Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

John L. Ashworth

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Hello friends,

this is John's son Eric.

I wish to thank you all for your kind thoughts as you post them on this site. I am so happy that my father was loved and respected by a great group of people.
We will sorely miss the type of man who will learn, help, teach, share, bullshit with and argue with you.

He was a genius, but did not really let you know. He much preferred to help as much as he thought you could handle and let you learn from your mistakes. That train of thought led to some intersting mistakes on my part growing up....

He held many patents from his days as a research engineer. He invented the LED light while researching lasers. He was given one of the first scanning electron microscopes that did not function and made it work. He was responsible for the silicon wafer machines that cost over a million each and was sent to install them in different parts of the world.

He loved growing tobacco, talking about it, drying it, trying whatever it took for a better harvest. It was a great pastime these last couple of years.

In the end, cancer defeated him, but on his terms. He just chose not to eat, rather than let cancer take away his dignity. He was unbelievably strong and stubborn of mind.

He did not suffer and he would not want his friends to as well. I am posting one of my favorite pictures of him, please remember him fondly.

He would never have wanted money wasted on flowers, he was a CT Yankee and that would make no sense to him.

He would say have a puff on your cigar, raise a sip of workhorses' special stuff that comes out of chlorox bottle and enjoy.

Eric

JohnLee 001.jpg

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
he was a kind guy...

a man I considered to be my FRIEND..

DGBAMA

Thank you Eric for taking time to share.

I am reminded of my father's attitude about death.....

"Remember the times we had; do not regret that I am gone".

rose

Thank you so much Eric. Even tho I'm new to the forum, reading your dad's posts and hearing what others have to say, it's obvious he was one of a kind, and kind to the core.

LED's...can't wait to tell hub/he uses them for everything including his night bike rides. A quiet genius, I love it.

I've had 2 friends with cancer in this past year. One chose not to fight it and did it her way just like your dad. The other is still fighting putting herself thru all sorts of treatments that only make her sicker. I would chose to enjoy the time I had while still quality and then wind it up on my own terms too. We don't die/we progress.

I've thought of you too through all of this/how is his son?

Much appreciation for letting us know.

The picture is wonderful~I'm saving it and the one Knucks posted. As we age our faces are a road-map of our lives. Your father has one of the most beautiful road-maps I've ever seen. I would wish to be so fortunate.

love,

~rose

Attachments

• Hug.JPG
    Hug.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 109

workhorse_01

Thank you for the picture. We talked often of the clean rooms, the flights out west, and the patents, but what he enjoyed most was being a handyman. I think the wisdom was to do the work you enjoy. Money would only get you so far, but happiness would carry you your whole life. Now the emails and phone calls have stopped, and there is a void in our lives that will remain until we talk again, and we will talk again.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
RIP my friend. Thank you for all you shared with us here.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i think about the ol' fellow a lot,

he was a good internet friend, that influenced many...

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I probably got to work on one of His waffer equip. tools at Intel, one time or another. There are alot of folks that dont like to tell it all outside of a shot of shine or drink. I too have a few patents and My boys are already talkin when I go. That is a great pic. I would be proud, as You are. My boys tell good things to Me about My achivements and how proud they are. Chokes Me up. LED's WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.