Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar Mold - traditional and DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moshe Kassirer

Hello everyone. good to be here again...

Im looking for a cigar press mold these days.

I notice that there are new, DIY molds, that look different from the traditional ones.
If the traditional have female and male holes, the DIY have 2 female holes.

Is someone have any experience with this DIY mold? is it work like the traditional one?
(because its much more easy to produce and i'm considering to do one by my self)

I believe that the old mold doesnt design like this for nothing... its a very complicated carpentry.
Is someone know the difference between ths jobs that each one of them doing?

Thank you :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 357

leverhead

..I believe that the old mold doesnt design like this for nothing... its a very complicated carpentry.
Is someone know the difference between ths jobs that each one of them doing?

The offset part line (left picture) is harder to make, but is less likely to pinch the cigar when it is closed. The center part line (right picture) is much easier to make, but requires more care in use.

Moshe Kassirer

Thank you leverhead.
Its makes sense!

So if I have to choose between offset-part-line but of an odd shape like perfecto (a lot of them in eBay)
or to build center-part-line of a straight shape, what will be recommended?
(I have some experience with rolling BTW)

Thank you :)

Raodwarior

just for ease of learning to wrap I would try and find a straight mold not a perfecto. I have seen several of them on ebay in the last few days.

LewZephyr

I did the plastic one. Really makes a difference in my final product. I was using the PVC DIY mold initially, and they worked fine, but I like the round head the mold provides.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
A mold out of wood looks like it would be easy to make with the right drill bit and a press type.drill..using a jig

ChinaVoodoo

Yeah, I was wondering how you would cut the board in half without a fancy saw, but then I realized you could just clamp two boards together then drill along the line

Gdaddy

The advantage of the proper mold, either wood or plastic is that the tobacco doesn't spill out and pinch the cigar. The professional molds (like WLT sells) the male side of the mold tucks in the tobacco much better with a precision fit. Well worth the small investment if you're looking for perfectly shaped cigars.

charlie G.

I agree the WLT molds are great professional molds well worth the investment. I would recommend a wood mold which helps draw some moisture out of the cigar before applying the finish wrapper. That's what I have found.

ArizonaDave

I agree the WLT molds are great professional molds well worth the investment. I would recommend a wood mold which helps draw some moisture out of the cigar before applying the finish wrapper. That's what I have found.

Now that's a statement to set in stone!

Most others out there are "forms" and don't have the precisely machined side tucks that WLT Molds Have!

Moshe Kassirer

Are you going with wood or plastic? Let us know how it works out for you.

As I know the mold doing two things. its pressing the cigar for better performance and drying out the moisture.
So i'll prefer the wood one, as in the old days.
Even though i saw that big-names-companies already using the plastic ones.

Moshe Kassirer

quick update,

I got a mold-press from WLT (and a chaveta).
What can I say guys, I feel that I just jumped from the amature class into the professional class.

Anyone who want his cigar to be dense, solid and a good round shape in the tip, should have one of this mold...

(Before, I use to roll the cigar into a brown heavy paper)

IMG_9002.jpg

charlie G.

Those even look professional. Great job. And glad your happy with the mold. I have found anything Don sells is quality.
I look forward to you posting more of your hand rolled cigars and your blends. It will be interesting to see your blends being from the other side of the globe.
I wonder if the foods and drinks we are use to affect our taste of the blends we put together.
Enjoy your new hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.