Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Chilly bin and heat pad for fermenting?

Keentogrow

Heya everyone.
It's been awhile since I posted but i have had a successful crop for a first timer. And now my baccy has been air cured just after some opinions because the leaf is still quite harsh and not to pleasant atm.

Is it a viable option to use A chilly bin and seedling heat mat to ferment tobacco? I'm unsure on what temperatures those mats get up to.

I'm just looking at this being temporary until I can sort out a fridge and crockpot setup.

ProZachJ

Didn't get warm enough to have much effect for me.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Seedling heat mats raise root temps 10-20F above ambient.

furryfreek

I've had success with a heat mat and a large biscuit tin, lined with paper towels and insulated with old clothes. I pack the tin as densely as possible, with leaves folded and rolled up so they don't totally obstruct convection and moisture flow. The heat mat drives moisture towards the top, so the tin has to be flipped over every day or two to prevent one side dying out too much/long. I put extra padding (paper towels and/or packing paper) at the top and bottom to serve as an additional moisture buffer and put a bit more space between the leaf and heat mat, which can really get quite hot when well insulated. It can process enough leaf to keep up with the demands of two or three people but it's quite a chore.