Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Knucklehead's 2022 Prilep and Veggie Container Grow Blog

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Projected last frost date April 22.

My projected seedling start date was supposed to be Feb. 22 but I'm running a little late. I can't lift more than five lbs. with my right arm for a couple weeks due to heart cath and two stints so I'm kicking back trying to learn how to play slide guitar. I feel better than I have in years so laying around is driving me nuts. I'm hoping I can get seed in for the tobacco, tomato, and beans this weekend. Corn and okra seed will be started March 22. Squash and the Knucklehead pumpkin seed that deluxestogie send to me from Johnny's Seed will be started April 4. Keeping my fingers crossed. This will be a total container grow and I've never done that before. One and three gallon grow bags. All seed will be started in 1020 cells under light then moved to outside. Wish me luck!

Varieties
Prilep P66-9/7
Silver Queen corn
Clemson Spineless Okra
Big Boy tomato
Better Boy tomato
Rutgers tomato
Early Summer Crookneck yellow squash
Knucklehead pumpkin
Stringless Green Pod bush beans
Kentucky Blue pole beans

Will use the "three sisters" Native American method with the corn, beans and squash. Hope that works with containers?

The Knucklehead pumpkin photo. I wonder what Bob was trying to say?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Will use the "three sisters" Native American method with the corn, beans and squash. Hope that works with containers?
Fully grown corn will tip the container over in a gusty wind. I would be inclined to closely surround the "3-sister"-containers with those of lower profile plants. Or you could stake the "3-sister" containers.

The Knucklehead pumpkin container is guaranteed not to blow over.

Bob

new boy

Projected last frost date April 22.

My projected seedling start date was supposed to be Feb. 22 but I'm running a little late. I can't lift more than five lbs. with my right arm for a couple weeks due to heart cath and two stints so I'm kicking back trying to learn how to play slide guitar. I feel better than I have in years so laying around is driving me nuts. I'm hoping I can get seed in for the tobacco, tomato, and beans this weekend. Corn and okra seed will be started March 22. Squash and the Knucklehead pumpkin seed that deluxestogie send to me from Johnny's Seed will be started April 4. Keeping my fingers crossed. This will be a total container grow and I've never done that before. One and three gallon grow bags. All seed will be started in 1020 cells under light then moved to outside. Wish me luck!

Varieties
Prilep P66-9/7
Silver Queen corn
Clemson Spineless Okra
Big Boy tomato
Better Boy tomato
Rutgers tomato
Early Summer Crookneck yellow squash
Knucklehead pumpkin
Stringless Green Pod bush beans
Kentucky Blue pole beans

The Knucklehead pumpkin photo. I wonder what Bob was trying to say?
Good luck hope goes well. I put a load of seeds in then the one from the states arrived as well so got 24 different tobacco’s in now !

Oldfella

Good luck hope goes well. I put a load of seeds in then the one from the states arrived as well so got 24 different tobacco’s in now !
Good luck with your grow, 24 varieties o_O I'm growing 20 I am starting to harvest now and even though they are well named and each plant has its own tag you have to be real careful. An oopsy could be a disaster, all mixed up. Been there, done that. I have a whole row (9 plants) that have been wind stirred. Still as I often say, saves blending. The problem comes when you try to repeat it.
Oldfella

new boy

Good luck with your grow, 24 varieties o_O I'm growing 20 I am starting to harvest now and even though they are well named and each plant has its own tag you have to be real careful. An oopsy could be a disaster, all mixed up. Been there, done that. I have a whole row (9 plants) that have been wind stirred. Still as I often say, saves blending. The problem comes when you try to repeat it.
Oldfella
Yes I did 13 last year I will be careful! Quick question can you ferment tobacco fo too long and if so what is the affect ?

Alpine

How long do you ferment for ?
Leaves are usually kilned for 4 to 6 weeks, but a couple of weeks more can do no harm (especially with burley strains) so long that temperature and humidity are kept in the ideal range. Flue cured strains are smokable right out of the curing chamber, but benefit of a week or two of “rest” after the cure.

pier

new boy

Leaves are usually kilned for 4 to 6 weeks, but a couple of weeks more can do no harm (especially with burley strains) so long that temperature and humidity are kept in the ideal range. Flue cured strains are smokable right out of the curing chamber, but benefit of a week or two of “rest” after the cure.

pier
Ok thank you that’s helpful

Knucklehead

Founding Member

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Snow pictures!

8D457074-FD6C-4B5E-95D6-B33377770D55.jpeg
C6DBE818-C03F-4232-8707-50838D8656B5.jpeg
C4BB831E-A790-44B2-8657-FDD5B5598D5C.jpeg
59A7735C-374C-4942-A5B2-1D1BE098ABEA.jpeg

Alabama blizzard. Supposed to be down to 19F tonight. A couple of days ago I was running around in short sleeves and 80F. Cold and windy today. The plants are enjoying their heat mat, they don't want to go outside.