Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hi from Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rose

Hubby and I viewed the kulu...that is simply beautiful. Plus the safer for fingers is always a plus :) at least with me in the kitchen. We do like the notion of using less electricity/the green thing/so thank you very much.

rose

The possibilities keep expanding...it occurred to us we could make our own cigars and see you have quite a treasure trove of info on that too~

DGBAMA

I just ordered the powermatic :)
The pasta maker I have is from Italy and is good but the motor I bought was cheap and stripped in one use. Has plastic gears. Some say to use dry leaf and I used medium case ones. If to wet they wont shear correctly .... if to dry they wont pull into machine. You can use a dremel and score the rollers and they grab better.
Knuclehead was kind enough to bring his to our visit Saturday. You will not be disappointed. I also ordered one the next morning. It is a machine. From all the videos I have watched trying to decide I still expected a fluffed up version of a paper shredder. It IS NOT! Heavy and solid. It is kinda noisy, I imagine it uses straight cut gears instead of helical.

DGBAMA

Rose, If you will be breaking new ground, not using an existing garden space, I would recommend doing the initial ground breaking/tilling in the fall and testing/having a soil test done. Natural fertilizers generally take longer to effect the soil, so any major amendment that might be needed could be done and rechecked in the spring. It would also give the opportunity to plant a winter cover crop of Crimson Clover, which adds natural nitrogen to the soil (good for tobacco) and just gets tilled under in the spring.

Welcome!

Fisherman

Miss Rose,
You pretty well missed the growing season here in the USA but there is so much to learn about blending and all that your winter will be over before you realize it :)
Even if you grow most of your own there is always that weird or select one that they offer here that gets your lips to smackin... heh heh
I did get a pipe. a churchwarden, but have only used it when I want to stick it to the man by not using a taxed paper tube. :)

rose

Not breaking new ground so to speak. The area was once a tribble yard (guinea pigs/tribbles from the old star trek episode trouble with tribbles if anyone recalls) and rabbits. They have all long since been moved to a larger area. The soil is so rich opportunistic plants thrive each year. Hubby has friends who are organic growers (produce) teaching him the ins and outs of soil building so I'll pass this info along.

There are so many soil testers to chose from, can you recommend a good inexpensive one? We are aware that greens add nitrogen to the soil and do that as a matter of course. We don't till bc we love our earthworms (in abundance here) but certainly can do deep digging. We are also doing some raised beds.

We are also looking into adding zeolite to the soil bc it is reported to enhance plant growth and maintain hydration longer (a plus in summer). Have to make sure there is enough nitrogen in the soil or initially the zeolite will compete for the nitrogen but even then it eventually balances out so maybe now is a good time to add the zeolite. Growers and dairy farmers in Hawaii first hit with Fukushima hot rains started using zeo to mitigate the damage. I need to track some of them down and see just how they did it, how much etc. Monitoring 'hot' rain in our area not a huge issue yet/but once in awhile it is a concern. Fuku is just getting started so to speak and we take the radiation issue seriously. Not preaching by any means/just giving an idea of where we are at. I do realize not everyone is as concerned as we are/but we are not alone either.

rose

Miss Rose,
You pretty well missed the growing season here in the USA but there is so much to learn about blending and all that your winter will be over before you realize it :)
Even if you grow most of your own there is always that weird or select one that they offer here that gets your lips to smackin... heh heh
I did get a pipe. a churchwarden, but have only used it when I want to stick it to the man by not using a taxed paper tube. :)

Oh, definitely looking forward to not only growing our own but enjoying others offerings. The potential to do our own blends is really quite thrilling to put it mildly. Each grower will have a unique quality and variety is the spice of life right?

Churchwardens ROCK...such a cooling smoke :cool:

Fisherman

Not sure how radiation works but when it is 100 deg F outside and you stand in the sun . it feels like you are in a microwave..... But the same sun on an 80 deg F day is bearable????????

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
There are so many soil testers to chose from, can you recommend a good inexpensive one? .

I like "High Brix Gardens" if you google them you should be able to find a link to there soil test lab along with articles on proper soil testing.

Here it is: http://www.highbrixgardens.com/

Scroll down and look under "Resources"

Last edited:

johnlee1933

Founding Member
There are so many soil testers to chose from, can you recommend a good inexpensive one? We are aware that greens add nitrogen to the soil and do that as a matter of course. We don't till bc we love our earthworms (in abundance here) but certainly can do deep digging. We are also doing some raised beds..
Here in Connecticut the state AG will do one test a year free. Just bag your sample and send it to them plus what you are trying to grow. Maybe Maryland has a similar service?

John

rose

Thanks guys...I meant one of the test at home things. We need to test for a variety of things we'll be growing (produce) and the garden area is several areas. My former neighbor had a test tube kit. I've looked at several for sale and wondered if they are all the same. We know some organic farmers so we'll ck with them/just thought someone here might have a fav. Don't know if Ar has the free test per year thing.

I'm familiar with Brix...do any of you test brix on tobacco? I hope it's not that complicated *grin*.

NRustica

Not breaking new ground so to speak. The area was once a tribble yard (guinea pigs/tribbles from the old star trek episode trouble with tribbles if anyone recalls) and rabbits. They have all long since been moved to a larger area. The soil is so rich opportunistic plants thrive each year. Hubby has friends who are organic growers (produce) teaching him the ins and outs of soil building so I'll pass this info along.

You raise rabbits? So do I! I have NZW, American Chinchillas and American Blues (and I'm getting an AmWhite next weekend). Rabbit poop is awesome fertilizer. I add it half and half to the soil in my pots.

rose

Not raise rabbits per se/we are a registered humane society homing special needs animals, but we also take in unwanted as space permits. Ppl get rabbits at easter, little bunnies are so cute/then the novelty wears off. Sometimes we get adults that started out as house 'pets'. One of the first things we do is put them into a large enclosed yard within the huge bird yard (ducks, chickens, geese, peacock and peahen, Poco the pigeon and few others). We have quite a family. This summer I bought 23 muscovy ducks that were on the fast track for a Chinese restaurant/I just love muscovy /they are so damn cool.

With the rabbits I separated the males from females but they are creative to say the least and can tunnel overnight even with perimeter underground blockade, so occasionally we had litters. Then I screwed up and put a lion-head female in with males/I'm not the best at sexing *blush*. Before I knew it baby bunnies/and the cutest damn things/the lion head with her pointy ears and shaggy fur mixed with regular bunnies/we call them Fraggles. They dug tunnels so deep and extensive I have to walk very carefully in the bird coup. I truly know the meaning of how deep the rabbit hole goes :) I kept threatening to collapse the tunnels and 'take control' but could just never do it. Boy bunnies are excellent dads/raising the young is truly a family affair. One day as I was sitting in the bird/bunny yard I recalled something I read in J.Allen Boone's book, it was either Kinship With All Life or Letters to Strongheart (love all his books) about animals left to their own will regulate the population. We have seen that with feral cat colonies we have nurtured in the nearby town until development took over. But with bunnies I had this fear that soon we would have thousands...nothing like panic to get ya going eh? As I sat there I thought why should this be any different/and they are all having so much damn fun/so I scrapped my control plans and just let things be. That was over a year ago/don't have thousands/they regulate themselves. Poco the pigeon took up with the original lion-head female and sleeps with her at night/cept not recently so I think she might have babies in one of the dens. There's no way to collect their poop now unless I caught one for a week and caged/which I might do bc in a week they certainly poop a lot.

We also have plenty of manure from the pygmy goats and Fred the donkey. Not sure if our pot belly pig poop would work/but plan to check on that.

What do you do with your rabbits? When we get a bunny that has never touched ground it's so cool to see them hop at will. At first they don't know what to do and sit spellbound. I recall a few times a newly sprung would hop the perimeter of the yard and circle back to right in front of me and stare as if to say thanks...then hop off to a new way of movement. Sometimes on first land exposure they do this high thing in the air like half flips/pretty cool to watch. Can't tell you how many times we've received a bunny that ppl said oh he/she just loves to be held and um, nope. Once given the choice they really don't want to/at least not here. But on bunny rescue forums some of the bunnies do seem totally acclimated to living in the house/some amazing stories. One story that sat with me, 2 house bunnies/one was very elderly and almost blind. It was NE cold winter and the lady turned down the thermostat before leaving for work. When she came home the thermostat was always up and she could figure out how. A video camera gave the answer. The younger bunny maneuvered a way to reach the thermostat and turned it up, then would position the elderly bunny near the heat grate. The saying dumb bunny does not apply.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
We used to raise rabbits and grew Red Wiggler worms under the cages. The price of a box of worms keeps going up, and the number of worms in the box keeps going down. They must cost 10 cents apiece now. Highway robbery.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
What didya do with all them wabbits.

Way to get me in trouble with the nature lover, lol. We dressed them and sold them to restaurants. We had a big barn full of them. We sold the worms to bait stores. At the time we sold a full box of worms for a dollar. Now worms around here are three dollars a box and you're lucky if there's 25-30 worms in there.

rose

Actually I have great respect for meat folks who humanely raise and slaughter/hunt too.

Please don't get me started on factory farming :(

There's enough space on this planet for different strokes...

Just sayin~

Status
Not open for further replies.