Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Grgfinney grow 2015 (3rd year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grgfinney

The hardest part of the season is trying to decide what you are going to grow,I have narrowed it down to 20 varieties this year some good producers from last year some new and some grow outs to refresh the seed bank,Mi burley, Jupiter Burley,Prilep 66/97,Ottoman, Bamboo Shoot, Hickory Pryor, Costello Negro, Tobacco Negro, Ancient Rustica, Yellow Orinoco, Gold Star, Amarelao, A56n,MD609,Big Gem,Kutsaga110, Round Tip, Amarellinho,Canik and Black Sea Samson.I won't be starting seed till the end of march as i am moving to grow zone 4

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
id start them now.....

that way when your summer comes, they will be 5'' tall and ready to rock-and-roll..

..im having issues with my costello negro.. not much sproutage in that pot,

and my '' brown and williams low nicotene '' isnt doing good at all...

. i may have to have you send me some of that..BAMBOO SHOOT..BLACK SEA SAMPSON

i really should be in the bed.. i got a early day tomorrow, the quicker i start the quicker its over..i gotta go up in georgia to get a tanker trailer... then go on the left side of florida to fill it,,, then go on the right side of the state to drop it.

be cool my brother...stay warm.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Really? now? Up here, May 18 is the magic date for planting. Victoria Day. How big might they be by then?

There's a big difference in planting dates between Florida and Canada. I'm in Alabama and will be seeding Feb. 20 with a target planting date of April 20. Start seed indoors 6-8 weeks before planting date. I leave my seedlings in the starter trays to keep from transplanting into larger pots. The plants will catch up in no time. Deluxestogie did an experiment comparing seedlings that were left in the starting trays and given "haircuts", to seedlings that were transplanted into larger pots. The seedlings that were transplanted to larger pots were indeed larger at planting time, but the seedlings in the starter trays caught up to the other seedlings in a few weeks in the field. There was no noticeable difference after a few weeks. It's just more work and cost for no appreciable return to transplant into larger pots before planting in the field.

Last edited:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
In the past my planting date has been April 1st..

Depending on where old man winter is...at that time

grgfinney

Moving to gods country this week (northern michigan )probably going to start my seed this weekend.I have a new piece of ground to play in but none of that good southern mi black dirt,so i will try something new I plan on drilling about 300 12in holes and filling them with turkey litter and cow poo and compost

POGreen

Good luck on your grow too greg ,its going to be most interesting to follow your grow and see some amazing pictures.

Brown Thumb

Good start Greg. I hope you did not loose too much sleep over them.:cool:
Have fun thinning.
BT

grgfinney

Got a bunch thinned out this weekend I guess I should end up with about 450 plants this year I'm doing blocks of 18 in my patch again this year again it was easy to keep track of what is what that way

Brown Thumb

There looking Good.
I hope you dident transport them big logs in the Honda Also.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.