Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

HMCE and U.K. Growers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Propsjonnyb

Worcester, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
I just wanted to ask all the U.K. growers how many have applied to HMCE to join the RTAS program since it was introduced in 2017 and how many have been approved to date ? Since the legislation is quite clear , if you intend to use your own tobacco to either roll you own cigarettes, roll cigars , make snuff, or pipe tobacco , you must have an RTAS license and you are required to pay duty on the finished product. If you are not licensed severe penalties are imposed depending on the level of offence committed , all stock can be seized and destroyed and some may even get custodial sentences.
It seems to me as if they “the powers that may be” are trying make it impossible to do anything anymore .

Propsjonnyb

Ok I’ve been ploughing through all the legislation , there is a small exclusion clause I will copy it here in full

4.2 Purchasing tobacco stalks and stems
A person who carries on any activity with tobacco stalks or stems will be exempt from approval. However this is on condition that:

• no more than 2.5kg is received in a single delivery
  • over a 12 month period the amount held does not exceed 20kg
If you think that your activity will not meet these conditions then you must apply for approval.

So if the product is classified as ‘stalks and stems” and is shipped in a single delivery consignment less that 2.5 kg, you do not need a license as long as the total weight of a yearly shipment to a single address is less than 20kg.

By this ’calculation‘ all the tobacco kits would fit (ensuring the shipping weight is less than 2.5 kg ) and identified as ‘tabacco stalks and stems’ on the customs declaration .
i would be willing to test this out to see if it works .

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tobacco kits are distinctly not stalks and stems. Stalks and stems are used for manufacture of insecticides and as chemical precursors.

Bob

burge

5 1/2 pounds of stalks and stems could happen on scrap tobacco.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I just wanted to ask all the U.K. growers how many have applied to HMCE to join the RTAS program since it was introduced in 2017 and how many have been approved to date ?

I am not in the UK but if I were I'd never respond to that question. You never know when Big Brother is looking to make an example out of someone.

Propsjonnyb

“the Nanny State”is already here alive and well and positively thriving! , they have you both ways , grow your own and the second you turn your leaf into any form of tobacco product the excise duty becomes payable and you must pay - don’t pay then you pay fines + duty payable , plus crop and/or store seized and destroyed and in extreme inprisionment, import leaf and customs hold the goods , duty must be paid before it’s delivered and then you have to pay further duty once you make your cigars for your own consumption , so taking a tobacco kit as an example I would have to pay appx $ 1000 before I could smoke one . Yes, I can still buy cigars , but here the duty is included in the cost at point of purchase so it makes them expensive , import a cigar and duty must be paid on weight

Status
Not open for further replies.