Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Free Pipe Tobacco-Volunteers needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Fellow Pipemen, Almost all pipe smokers believe that the only "real" Perique is made in St James Parish (Louisianna USA). If it is made anywhere else it is not authentic nor does it taste the same. There are many people that swear they can taste "real" Perique as compared to a generic.

I would like to conduct a little experiment to determine if this belief is true or not.

To the first 12 people that PM me their names and addresses I will send you several samples to try. All samples will be an identical mixture of Virginia Brightleaf and Perique. The only difference between the samples will be that each sample will contain a Perique from a different manufacturer.

Specifics (so far):

I have Perique from 4 different manufacturers with 2 more on the way.
As a minimum you will receive 4 samples. Each sample will contain approximately 8g of VaPar. This should be enough to allow you to smoke a minimum of 3 bowls of each sample. At least one of the samples will contain St James Parish Perique.

This will be a blinded test. I will send the samples marked as "A", "B" etc.

I will include a checklist with a few questions you will need to answer. Basically I will be looking for you to tell me which one was the best tasting and/or which one do you believe has St James Perique in it. If they all taste the same to you, that's fine too.

I will also want you to smoke all of these within 2 weeks from receiving them.

I will close out this offer in 1 week (30 April 2014).

I am not sure about sending these samples overseas but if some of you non USA folks want to try let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Already on the list of volunteers is: Desertpipe, Deluxestogie, DonH and Knucklehead.

I plan to start sending samples out on or about 05 May 2014.

Once testing is complete I will reveal the manufacturers of each sample, the % of Perique used and the final results

More details to follow once I see how much interest there is.

Randy B

Desertpipe

Jitter,
Sounds like great fun, and will be most interesting to see what the outcome of this blind test will be.....and may well rewrite my mental picture of Perique.
Desert

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Keep in mind, especially for you that typically smoke commercial pipe tobacco that this will have no sugars, moisturizers, or anti microbials added. It will just be pure tobacco.

I have 10 volunteers.... 2 spots left

jojjas

I would love to try this baccy of yours , but maybe i am not capable to notice the different betwen them .
Anyway , i am very courius of the outcome of this test, and i most certinly follow this thread with great interest

Mikael

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Well, I have 12 volunteers so I can't take anymore. If you really, REALLY want to try this send me you name and I'll put you on a reserve list. If I have enough tobacco left over I'll send it to the people on the reserve list.

DGBAMA

Can't wait to see the results. Hopefully one of the "manufacturers" is a home grower, just for comparison.

webmost

Bring it on. I'll break in a clay pipe for this very test.

No shipping necessary.
You know how to give me a call.

Dang, that sky is beautiful today, innit?

BriarRabbit

Crap. I sent a PM Jitterbugdude before I read the rest of the thread and found out that you already have 12 :(
Please put me on the reserve list. VaPar's are my favorite. I'm very interested in seeing the results!! Perhaps for no other reason than saving me $$ from buying Samuel Gawith's SJF.

holyRYO

Get'n ready to get my perique on :cool:

Samples arrived, can smell it thru the baggies. :)

Upon inspection, will need some drying... can't dive right in yet. :(

Made up my own Vaper. Perique, from C&D or McClelland, can't remember which, and WLT Bright. For getting my palate adjusted before tasting the samples.

Thank you Jitterbug, this is going to be fun... certainly challenging!

Brown Thumb

Any chance of a bowl or two left, I would like to give it a try also.
BT

quo155

I too received the packet, thank you Randy!

First, this is my very first time to smoke all-natural tobacco (without any sugars, etc.). I have tons of pipe tobacco that I love...but this is very interesting already. The tastes and aromas are beautiful...at least for this first bowl.

I am smoking "A" tonight...

My notes will be shared once I've completed all of them.

Again, thank you Randy for this great opportunity!

-Tommy

quo155

Yes Bob...of course! My actual notes will only be shared via PM. I was just noting that I had received them and had begun the process!

Hopefully my earlier post did not add any confusion! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.