Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Grin updates!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALaholic

Hey Jessica, I sent you a PM, but didn't get a response. Perhaps you can answer it here:

Hey Jessica,

I have a question in regards to Observations. I noticed that when looking at strains that contain actual names and not just PI numbers, there is no record of nicotine content. Yet for strains that only contain PI numbers, there is detailed observation.

Curious to know why that is.

Thank you,

FALaholic

Hey Jessica, I sent you a PM, but didn't get a response. Perhaps you can answer it here:

Hey Jessica,

I have a question in regards to Observations. I noticed that when looking at strains that contain actual names and not just PI numbers, there is no record of nicotine content. Yet for strains that only contain PI numbers, there is detailed observation.

Thank you,

Sry, forgot to say please :) .

NRustica

That would depend on the person doing the research of those particular varieties. If no researcher did a study which included nicotine content then that wouldn't be listed.

JessicaNicot

Hey Jessica,

Thank you,

I saw your message and was going to look into it, but things slip through the cracks sometimes. I believe that what you see is the nicotine data primarily associated with the TI collection. much about these lines was unknown, as they were primitive and unadapted for the US (possibly uncultivated in some cases), so an effort was made to characterize them in the late 70s/early 80s. if there was ever a similar study done with the cultivars (TC#s, listed in GRIN generally by their names), the data was never published on GRIN and its probably lost in an old filing cabinet or been trashed. its worth noting that the collection had been housed in two locations at the same time (Beltsville, MD and Oxford, NC), with different subgroups at each location, but then some material was duplicated in both locations as well, so not everything was available for any given study being conducted by the curatorial staff.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i think its very cool what you do there, for the public<

FALaholic

I saw your message and was going to look into it, but things slip through the cracks sometimes. I believe that what you see is the nicotine data primarily associated with the TI collection. much about these lines was unknown, as they were primitive and unadapted for the US (possibly uncultivated in some cases), so an effort was made to characterize them in the late 70s/early 80s. if there was ever a similar study done with the cultivars (TC#s, listed in GRIN generally by their names), the data was never published on GRIN and its probably lost in an old filing cabinet or been trashed. its worth noting that the collection had been housed in two locations at the same time (Beltsville, MD and Oxford, NC), with different subgroups at each location, but then some material was duplicated in both locations as well, so not everything was available for any given study being conducted by the curatorial staff.

Many thanks Jessica.

JessicaNicot

It's a real treat to see quiet competence in action.

Well done, Jessica!

the real miracle workers are the folks in Beltsville (MD) building these new database tools and teaching us (the curators) how to use them. im just trying to be a good steward of the information and listening to the folks like you guys that use it so that I can try to make it better.

workhorse_01

I Knew when you first posted that you were going to be a monumental addition to this site. We really do appreciate you!
the real miracle workers are the folks in Beltsville (MD) building these new database tools and teaching us (the curators) how to use them. im just trying to be a good steward of the information and listening to the folks like you guys that use it so that I can try to make it better.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Yep and you're doing a hell of a job. Thank you from all of us.

John

JessicaNicot

when you search the new GRIN Global and click on an accession link, this is how that page will now appear:

accession page.jpg

as you can see, its a lot prettier and full of all sorts of information. what I like is that they have done away with the old annoying "observations" link and instead have a scrollable table displaying the observations right on the page, eliminating the need to navigate to another webpage.

you can see there is an "add to favorites" button. users will be able to set up accounts and, in addition to ordering accessions, you can set up a list of favorites. for those of you who like to have access to information on the accessions you are growing or have grown in the past, this will be a really nice way of bookmarking the information so you don't have to keep re-searching for it over and over in GRIN.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That's a lot better. Good job! The "add to favorites" will be a welcome addition. clap.gif

JessicaNicot

Unfortunately, a laterally scrolling table on a web page can't be printed.

Bob

ah, but if you click the little link above the scrolling table that says "detailed accession observation page", there is a very printer friendly vertical table of the same info.

Are they really going to show the pedigree?;)

they already show some pedigree info, its just whether that information is available. I've been working on compiling some of that info, but its very hard to find and primarily only exists for modern cultivars. but by all means, if anyone has or comes across any such info, please pass it along and i'll add it.

Status
Not open for further replies.