Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Insecticide on young seedlings

cincydave

I have red spider mite and white fly on my tobacco seedlings. The seedlings range from about an inch tall to 3 in. Can you use insecticide on Plants this young? The options I have available are sevin, malathione, and something called Ortho Elementals.

Thanks in advance.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
At the time of transplant, I apply 2 cups of water to settle the roots of each seedling. I measure the water quantity (e.g. 32 cups for 16 plants to transplant), and mix in BioAdvanced [Fruit, Citrus & Vegetable] imidacloprid at the rate indicated for tomatoes. The transplant-time imidacloprid lasts for about 2 months of protection, before it has vanished.

For the moment, a one-time spray of water into which a bit of Dawn dish detergent has been mixed will usually control the tiny insects.

Bob

EDIT: I should add that imidacloprid is toxic to pollinators. I use it only on tobacco, and not on tomatoes or other veggies, since veggies produce blossoms early, and pollinators will visit them. By the time that tobacco finally blossoms, the blossom nectar contains little if any imidacloprid.

Last edited: