Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Maduro Question

AromatiX

Hi guys, I want to say I have made a triple maduro cigar just for fun (Using Maduro for Binder , Filler, Wrapper) . I was wondering what tobaccos do we have commonly available ( WLT etc) that would be classified as Maduro? I know there are wrapper leaves classified as Maduro but what about fillers and Binder?

MarcL

I see what you did there. I like to do that too. .. though maduro does have a kind of sales term as far as color, (dark) and has been thought to be associated with strong cigars, it really is only by design. Maduro means ripe and, if that is the case then ripened leaf can be anything.
Maduro wrappers have been made in different ways by the commercial industry other then ripeness like, dyeing or pressing (bruising).
I tend to further ripen (ferment) most of my leaf because of the way I do my prep/sorting. I get the case up (dampness) to get the wrinkles and stuff out. It gets aerated in the process and seems to do the job with some time.

AromatiX

Thanks for the replies, I knew that colour was only part of it so I was kind of going with tobacco that had the title maduro already but I didn’t see any fillers. One of my favourite cigars is the Camacho triple maduro and I’m not trying to copy it I just kind of wanna do the same thing and I figured even if I couldn’t true maduro for filler I could at least maybe go with dark and then I could call it a triple Negra. And then I could try tweaking it to make it a cigar I like and enjoy.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
On the commercial leaf market, cigar wrappers and cigar binders are usually categorized using their color (claro, colorado, maduro, oscuro). High quality leaf (not artificially colored) is lighter in color at the bottom of the stalk, darker as you go up the stalk, and darkest at the very top of the stalk. This same sequence, from the bottom of the stalk to the very top is named volado, seco, viso, ligero and corona for commercial filler leaf. It's just a quirk of the industry, with a lot of leeway. Even more confusing is that the naming practices are different for other types of tobacco, such as burley. But the story is always the same. Larger, thinner, lighter color leaves with lower nicotine come from the bottom of the stalk. As you go up the stalk, leaves become gradually smaller, thicker, darker in color, and higher in nicotine.

What you are looking for is dark leaf, which would be labeled "maduro" or "viso" or "ligero"--however you (or the marketeers) wish to name it.

Bob

AromatiX

Yeah OK I’m starting to see the whole picture, it is funny how things are loosely defined, especially for marketing, like double ligero for instance , that could mean anything really, it would depend on the type of leaves how large they are where they are positioned in the cigar probably, so you could have double ligero , yet still have a medium cigar. Of course this I’m sure is all old news for many of you more experienced rollers. You really do learn a lot by buying whole leaf tobacco and rolling your own cigars

ghettobrew

On the commercial leaf market, cigar wrappers and cigar binders are usually categorized using their color (claro, colorado, maduro, oscuro). High quality leaf (not artificially colored) is lighter in color at the bottom of the stalk, darker as you go up the stalk, and darkest at the very top of the stalk. This same sequence, from the bottom of the stalk to the very top is named volado, seco, viso, ligero and corona for commercial filler leaf. It's just a quirk of the industry, with a lot of leeway. Even more confusing is that the naming practices are different for other types of tobacco, such as burley. But the story is always the same. Larger, thinner, lighter color leaves with lower nicotine come from the bottom of the stalk. As you go up the stalk, leaves become gradually smaller, thicker, darker in color, and higher in nicotine.

What you are looking for is dark leaf, which would be labeled "maduro" or "viso" or "ligero"--however you (or the marketeers) wish to name it.

Bob
Bob, just to make sure I understand - is all commercial Maduro (that isn't artificially coloured, Negra, etc.) just ligero or corona leaf?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...is all commercial Maduro...
That is a reasonable estimate. "Maduro" is a subjective color category, and not a well-defined one. It is used to categorize leaf after it has been fully color-cured and fermented. Stalk positions are identifiable out in the tobacco field, since they describe a relative growing level on the plant stalk. Some seco leaf cures to a "maduro" color, as happened with my Nostrano del Brenta. I would guess that most viso and most ligero could be categorized as "maduro". Some ligero is dark enough to be called "oscuro".

It is easy to be confused by the swirling mixture of very old, traditional tobacco terms and relatively new, predictably obfuscating, marketing terms. Since most home-growers and home-rollers of tobacco approach the subject with their only prior experience limited to tobacco marketeering, there is a learning curve.

Read the section of the WLT wiki on tobacco terminology, and the section on cigars.

Bob

Kuufuu

I see what you did there. I like to do that too. .. though maduro does have a kind of sales term as far as color, (dark) and has been thought to be associated with strong cigars, it really is only by design. Maduro means ripe and, if that is the case then ripened leaf can be anything.
Maduro wrappers have been made in different ways by the commercial industry other then ripeness like, dyeing or pressing (bruising).
I tend to further ripen (ferment) most of my leaf because of the way I do my prep/sorting. I get the case up (dampness) to get the wrinkles and stuff out. It gets aerated in the process and seems to do the job with some time.
During your prep, do you find it easier to cut all your binder and wrapper and store until needed or just prep during the process?

MarcL

During your prep, do you find it easier to cut all your binder and wrapper and store until needed or just prep during the process?
Mostly during the process of finishing though, there is a manor in which, there is staging the prep that happens depending on the needs of the leaf.