to learn about the art of tobacco... but learn I will.

I am 56 and since I was 10 I have played guitar... it is truly worthwhile for those of stout heart ( in my estimation)... I believe tobacco to be the same.

I grew up on a Canadian farm with U.S. parents (the best in the world)... we wore our shoes in the house which no other Canadians did... we grew crops which we harvested for seed and cleaned and packaged for sale... I remember once my Dad was cleaning a seed drill and thought he had it done... my Grandpa came along and slammed the top down on the drill which sprinkled 20 or 30 seeds down into the machine... no words were exchanged... and my Dad spent a very long time cleaning and slamming after that... this was practiced throughout the entire operation with the understanding that one seed was too many... I remember spending hours cleaning combines with fire hose, air and pressure sprayers... we made blocks to pull combines up onto in order to be sure water would run one way or the other... there was no imagining that it was clean... it had to be clean... after all... we were selling pure seed... and the health of everyone's farm was at stake.

This is the common sense reality that I grew up in... and I maintain today... I run my life by this ethic as I believe all others should and I find humor in those who don't... eventually they will learn.

Tobacco is a time honored tradition shared among real men... and thus has it ever been... the history is long and proud and has tremendous spiritual roots and meaning... interesting how since money polluted this grand tradition health problems have soared... and also interesting the parallel propaganda... one may be inclined to conclude that the propaganda may be pointed toward the disruption of real men... thereby rendering them balless, speechless, spineless, mindless and inert.... sounds like a pretty good way to slowly take over a country to me.

Lastly... I am glad to know you Don... I can tell you are of good heritage and honest upbringing... it seems there are few of us left... we have a duty I believe to pass this on where ever we can... I salute your honesty and forthright intent and I honor your honesty and integrity.

Although there may have been a modicum of alcohol involved in the result of my rhetoric this evening... rest assured that the light of the day of the morrow will result in the utmost and knife edged conservative and sensible approach to this matter.

I think I'm going to have to make this guy a forum member.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Thanks guys, I think you're right. Here's what I wrote back...
Bob,

This was his reply...

I think I'm going to have to make this guy a forum member.

If you get in touch with him again give him my Email address with an invite to chat.
He sounds like my kind of Dude.

John

wazzappenning

the problem is the province. i called customs to find out how much duty it would cost for 1 pound. the feds want $1.57 a kilo, (i think), but alberta wants 30 cents per gram for any type (cig, pouch, leaf etc). it doesnt make sense to me how the duty is more than the price of pre packaged cigarettes. seems like they want to force us to smoke polonium smokes.

Tom_in_TN

Hey, count me in as saying this guy definitely needs to be a member here, and given some FREE seeds to grow. He still has plenty of time to get started for this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.