Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

let's see your veggie garden {pics}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boboro

I dont know if my corns gonna make. I filled the rows with 34-0-0 and the grass looks like corn. I tryed tillin and weedeatin but couldnt keep up with it. My garden is a mount behind where it is most years. Ant worth the digitel film to post pics.

workhorse_01

Just cover the grass with dirt. Leave no green grass showing. You can cover up to the first two corn leaves.

workhorse_01

Don't feel bad! I was up on mine then 3 days of rain and it looks like I grew some peas in the yard, all lush and green grass. Why can I grow grass so well in the garden (where I don't want it ) but not by the front door where I do? Maybe next year i'll grow the garden by the front door and the lawn in the garden! LOL
Ant enuff dirt in the garden. Its real bad. Im ashamed of it but will post pics.

Boboro

I got a spot where a grew a row of baccer last year and put it back to the yard. hardly any grass is growin in it. I didnt put 34-0-0 on it.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Don't feel bad! I was up on mine then 3 days of rain and it looks like I grew some peas in the yard, all lush and green grass. Why can I grow grass so well in the garden (where I don't want it ) but not by the front door where I do? Maybe next year i'll grow the garden by the front door and the lawn in the garden! LOL
Might be easier to move the front door.

workhorse_01

The thing about that ammonium nitrate 34-0-0 is that if done right the next three years will be better than this year. I make the hills with the tractor then when they get to about a foot tall I side the crop then I fill the small ditch with fertilizer 3" wide by a 1/4" deep then run the middles all this covers the fertilizer and grass too, so 2 birds with 1 rock. The fertilizer is just out of reach of the plant roots so as to not burn them, but then them roots start to sniff that 34-0-0 and the plants start to explode upward!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
you dont even want to know what all i go thru to make the perfect fertilizer mix.

Boboro

Busy pictures 007.JPGBusy pictures 007.JPGMy corn has sproted millions of baby corn. Thats my story.Busy pictures 008.JPGA few mators.Busy pictures 006.JPG Todays progect that I didnt finish.

workhorse_01

The wife and I were cutting ditches to get rid of the standing water today. I don't know if my garden is going to survive this. The road is full my ditches are full and my garden is full. We need two weeks at 90*F with no rain.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
These are a couple of my veggie beds.

Garden20130614_680_peas_400.jpg

Claxton garden peas.

In the past, I've grown a lot of snow peas, which can be added as a whole pod raw to a salad, when small, or can be cooked. The beauty is that snow peas allow you to eat the entire pod, since they are much less fibrous than garden peas. The downside is that last summer, I finally grew weary of thinking of new ways to consume the prolific quantities of snow peas that my tiny patch was producing. So this season, I planted only Claxton garden peas. To my surprise, even the tiniest, immature pods are tough as nails, so I'll have to wait for the pods to mature, and then shell out the peas.

Garden20130614_681_veggieBed_netting_400.jpg

Bird netting over veggie bed, to keep out rabbits.

In this second photo, you can see that I've draped plastic bird netting over most of this bed. The rabbits are still able to graze on the pepperonccini plants at either end, but they were beginning to grow through the netting, and had to be excluded. The major motivation for the netting was to preserve the row of radicchio, near the foreground. My bunny friends were mowing it down as soon as it stood.

Now, understand that radicchio sells for $3 to $4 per tiny head at the market, when you can find it. And it is slow to germinate, so was started indoors in March. A serious pain in the ass to grow. (If you've never used radicchio, it's sometimes seen in veggie stands as baseball-sized, red and white cabbage-like things with a high price. It's used as a condiment in a salad blend, to add a slightly edgy, radish like taste.) With the netting over it, all the heads (my variety grows more like a romaine) have recovered.

Also in that bed are climbing cucumbers, Pingtung long eggplant and boxwood basil.

My 15 tomato plants look like tomatoes, so no pic. Ditto for 6 varieties of squash (some summer, some winter) that have needed Serenade spraying to fight off mildew from the damp weather, and are growing well.

Cukes haven't started producing yet. My extra-short season watermelon and cantaloupe have been slow to get going. They never seem to work out here in southwest Virginia.

Bob

DGBAMA

Think I would fix the pest problem by having some fresh rabbit stew with those nice veggies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i'd set some traps and catch them rabbit's,

but be cautious, you cant eat them on certain months, i think if it has a '' r '' in it you can eat them,,????

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer to outsmart my opponents, rather than kill and eat them.

This is a photo I posted a year ago:

Garden20120619_251_RabbitInTobaccoPot_CARD_300.jpg

I'll leave the rabbits for the foxes, owls and hawks, since they also eat rodents.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I prefer to outsmart my opponents, rather than kill and eat them.

I'll leave the rabbits for the foxes, owls and hawks, since they also eat rodents.

Bob

You can build a rabbit box and relocate them. We did that at my father's house when raccoons were tearing up his trash and stuff. We moved them to a place my cousin coon hunts, but you can move the rabbits to a refuge type location. Wild rabbits are scarce around here due to the increase in the predator population and loss of habitat.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The thin bird netting works just fine for keeping rabbits away from specific areas. Actually, a low fence made of netting (about 1 foot high) works just as well. Although you might think that a rabbit would just chuckle at it, and jump over, they don't. I suspect that they can't actually see the netting, day or night, and encounter an invisible, annoying barrier that they don't understand in their tiny rabbit brains.

For the bed in the picture above, I made a tent rather than a low fence for two reasons. It's a nuisance to cut bird netting in a straight line. And since there was already a trellis down the center of the bed, it would support the netting without additional work.

I have no personal attachment to bunnies. I've shot them or snared them, and eaten them for food in the past. (At the USAF Survival Training, up in the Cascades, snaring a bunny for dinner is a big time catch. Much nicer than eating squirrel or grasshoppers.) They taste good. But no need to kill them or exile them at the moment.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.