Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Heads Up: Canadian Budget targets Unprocessed Tobacco Leaves

Havok

For those of us that don’t have “royal assent” marked on our calendars… when abouts is that now?

Can you share your source for that? It says that there is currently no limit… I thought there was a limit?

SteveAlberta

For those of us that don’t have “royal assent” marked on our calendars… when abouts is that now?

Can you share your source for that? It says that there is currently no limit… I thought there was a limit?
Here is the link to the 2024 Budget, search for "Raw Leaf" and you'll find it easy.

I'm in Alberta, and I order 20 pounds of leaves twice a year and have never had any issues, although all provinces are not created equal, so your mileage may vary.

As for when the budget will get Royal Assent, well I don't know when that will be off the top of my head, but you can guarantee they aren't going to drag their heels when there's money to be stolen.

Havok

Thanks for sharing that.

I’m also in Alberta… I must have been reading something that applied to a different province.

Gonna have to stock up I suppose.

pottsS

That is just wow! Guess I'd better order soon. As for you folks in BC...do you have any friends in Alberta or SK? Do they have a mailing address?

Waylon

Just looked at the new Canadian budget that was released today, and they are implementing a limit on the importation of unprocessed tobacco leaves of 2500 grams (5 pounds) per person per year. Considering I buy about 20 pounds every 6 months, this is going to hurt!
View attachment 50639
Does Canada have any laws about growing tobacco, yet?

ChinaVoodoo

Does Canada have any laws about growing tobacco, yet?
We can grow an unlimited amount of tobacco on land we directly occupy, and cure a maximum of 15kg per year per person in the household over the age of 18. Further to that, it needs to be stored as whole leaf in Alberta because there is a possession limit of 1kg of processed tobacco.

ChinaVoodoo

Hi folks,

As a forum moderator from Alberta, I thought I should step in with some clarification. FTT has enforced a no politics policy for quite some years. I think there has been a bit of leniency regarding Canadian politics because Canadians have historically come across differently when they're mad. Also, maybe the American moderators don't necessarily see as clearly the hazy line between commenting on tax policies, and griping about the Canadian government. I personally feel frustrated and secretly agree about many things that have been alluded to, recently. As a tobacco grower from Alberta, I imagine you can guess where I stand. I'll leave it at that.

So please tread carefully. Details of taxes and proposed laws, yes. Complaining about parties, please no.

treecutter

We can grow an unlimited amount of tobacco on land we directly occupy, and cure a maximum of 15kg per year per person in the household over the age of 18. Further to that, it needs to be stored as whole leaf in Alberta because there is a possession limit of 1kg of processed tobacco.
So what if, let us say, an individual has a tobacco cellar with 100, 50 gram tins of various tobaccos, this would then be considered illegal?

ChinaVoodoo

So what if, let us say, an individual has a tobacco cellar with 100, 50 gram tins of various tobaccos, this would then be considered illegal?
Yeah. The law includes tobacco that has tax stickers on it. I assume that the law only exists in order to seize contraband cigarettes without proving that the individual is actually selling. Most people with tobacco cellars or larger humidors wouldn't need to fear anything, but I think home growers are at a bit more risk of being investigated, so I think it's worth mentioning.