Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Living like a Hobbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
I've been accused of it from time to time, living like a hobbit but I don't live in a hole in the ground. I put a plater together for me and the missus and thought I could pass up the oppertunity to photograph it because it's looked rather nice.

attachment.php

I've been reading up on the process of cheese making, salami making, and brandy making. I think Char and I are going to try our hand at making a few of these foods for next seasons holidays.

Attachments

• 2014-12-28 18.48.44.jpg
    2014-12-28 18.48.44.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 122

darren1979

First Time Grower
Looks good enough to eat, I love salami and cheese.
I've never tried making any tho it's one of them things on my too do list.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Nice, actually I'd prefer red wine instead of brandy with that setup but there's no accounting for taste.

Smokin Harley

I've been accused of it from time to time, living like a hobbit but I don't live in a hole in the ground. I put a plater together for me and the missus and thought I could pass up the oppertunity to photograph it because it's looked rather nice.

attachment.php

I've been reading up on the process of cheese making, salami making, and brandy making. I think Char and I are going to try our hand at making a few of these foods for next seasons holidays.
Are you planning a hot smoked salami or the aged cold smoked type? I've made a very tasty hot smoked venison salami for many(20+) years . Took a basic recipe ,tweaked it over many years and sessions and came up with one everyone who tastes it just cant seem to get enough of .Let me just throw a bit of tried and true at you - alder ,apple and cherry wood and about 6-8 hours does a smoked salami very nicely. BTW- I like the look of those churchwardens ...a LOT.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
Are you planning a hot smoked salami or the aged cold smoked type? I've made a very tasty hot smoked venison salami for many(20+) years . Took a basic recipe ,tweaked it over many years and sessions and came up with one everyone who tastes it just cant seem to get enough of .Let me just throw a bit of tried and true at you - alder ,apple and cherry wood and about 6-8 hours does a smoked salami very nicely. BTW- I like the look of those churchwardens ...a LOT.

I will be hot smoking with apple wood. I save the cherry wood for the springs and sockeye. I did a salted pork brine on some left over peices of loin and it was fantastic just at that. I can only imagine what it'll be like when I ferment the meat properly in wine then add the spices (probably just peppercorns).

I discovered the awesomeness of apple wood quit a few years ago when I cooked my favorite cut of meat over it (full rack of pork ribs). Usually I just add a can of apple wood chips to the barb when cooking and replenish as needed. I have made a marinade to go along with it too.

rustycase

Nicely set table, Will !

While you are out there surfing the web for recipes, have a look at lacto fermentation.
Plenty to learn there, and it's all EZ.
Best
rc

Smokin Harley

I will be hot smoking with apple wood. I save the cherry wood for the springs and sockeye. I did a salted pork brine on some left over peices of loin and it was fantastic just at that. I can only imagine what it'll be like when I ferment the meat properly in wine then add the spices (probably just peppercorns).

I discovered the awesomeness of apple wood quit a few years ago when I cooked my favorite cut of meat over it (full rack of pork ribs). Usually I just add a can of apple wood chips to the barb when cooking and replenish as needed. I have made a marinade to go along with it too.

Never tried the fermenting in wine . Let me know how it works out . I thought though that if you plan to ferment the salami it doesnt get hot smoked ...maybe you were talking about two different methods.

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
Man, I'm late to this thread, but the Hobbit life is all I've ever aspired to. I'm about to plant a staggering vegetable garden, 30 baccy plants, a buttload of flowers, and my ass in a chair to spend the summer on DIY and raising babies. Maybe some homebrew, some Tolkien, mm yeah.

chuditch

I have a hobbit brass candle chandelier in our lounge room. Bought it in Indonesia in Java I remember being told "Oh yes sir genuine antique very old" Which I took with a grain of salt later watching the Lord of the Rings there in the hobbits house was our chandelier Ha ha. Still like it though :D The house which I made with mud brick and lumber cut on the farm has moved through candle and lantern to American Aladdin Oil lamps to a 12 volt system and now we have all the mod cons with a 84 panel solar power station. We still occasionally if having guests forgo the electric light for all candle power or fire up the Aladdin oil lamps. Gives a nice effect. I am quoted as saying the house and myself both look much better by candle light :D

Status
Not open for further replies.