Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Flue Cured process

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
John,
"Harsh" means different things to different people. Flue-cured tobacco in a pipe or cigar bites the tongue because of the low pH. Harshness can be due to less than optimal harvesting time, inadequate or improper curing, inherently strong tobacco variety, odd alkaloid mixture. Heaven knows what else.

I would say that the most common "too harsh" complaint is the result of impatience: not allowing the leaf to age enough, or rest after coming out of the kiln. I would guess that commercially prepared and purchased flue-cured would narrow the possibilities down to pH and inherent strength.

Bob
Got it. Thanks

John

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
some very good info, being tossed around in here,

Steve2md

Digging it. I may have to prep my ranch up north for some baccy patches and barns...you think 1500 acres is enough? lol

SmokeStack

Talk to Don or Larry about obtaining some whole leaf Perique (Perique processed). It's like getting a new and effective chemical for your chemistry set. You take out a soggy leaf or two of Perique, allow it to dry, then cut it into 0.5" x 6" strips. Add 1 strip to any tobacco, and it dramatically changes the pH [lowers the acidity = raises the pH]. You (John) will find that harsh Virginia flue-cured leaf (by that, I mean the kind that rips your tongue) becomes heavenly. Add too much Perique, and it will knock you on your butt (because of the increased nicotine absorption at the higher pH).

Bob

Maybe that's why I have only seen pipe tobacco blends that are Virgina/Perique and none that are Burley/Perique. I'm going to give that a try and see if my flue-cured Bright Leaf smokes better.

Steve2md

I'd need lots of cash to get that project going. Like drilling a well, and removing an ungodly amount of rock....

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I'd need lots of cash to get that project going. Like drilling a well, and removing an ungodly amount of rock....

you could do it. like our anscestors did,????

a bunch of mules, and some rope,

SmokeStack

Haha. If it wasn't a 4 hour drive from home to get there, I'd actually consider it.

I bet you can grow some really good Orientals in your area (I assume Arizona). From what I understand, Orientals like hot and arid climates.

SmokeStack

I have been to Arizona once - it's a beautiful state. I know that the climate in Arizona can be very different depending on where you live. I drove from the Hoover Dam to the Grand Canyon. Near the Hoover Dam - it is very hot and dry desert. But getting closer to the Grand Canyon - it was not as hot and there was much more vegetation.

Steve2md

yep. I live at 1237' above sea level here in Gilbert. always dry. My folks are at 7000' in Flagstaff, still very low RH all the time, but they get much more rain and have pine trees. I'm gonna bail and head north as soon as my wife's grandmother passes. She's the only thing keeping my wife here in the heat.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I had to make a business trip to the U of AZ in July some years back. Two days in AZ was about all I could handle. On the other hand the food was out of sight!

J

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i dont think i could live there,

that type of heat would kill me,

but then again i am a C.D.L. driver, so no matter where, im at at work, it's a cool 68 degrees,

Ishi

I will take 110 dry heat over 80 in the south, as long as i can stay in the shade out of the sun.
Dan

Steve2md

ugh, I am so done with the heat. I miss my time in the army in north carolina. 95 was rare, humidity was up, trees, just an hour or two to the beach..

Status
Not open for further replies.