Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Internet Provider

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBob

Founding Member
What problems are you talking about?
I have centurylink service and it works just fine. It could be cheaper, but all in all it is ok.
If you have problems such as slow line speed or no dsl availability it may be a local issue.

Bob

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I'm getting it here in the next few days , the 10mgb hook up.
So right after I agreed to switch I looked them up on the internet for complaints and man oh man
millions of complaints about every thing from tech help to disconnections to slow speed down to dial up speeds
with a 10 mgb connection. while I was talking to the gal I asked her what speed I would actually download stuff at
right now I have a 1.5 mgb connection and get 175k real download speed so when I asked her she didn't know she had to ask
her supervisor he told her with a 10 mgb connection your actual download speed is 768k. That absolutely does not add up.
It should be 1,166,666 per second not 768,000.
The last 3 or 4 years they went through our county and replaced all the the wires with new ones and some of the lines are
fiber optic ones but not on the side streets just up the main drag. any way I'm worried now that I might have bought a pig in a poke.

dkh2

Update : I called a friend who works for a IP outfit here and he told me we just got scammed
Our area can't handle a 10 mgb speed only up to 5 mgb at the max, in Stevenson they can which is 3 miles from here
and the county seat.
So I called them up to cancel and man the nightmare begins, 1.) there are supposed to be 2 numbers they give you when you
hook up there DSL one is a order number the other is a account number they gave us one number period.
and tried to tell me that they couldn't cancel it with out the 2nd number I blew my stack
I called them out for the liars they were and in 2 minutes a supervisor was on the horn telling me to calm down
I told him how about me joining the class action law suit against your lying tactics and told him about the false 10 mgb
connection and he said just a minute and put me on hold and came back and told me it was all cancelled and my payment should be
back onto my credit card within 24 hours.

DrBob

Founding Member
I do wiring for centurylink, yup that is my gig. Been doin it for 40 years. I work for centurylink as a contract provider I wire the outside plant and remote switching for them. I splice fiber, I splice copper. This internet system is pure magic to me. I can make it work but most days I AM AMAZED by the technology we have now.

p.m. me your phone # and I can find out your equipment specs. 10 meg is quick 1.5 is quick also. Are you wired to cat 5? are you going ethernet cord or are you using a wireless server? The weak link may be in your house. are you coppper fed or fiber fed? How far are from your providing switch?
Bob

dkh2

I sent you the pm
I'm on a 1.5 mgb now with a phone cord I hardwired the two computers from my router
Copper wire phone lines
It's not just the house it's the whole town
Centurylinks info on my town isn't right no providers supply my town with any thing above 5 mb
on phone lines here in Carson. But in Stevenson , 3 miles from here they go up to 12 mb connections

Last edited:

dkh2

Update
I asked my internet provider to up us to a 3 mgb connection they said ok and that it would take
3 to 5 working days to go through the system well after the 4 working days it still was at a 1.5 mgb connection
I called them and they said they sent the " Ticket " into century link and they hadn't done it yet So this last Monday
the 5th working day I called them again and they told me to call back this Thursday the 3rd and that will be the 8th
working day and I asked what the big problem was and they told me only half the town could get a 3 mgb connection
and the other half can only get a 1.5 connection because of Century links copper wire telephone lines weren't up to the job
I told them they called us up and offered us a 10 mgb connection and your telling me that we might not be able to get a 3 mgb
connection and further more that here in Carson I was told that the max here was a 5 mgb hook up now you guys are telling me
I might be maxed out at a 1.5 mgb connection what the hell gives why does every one lie don't you think were going
to put it to the test ? Once we get it hooked up ?
And when I test the connection I have now at one of those internet speed tests outfits it only goes up to 1.47 not 1.5 mgb's
But if I go to a Centurylink speed test it's faster ????????
Download Speed: 1.516 Mbps (0.2 MB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 0.369 Mbps (0 MB/sec transfer rate)

I am beginning to think that it's time to blew the whistle to the county people.
I'm wondering how many people in my town pay for something they don't get and don't realize it ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know what speed test you're using, though most (other than one belonging to the service that you're testing) are pretty accurate.

One that I have been using for a number of years (free) is http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/. It allows you to select a city to connect to. I've found that my speed differs significantly, depending on the trunk line through which I'm connecting. From SW Virginia, I tend to get the slowest speeds connecting to New York and Washington DC. Connecting to Chicago, San Francisco and Dallas seem to give me the best speeds.

Bob

dkh2

I did several tests
One of the main complaints about Centurylink is that there speed test set ups are the only ones that
say you have a 10 mgb connection and you use another one it's nowhere near that
Check out those links I posted about the complaints.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
What that's probably telling you is that your direct connection to Centurylink may, in fact, be 10 mbits, but it is throttled between there and the trunk line to which they connect. I use a G3 mobile connection from Virgin Mobile. The connection to Virgin Mobile usually sits at about 3.1 mbits, whereas my connection beyond their hallowed router is throttled to about 0.9 mbits down and 0.45 mbits upload. For more money, they'll bless me with more bandwidth. Fraud is the name of the business. So I limit my video viewing to those worth the wait--that's not many.

Bob

dkh2

Today is the day it's supposed to go to 3 mgb connection
So I re set the modem and router today and did 5 speed tests around the internet
and the best was 2.24 down and .38 up
with the average at 2.10 mgbs down and .310 mgb up for a 3 mgb connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.