Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Just how different are all the varieties anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'm starting to wonder if the only real difference is in leaf size and thickness. Physical characteristics. I realize they have different chemical makeups but when you get right down to it and roll a cigar it seems the only real difference in taste comes from aging. I've had some expensive cigars, many cheap cigars and to tell you the truth some of the best were ones i handrolled from 2-3 year old burley. i think about this like i think about red wine: maybe some people really can dinstinguish all kinds of flavors, notes etc, but i'm no sommelier and find myself happy with just about any dry, real (red)wine. well this year i am betting i cant tell the difference with tobacco either, and just growing one type that has the size and chems i want. if the flavor ends up the same i think i'll be a 1 variety guy.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Smokes,
When I remove different varieties from my kiln--now fully aged, each is distinct in flavor, pH, burn characteristics, aroma, moisture uptake rates, ash color and general appearance. While tobacco certainly differs when handled differently, if it's all handled the same way, different varieties give you something different.

My personal opinion is that any aged leaf will be improved by blending with just about any other aged leaf. I think you can get in the ballpark of a nice selection of blends by growing four distinct varieties, separating their leaf positions, and adjusting the blend ratios. I would view being limited to a single variety as a missed opportunity.

I currently have 43 varieties started for this year. That is not entirely sane, but will provide a substantial array of seed and tastings. I expect to reduce the number of varieties significantly next year, but don't anticipate going below about a dozen. (Hell, just the unique Turkish varieties tally up to 9 varieties this year. Each of the 6 Oriental varieties I grew last year can be identified blindfolded, when fully aged, once they're lit.)

On the flip side, most cigarette smokers settle on a single brand for years at a time, and are satisfied with that.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps "expect" was too strong a verb. I am considering appointing a blue ribbon committee to study the possibility of evaluating a reduction in the number of varieties during the mid-term time frame, if such a reduction is found to be in keeping with the existing goals of the enterprise and predictable future constraints and aspirations.

Bob, maybe.

BarG

Founding Member
On the flip side, most cigarette smokers settle on a single brand for years at a time, and are satisfied with that.

Bob

Try relating going to smoking Whole Leaf numerous varietys to 43 yrs. of marlboro. I used to think smoking was a habit, Now its fun. [I smoke less now and enjoy it more].

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Perhaps "expect" was too strong a verb. I am considering appointing a blue ribbon committee to study the possibility of evaluating a reduction in the number of varieties during the mid-term time frame, if such a reduction is found to be in keeping with the existing goals of the enterprise and predictable future constraints and aspirations.

Bob, maybe.

Why not just ask our esteemed government to do it. They will form a committee of "experts" and you won't have to worry about a decision for years. :<))

John

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im hoping after this years grow,,,, and expermenting with the different varities,

that next year i can have just 4 varities in the garden

Rayshields

Good post BarG, I didn't have time to read it all right now, but I saved it. It has a lot of historical information on tobacco. This plant has a long rich history in this country and many others.

johnlee1933

Founding Member

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
BarG,
That's a good read that I somehow missed in the past. As with many older books on tobacco, you have to take some of the information with a grain of salt. The author is a physician with amateur (though extensive) knowledge of the subject.

Brennan W.A.: Tobacco Leaf said:
LITTLE DUTCH: A very favorite pipe-smoking tobacco. It has a small nicotine content (less than 1%). The leaf is small; narrow, thick and short ; dark brown in color, glossy surface and sweet in taste. It is grown extensively in the Miami Valley of Ohio.
Here, the description is mostly correct. Anyone who has grown Little Dutch will immediately notice that the leaf is anything but small and short. It is, in fact, nearly 3 feet long. The rest of the description is reasonable. Of course, even in 1915, Little Dutch was and still is used primarily for cigars, rather than pipe tobacco.

For anyone interested in reading the book, I would encourage you to download the (much larger) .pdf version. [click "other formats"]. It's easier to read, and avoids the frequent gibberish of the OCR text-only version.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member

"For anyone interested in reading the book, I would encourage you to download the (much larger) .pdf version. [click "other formats"]. It's easier to read, and avoids the frequent gibberish of the OCR text-only version."

Bob

Bob, I saved this file shortly after joining the forum and was hesitant to post till I did a search for a duplicate link. I didn't realize there was another larger version while reading this morning. It had an interesting bit towards the end on improving combustibility which I found interesting.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
This is interesting...

"N. Crispa. Grown in Syria and largely in Central Asia. Used as a cigarette tobacco in the Orient."

This link makes a good read on classifications of tobacco leaves, regions where grown, types of tobacco and specifics on what they are used for. http://www.archive.org/stream/tobaccoleavesbei00brenrich/tobaccoleavesbei00brenrich_djvu.txt

I found this in one of my saved files from a year ago and understand it much better now than I did then.
I grabbed the PDF. This is just too important of a document to risk being lost due to budget cuts or any other excuse.

BarG

Founding Member

Bob, maybe.

This is meant as a compliment on how to answer a question Bob, so please take it with the fun intended.
Have you ever thought of running for public office because you could sure give them a run for there money, If you had a mind to! :cool:

Rayshields

Since no one else is seeking this office, I make a motion that we dispense with the formalities and elect him by acclamation...do I hear a second?

Status
Not open for further replies.