Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Greetings from Luxembourg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubert

Hi,

I am a first time grower - just sown cowboy lite and a Havana smooth variety.

Ex smoker but consume nasal snuff - if anyone can recommend a good snuff variety do let me know.

Looking forward to see what nature brings along and sharing the experiences that follow.

Best.
Ubert..........

Boboro

Wellcome to the forum. I think someones pullin your leg on them tobacco names. That dont mean its not good tobacco though. Or we could be gettin crossed up in translation.

rainmax

Founding Member
Hi Ubert. I'm from Slovenia and also use snus (snuff?) for sometime. Don't know if those two things are same but I heard a lot that for this is the best Black Mammoth which I'm gonna grow this year. It's quite strong tobacco with lot of nicotine.
BTW: try to edit your profile and add your location. It's helpful for other to solve your questions easily.

Ubert

Hi Maks,

Thanks for the reply. Thanks for the tip on Black Mammoth. Is there a place where I can get seed for this variety? Regarding snuff and snus although the words are related, in UK English, snuff is taken via the nose. I am not sure if it's the same for American English.

Good luck with your crop!

Ubert

Ubert

Hi Boboro,

Thanks for the reply - yeah that's what I thought about them names when I wrote the post so I checked again - the correct names are Cowboy Kite 1065 and the other is just called Smooth Chewing Tobacco 1067; they came from robsrareandgiantseeds.com....Sorry moderators - if I am not allowed to post website names feel free to delete.

We shall see how things go - this is my first time out with tobacco so we shall see how it goes. From what I have read so far, growing sounds like the easy part.

Best.

Ubert

rainmax

Founding Member
Hi Maks,

.... Black Mammoth. Is there a place where I can get seed for this variety?

Ubert

I still have about 100 seeds, if that is enough write me on PM (klick on my username and choose Private message) and send me shipping address. I can also add some other variety.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
TheTobaccoSeed Co. out of the Uk carries Black Mammoth. They have two websites, one for Uk, the other apparently for the Americas. Welcome to the forum. Check out the Tobacco Growers FAQ at the top of the page. Always a good place to start.

www.tobaccoseed.co.uk

Ubert

Hi squeezyjohn,

Thanks for the tip - I will definitely give BM a go.
Are you using this variety for snuff or for other purposes?

squeezyjohn

Just to confuse the issue further :confused: - I'm using mine for snus (moist snuff for the mouth Swedish style) or twist chewing tobacco.

I've heard it's very good for snuff - it has a good aroma and is fairly strong in nicotine - I found it was quite easy to colour cure in my greenhouse. However it's not the biggest yielding plant - mine were only 4 foot high and I understand that's quite normal as the seeds from the address above are for short stalk black mammoth. The leaves are very big though.

Ubert

@squeezyjohn - thanks for the info. Are you steam treating for snus or doing a long bake with water in the final prep?

squeezyjohn

@squeezyjohn - thanks for the info. Are you steam treating for snus or doing a long bake with water in the final prep?

I don't have access to the kind of machinery that commercial makers use for steam-treating so I have a Weck boiler/canner I use as a hot water-bath to keep the temperature at 70-80ºC for 3-5 days. I am still refining my methods for making snus but it's the only way I can legally access this form of oral tobacco which is 98% safer than smoking cigarettes despite the ridiculous European Union law banning it's sale!

Ubert

Thanks again for the info - I may hit you up for more info later in the season.

Cheers.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I am still refining my methods for making snus but it's the only way I can legally access this form of oral tobacco which is 98% safer than smoking cigarettes despite the ridiculous European Union law banning it's sale!

The sale of snus is outlawed in the EU but are there any laws or regulations that say you cannot make it yourself and use it publicly?

Ubert

The sale of snus is outlawed in the EU but are there any laws or regulations that say you cannot make it yourself and use it publicly?

Good question - I would doubt it though, I think some Swedish firms are selling kits to get around the ban on selling it to other EU countries so it would seem like you can produce it at home. I could add water to my dry snuff and process it myself (if it needs it at all).........it would be a tough one to call.
It's a ridiculous ban anyway, I can walk in to a tobacconist in Germany and buy chewing tobacco like Oliver Twist for example but you can't buy Swedish snus.

Status
Not open for further replies.