Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Dgbama 2014 grow blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

Realizing I pick much smaller leaves when harvesting orientals, I took note of some nice tops on the Havana and silver river. 4-8 leaves of 8-14" each. Went ahead and brought them in, first hard freeze coming tonight. 34 plants worth.

Worst case, they dry green and I wasted 45 minutes of my time. Best case, I get an extra pound or two of good baccy.
14148685446632.jpg

DGBAMA

The new house plants. Don't expect much, but hoping having something growing will be good for the mental drag that winter brings :)14149518169340.jpg

Bex

Very lush!! :) You must have an incredibly sensitive touch - there is no way I could get only 3 of these teeny weeny seeds into a pot. Do you use something special to plant them? I normally end up with loads more plants per pot than I originally intended....

DGBAMA

Very lush!! :) You must have an incredibly sensitive touch - there is no way I could get only 3 of these teeny weeny seeds into a pot. Do you use something special to plant them? I normally end up with loads more plants per pot than I originally intended....

These are from my germination test of this year's seed a few pages back. A small cluster. At about 1cm tall, they are pretty easy to handle, separate and and plant individually.

Bex

Realizing I pick much smaller leaves when harvesting orientals, I took note of some nice tops on the Havana and silver river. 4-8 leaves of 8-14" each. Went ahead and brought them in, first hard freeze coming tonight. 34 plants worth.

Worst case, they dry green and I wasted 45 minutes of my time. Best case, I get an extra pound or two of good baccy.
View attachment 13450

How are you curing these?? I ask because much of my leaf looks like this when I pick it (as in green/pale green) and I have one heck of a time getting it to yellow. Just curious.....

DGBAMA

How are you curing these?? I ask because much of my leaf looks like this when I pick it (as in green/pale green) and I have one heck of a time getting it to yellow. Just curious.....

I just hung them in the chamber with the rest of my late harvest, the artificial air cure. Temp 95 and rh between 70 & 90.

DGBAMA

Bex,
Variety plays a big role in yellowing. With your difficult conditions, you may want to consider different varieties for next year.

Example, those tops are silver river, and Lonnie's Havanah. At the one week mark, the Silver is looking great, and the Havana has barely changed.
14154761240160.jpg

Bex

Bex,
Variety plays a big role in yellowing. With your difficult conditions, you may want to consider different varieties for next year.

I was thinking along those lines, as well. I have no idea what I'm growing, and certainly wasn't aware of all the different varieties of tobacco until I cam to the forum. It would be nice to find a fast growing, fast yellowing tobacco that is a good, full flavored, stand alone smoke. Any suggestions?
Maybe I'm growing Havana - that rack of leaf looks pretty much like mine, especially the one on the right that has tinges of brown.....:(

Knucklehead

Founding Member
It would be nice to find a fast growing, fast yellowing tobacco that is a good, full flavored, stand alone smoke. Any suggestions?

Skychaser sent me a sample of some air cured Costello Negro (a flue cure variety) that was the best stand alone smoke I've tried so far. He sells the seed here: http://northwoodseeds.com/

It tasted like a flue cure/oriental blend.

ArizonaDave

Bex

I must confess a spiritual weakness. I have great difficulty 'thinning' out seedlings (hence my overstuffed tunnel with too many plants). A seedling that is not as strong as its neighbor...is this not the equivalent to the runt of the litter, drowning the smallest kitten, stomping on the poor underdog? Did you not hear the screams of that little plantlet, as you tore it up from the ground - its cries as it begged you for its life? Sadly, strangely, my feeble mind actually works this way. Scary.....:(

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Ha! Wait till you see what I'm going to do with all the seedlings from my massive germination test of this year's seed! Die, MF's, die!!! ROFL. The mass murder of around 3500 seedlings.

Bex

Ha! Wait till you see what I'm going to do with all the seedlings from my massive germination test of this year's seed! Die, MF's, die!!! ROFL. The mass murder of around 3500 seedlings.

I can hear the cries for help, all the way over here. Horribly distressing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.