Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Legality of selling "scrap"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I was just wondering how folks get away selling "scrap" tobacco (I've bought it before) and didn't have to pay excise tax etc even though the midrib was not intact, any information is appreciated

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Scrap is considered to be the same as whole leaf.

7 CFR 29.3565 in the Code of Federal Regulations

Title 7: Agriculture (Updated 1-01-11)

Subtitle B: Regulations of the Department of Agriculture

Chapter I: Agricultural marketing Service (Standards, Inspections, Marketing Practices), Department of Agriculture

Sub-Chapter A: Commodity Standards and Standard Container Regulations

Subpart C: Standards

29.3565 - UNSTEMMED

A form of tobacco, including whole leaf and leaf SCRAP, from which the stems or midribs have not been removed.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I'm unfamiliar with that term. I'm guessing it has to do with the application of moist tobacco to a bee sting?

I wasn't lookin' for a loophole I was just curious if I had broken a law when I bought it (think it was from you Don, haha) thanks for the info!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Nothing wrong with a good loophole when the law in question is unconstitutional imo.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
When the law is just plain wrong I don't see the need for a loophole. Just a back door and a fast car.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Not sure what the "bee" loophole really is but beekeepers will often use tobacco leaf in their smokers when they work their bees. The tobacco smoke is supossed to kill Varroa Mites and it is thought to be less toxic than the currently approved miticides.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Not sure what the "bee" loophole really is but beekeepers will often use tobacco leaf in their smokers when they work their bees. The tobacco smoke is supossed to kill Varroa Mites and it is thought to be less toxic than the currently approved miticides.

I've never heard that. We have a couple of hives we'll have to give that a try. Thanks.

notcrack

I've smoked "Bee tobacco" it puts hairs on your chest, thats for sure. I have some scrap tobacco thats marketed as pigeon bed as well. It's just a funny little loop hole.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I was just curious if I had broken a law when I bought it (think it was from you Don, haha)

If you bought it from me, you bought it legally.

Yes, Bee tobacco is used for smoking bees before removing the comb frames.

Another loophole you might want to consider is "packaging material"...kind of like that straw kind-of stuff you get with imported items.

Of course you can always sell your tobacco as "Whole Leaf", most of the trail has been cleared for you already.

driftinmark

:Dsmokeable packing material, good one, lol..... just stick a piece of bubblegum in it and sell it as gourmet bubblegum, packing material free, lol

Ishi

+1 they say it is supposed to drop the Mites. I just dried all the suckers and use that. Even if it dose not work it makes lots of cool smoke.
Dan

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
+1 they say it is supposed to drop the Mites. I just dried all the suckers and use that. Even if it dose not work it makes lots of cool smoke.
Dan

I find it quite enjoyable to smoke my bees with cigar scrap in the smoker... what a pleasent smell!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.