Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How many plants to a pound of ready to smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I will be growing Burley and Virginia this coming season and will be blending it with Turkish leaves I'll buy from Don at www.WholeLeafTobacco.com. I just switched to MYO and I've been ordering ready to roll tobacco. I use about a pound a month in cigarettes. How many plants of the Burley and Virginia will I need to grow to have about 12-15 pounds of shredded tobacco?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Tobacco Growing FAQ from FTT
"5. How many plants should I grow?

Depending on the variety, you can expect 100 to 200 cigarettes per plant; 6 to 12 corona-size cigars per plant; 2 to 5 ounces of pipe tobacco per plant. Most tobacco requires about 3.75 sq. ft. in a deeply dug bed. In traditional row planting, it is spaced 3 feet within the row, with 4 feet between rows. The curing space required is about 0.5 to 1 sq. ft. per plant, hung in a single tier."

Most cartons of cigarettes have 6OZ of "tobacco" (commercial crap) in them.

So do the math, it comes out to around 37 plants. Maybe 40 to be safe

That is if each plant gives you 5 ounces of tobacco

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
That's why 100 plants seem to be the ideal number, not so many as to not be able to tend them all but enough to supply yourself and let some age. Plus it allows some padding for the vagaries of nature.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Oh man thanks for that info. I'll need half of what I thought I was going to need. I can care for that many. I think I have to go 8' spacing between rows though so I can get my wheelchair through without damaging leaves. Maybe 4' between plants. Should I dare 3'? If I go 24 Virginia and 24 Burley in two rows I will need 96ft by 8ft for the footprint of the patch at 4' between plants with room all around it. At 3' it would be 72ft x 8ft. Having just two rows I can just drag one hose up and down the center. That takes a load off. One man operation here.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Wow more power too you man. For anyone that thinks it's hard they should read your log. Please start one!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
All of the tobacco planting guidlines from the 19th century assume that you will be tilling between the rows with a horse and plow. If your wheelchair is no wider than a horse's back end, then 4' between rows, 3' between plants in a row should work.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That must be why my wife has been calling me a horse's back end all these years. And I thought she was being a smart ass.

BarG

Founding Member
OH GOODIE ! Then I don't need a ruler. I just walk thru.

John

Lol... I'm leaving 3.5'- 4' between rows on some varietys like ct. broadleaf and Pa. red. with 2-2.5' centers. some of the plants had a 4' spread. I had all rows on 3' centers this year. I like to be able to run a tiller between rows and shallow till if weeds get to be a problem.
My bursa and ottoman could have been planted on 18" centers between plants wheras 2' centers worked great for every thing else. I estimated 50 plants for me a year as a carton a week smoker. So I grew 400.;) Now I got 2yrs. cigarettes and 2 yrs. cigars. Next yr. I'll do a similar grow with some new untried varietys and replace my favorites that will inevitably slowly but surely dissapear in a puff of smoke.

marksctm

Alabama,
I did plants 2 foot apart, and rows 3 foot a part and it was way too tight.
I'm going with the horses ass measuring standard next year.
This might give you some Idea Alabma how tight.
PICT0038_0001.jpgweek 6_0003.jpgth_horses-ass-thumb2483689.jpg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thanks guys. I'm going with 8ft this year. I want room to turn around midway and not have to back all the way out. If I can go a little tighter next year I will. I just ordered two 100 ft drip lines and 60 emitters. Having two long rows will also make my irrigation easier to lay out and take back up. I can get 30 plants to each 100 ft pipe for a total of 60. Still more than I think I'll need but BarG's suggestion made me think of keeping some hanging each year and slowing getting some really primo time aged leaf built up. I think the normal weather here in NE Alabama is going to take alot of the work out of curing and aging anyway. Hopefully. Mark I think I went to school with the dude in your third picture.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Mark is that 50-60 plants? Any idea what that translated to in shredded leaf poundage?

DonH

I think you can estimate around five plants per pound but I'm sure that can vary a lot depending on the size of the plants and the varieties.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
OK. Slowly formulating my attack plan for my first season. Accumulating a wealth of knowledge from this intelligence community. I have my topo map on the wall with red and green push pins stuck all in it. I think by the time the leaves start showing some yellow I can slip around from the back side and they'll never know what hit them! ROFL
Sounds good Don 60 plants should get me what I need with a little left for time aging. Smoking less than a pound a month of MYO cigarettes.
Smokes. Good idea on a grow log. When do I start one? Is it like a diary or just hit the high spots?
Bob. That was a pretty good comparison LOL but I need to turn around mid row with out damage.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Smokes. Good idea on a grow log. When do I start one? Is it like a diary or just hit the high spots?
Start any time you like. the "Growing Tobacco" forum would be a good place for the new thread. Just look at me and chicken to see what not to do. :D

May I suggest a title? AK's 2013 Grow Log. OR just Knuck's log

And the best of luck with the new season.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.